• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Guidelines

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,342
  • Content Count:  97,413
  • Days Won:  472

This is puzzling and likely why so many have canceled out:

Per the NCAA guidelines published a few days ago (I'm behind):

• All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.
  • Member schools may not require student-athletes to waive their legal rights regarding COVID-19 as a condition of athletics participation. 

You basically are volunteering to play because you can simply opt out and keep your schollie...

If you can opt-in, you can ALSO sue if you'd like (while also receiving your schollie).   Not like they're not already wanting to sue.

This will certainly cause schools to leave.  How can a school take on that amount of liability?  Most can't.  That's just dumb on behalf of the NCAA.  No risk or accountability at all to the potential litigant player benefiting from the schollie along with other benefits.

Of course, and it is very believable that administrators would think like this tweet below.  Who could accept unlimited liability for a virus we don't know everything about and may never?  But then why would we continue to pay scholarships in closed down programs?

Add this:

Member schools, in conjunction with existing insurance standards, must cover COVID-19 related medical expenses for student-athletes to prevent out-of-pocket expenses for college athletes and their families.

I would expect schools would do so - those that can afford- but I wouldn't expect any of them to be subject to a lawsuit by doing so.

Here's the Full Announcement at NCAA site.

Deadline to bail out is August 21.

The coach from Montana State is right.  It's a failure of leadership that now has us in this predicament.  Emmert drove the final stake into CFB unless someone with some intelligence and courage steps up.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,051
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

This is puzzling and likely why so many have canceled out:

Per the NCAA guidelines published a few days ago (I'm behind):

You basically are volunteering to play because you can simply opt out and keep your schollie...

If you can opt-in, you can ALSO sue if you'd like (while also receiving your schollie).   Not like they're not already wanting to sue.

This will certainly cause schools to leave.  How can a school take on that amount of liability?  Most can't.  That's just dumb on behalf of the NCAA.

Of course, and it is very believable that administrators would think like this tweet below.  Who could accept unlimited liability for a virus we don't know everything about and may never?  But then why would we continue to pay scholarships in closed down programs?

Add this:

I would expect schools would do so - those that can afford- but I wouldn't expect any of them to be subject to a lawsuit by doing so.

Here's the Full Announcement at NCAA site.

Deadline to bail out is August 21.

The coach from Montana State is right.  It's a failure of leadership that now has us in this predicament.  Emmert drove the final stake into CFB unless someone with some intelligence and courage steps up.

What in the hell was he thinking?? This truly is unbelievable, without a waiver than just shut this **** show down.  I cannot understand the rationale?  If you are scared of getting sick then don’t play which is an option.  However decide to play and get sick and then be able to sue is unsustainable.

• Upvote 1