We were an OC & a QB away from being a top 20

bullman3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Now we have found our guy in Hill as that QB, now we just need an OC that can create an offense that is exciting, productive and most importantly, molded to Hill's strengths.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

Had a commitment and couldn't even listen to the game.  So I guess Hill played instead of Julmiste?  How did he do?  I'm starved for info about the game, as you can tell...

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Let's put it this way - we still lost.  All the Chill arguers will say that he's our man, but he couldn't do it for us.  Their next excuse will be that it is all the OC.  If it is all the OC, then it isn't PJ's fault either...

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

with better development and playcalling PJ may have been more productive.

rod smith the QB coach and later OC

CHill maybe successful despite rod smith

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

WRs have to catch the ball.   >:(

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143

I just don't get it...  Yeah - Hill was in for a good portion of the 2nd half, but - COME ON!!!  QB Keeper Left, QB Draw Middle, QB Keeper Right, - repeat several more times...

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???!!  ARE THOSE THE BEST PLAYS WE CAN COME UP W/ DOWN 3 SCORES?!?!?

They were bringing their safeties up and we're still running freaking QB Keepers...   A few times Hall stayed in to block, but when he did, Hill rolled waaaaaaaaay outta the pocket - and never would just throw it away..   Oh - except for the last play I saw, where he "threw it away" right into the arms of WVU defender...

Sorry to complain...  but I'm a very worried "day 1" season ticket holder - and I'm not seeing it get any better...  IF - IF - IF it is Rod Smith that is calling these asinine plays (clock running, down by 3 scores, 8 men in the box and keep calling QB keepers???) - If that is all he has, then yeah - I don't see this team doing much better than 6-5..   ever...  which is really really really disappointing!

(the strikes that CH did throw did look pretty nice - alot of heat on the ball!  hopefully there is some potential there - IF they ever put together some schemes to go downfield..  ugh - and don't even get me started on these lame patterns they have the receivers running...)

OH - and gee...  should we be concerned that during the last regular season game, CH had to refer to his cheat sheet (which was HUGE - so big he was wearing it on his waist!!) for EVERY FREAKIN PLAY!?!?!?!?  Is he NOT studying the offense - does he NOT have a grasp on it yet...  after a year?!?!

Again - sorry folks.. venting..  and frustrated..   and already worried about "next year"...     :-/

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Now we have found our guy in Hill as that QB, now we just need an OC that can create an offense that is exciting, productive and most importantly, molded to Hill's strengths.  

Ya our defense was excellent and our WRs they didn't drop the ball...Our Oline held up great all night!!!

Its easy to blame it on one side...

Lets not be stupid, this is a 6-5 team and just that...we are a few seasons away from being a legit top 25 team...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Despite all the predictability, he led a drive from our own 6 to the WVU 30 or so before the drive bogged down.  The touhcdown run and the 4th down conversion leading up to it were all Hill.  Kid has talent, and delivered a nice ball.  Made freshman mistakes.

PJ was good, not great.

We made it inside the 5 twice and settled for field goals.  3 instead of 7 against a good team will make you lose.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Ya our defense was excellent and our WRs they didn't drop the ball...Our Oline held up great all night!!!

Its easy to blame it on one side...

Lets not be stupid, this is a 6-5 team and just that...we are a few seasons away from being a legit top 25 team...

Really though, the OC is just OBVIOUS.  WVU has a better team than us, but you'd think we didnt play to win at all based on the playcalling.

Are you really saying we can't be 8-3 this season, with our losses being to WVU, Miami, and Penn State?  What about that Pitt game and that UConn game did our defense kill us with?  A special team mistake or two hurt, but let's look at it this way:

I know of no team in 1-a for a long time that has a winning record when they score less than 20 points.  Not making that count vs miami or penn state is understandable.  Not making that count vs uconn (which cincy could, by the way) or vs pitt?  Come on.  Rather than putting us over 20, our O handed pitt enough turnovers to beat us.

If one side of the ball is consistently (and it certainly has been consistent) worse than the other, its time for an upgrade...

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

this is as much lEAVITT'S FAULT

AS SMITH'S