• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Going into OT. Bulls playing down a man since half way thru 2nd half.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Yay?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I didn't want to offend the (sensitive) soccer crowd, but I couldn't imagine playing that long just to "kiss your sister" as my old school coach would say.  You play to win, and sometimes you lose.  But tie, no.

Anyway, I guess running around 90 minutes or so with Michigan and ending in a tie has got to be a good thing, right? Unless of course "we played a bunch of cowards". 

No. 19/17 Men’s Soccer Draws Michigan

August 26, 2016
By  USF

TAMPA, AUG. 26, 2016 – After 110 minutes of physical action, the University of South Florida men’s soccer team drew its opening night match against the Michigan Wolverines on Friday at Corbett Stadium.

Playing a man down for the last 51 minutes after Nazeem Bartman (Cape Town, South Africa) was shown a red card, the Bulls defense rallied to keep the Wolverines at bay. USF held Michigan scoreless despite five shots in the final three periods, two on goal after Bartman’s departure. Veteran center backs Prosper Figbe (Ilorin, Nigeria) and Michael Bajza (St. Petersburg, Fla.) held the Bulls together, for their first shutout of the season. In his debut for USF, Christian Knight (Odessa, Fla.) tallied three saves.  

Gonzalo Rodriguez (Coustitucio, Chile) and Bartman led the Bulls with two shots each, while freshman Luis Garza (El Paso, Texas) added one.

Quotables:

“I was proud of the way our guys battled,” said head coach George Kiefer. “I thought they did a really good job of managing their discipline and I’m really pleased with the group right now.”

Key Stat:

USF held a 5-3 corner kick advantage, and had a 3-0 edge in the first 45 minutes of action.

Notables:

Three Bulls played all 110 minutes despite the heat. Knight collected all 110 minutes in the net, joined by Liam McNally (Swansea, Wales) and Melvin Becket (Melbourne, Australia) on the field.

Up Next:

USF returns to Corbett Stadium Monday night at 7 p.m. and hosts American University in nonconference action. The Bulls will meet the Eagles for the fourth time in program history. The last time American made the trip to Tampa, USF ran away with a 6-1 victory in 2007.

More

... and Michael Bajza (St. Petersburg, Fla.) held the Bulls together, for their first shutout of the season. In his debut for USF, Christian Knight (Odessa, Fla.) tallied three saves.  

I love how we idenitfy the local boys..  :roflmao:

The international recruiting, a topic for another thread....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

BORING

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

I'm not a big soccer fan but my wife enjoys it and we brought another couple with us.  The guy follows international soccer and recently went up to Charlotte to see a couple of the Euro teams play.  He was quite impressed with the quality of the play. After 110 minutes and no scoring I remembered why I don't enjoy the game. That said, USF did well to hold them scoreless.  The guys on both teams were beat by the 2nd OT.  Quite a few were cramping up and you could tell they were just happy to get it over with.  Don't know if there would have been enough healthy bodies for a shoot out after the 2nd OT.

The guy that got ejected got the initial yellow card after talking to the ref.  Then the second one was for allegedly taking a dive. From where we sat it looked like he got hit and we talked to CGK after the game and he believed he had been hit as well. So much for home pitch advantage.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, Brad said:

... and Michael Bajza (St. Petersburg, Fla.) held the Bulls together, for their first shutout of the season. In his debut for USF, Christian Knight (Odessa, Fla.) tallied three saves.  

I love how we idenitfy the local boys..  :roflmao:

The international recruiting, a topic for another thread....

Wait, is our goalie Joey's son?  :noseMax: