• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Eligibility Extensions

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,357
  • Days Won:  255

I can’t wait until we have Football rosters that are 150 deep, shouldn’t be an issue at all. Unless of course schools are going to have to make roster decisions to not extend scholarships to athletes that aren’t up to snuff at a greater rate than they already do. Technically a four year scholarship is like having a franchise tag placed on you every season until it’s not but most programs try to avoid not extending it because it’s a bad look but if people keep coming in and no one is going out something has to give at some point especially if there is no money coming into to the coffers to pay for the ever growing headcount.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I can’t wait until we have Football rosters that are 150 deep, shouldn’t be an issue at all. Unless of course schools are going to have to make roster decisions to not extend scholarships to athletes that aren’t up to snuff at a greater rate than they already do. Technically a four year scholarship is like having a franchise tag placed on you every season until it’s not but most programs try to avoid not extending it because it’s a bad look but if people keep coming in and no one is going out something has to give at some point especially if there is no money coming into to the coffers to pay for the ever growing headcount.

Don’t think it will be 150. There will be players transferring, and a few maybe sitting out for the NFL (if there was a spring season). Also, Due to financial reasons, the program may simply not recruit as many players.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Don’t think it will be 150. There will be redshirts, players transferring, and a few maybe sitting out for the NFL (if there was a spring season). 

Oh you assume there is a 💯 safe time somewhere around the corner despite being two hundred and something days into not safe enough, most nice ideas sound great in theory but become uncontrollable in their negative consequences when put into something practice. Either way if someone planned on bringing in a full class this season and they attrition five how do they deal with the   net positives without cutting scholarships or not actually bringing in the current class? Something has to give somewhere.

Just now, puc86 said:

Oh you assume there is a 💯 safe time somewhere around the corner despite being two hundred and something days into not safe enough, most nice ideas sound great in theory but become uncontrollable in their negative consequences when put into something practice. Either way if someone planned on bringing in a full class this season and they attrition five how do they deal with the   net positives without cutting scholarships or not actually bringing in the current class? Something has to give somewhere.

No I don’t. I don’t think we have a season at all. My comments were purely economic based on the presumption a season did take place. 

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

No I don’t. I don’t think we have a season at all. My comments were purely economic based on the presumption a season did take place. 

But if it doesn’t at what point does continuing to mount up scholarship athletes become a problem? My guess is if spring sports don’t get played that problem presents itself right about then.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

The NCAA is going to guarantee a extra year of eligibility and make Devos pay for it!

if there is no fan involvement in any of these sports then programs will be shuttering. There is no way to keep things running if money isn’t pouring in. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

Good, get back to players playing both offense and defense. 100+ players to have different place kickers, short field goal kickers, long field goal kickers, 3rd down only rushers, 4th stringers, etc is getting a bit much anyways

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

The NCAA is going to guarantee a extra year of eligibility and make Devos pay for it!

if there is no fan involvement in any of these sports then programs will be shuttering. There is no way to keep things running if money isn’t pouring in. 

Devo's paying for it?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, BayIslandBull said:

Good, get back to players playing both offense and defense. 100+ players to have different place kickers, short field goal kickers, long field goal kickers, 3rd down only rushers, 4th stringers, etc is getting a bit much anyways

This is what the P5 wants...back to the ol Bear Bryant days where Alabama had 500 scholarships...