• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football: Put Up or Shut Up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

39 minutes ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Just a “few” words now that fall practices are right around the corner. Saw a lot of encouraging things during spring practice, but there are a couple of things that I’m not completely sold on either. Anyway, there’s no denying that this offseason feels a lot different than the last few and I think expectations will only continue to grow in the remaining 50 or so days until we kickoff against Towson. With that, I leave you with my three big points for the upcoming season.

We need to take 2016 one game at a time or we are going to blow it   . We went 3-4 in conference, and lost 5 out of our last 8 that year. Believe it or not, FSU is kind of on the back burner in my mind (don’t get me wrong, I have fantasized about storming the field a time or two and think that we will need to get after it in that game) but I don’t think it defines our season if we win or lose. Refer to 2009 to see if winning that game really mattered in the grand schemeThese games will define our season.Outside of Towson, we really can’t sleep on anybody this year – I see NIU and Syracuse as trap games, Cincy and Temple as tough road games that we probably split, games against UConn and Navy that look trickier than originally perceived…and an away game against Memphis down the stretch (luckily that will come after a much needed bye week).   All the publicity is great, but you don’t play the games on paper. Sure, the number of players on preseason award lists and all-conferences teams is a testament to the staff’s recruiting and the talent on the roster, but it really wont matter if we don’t win the games we’re supposed to win. A deceptively tough schedule, a relatively new coaching staff, and a mountain of expectations has all the makings of a letdown, but if USF, as a program, wants to get to an elite level it has to live up to the hype.  .st– The USF hype train is in full gear and has been since the final whistle blew in Miami on December 21

I wouldn't call our coaching staff relatively new going into the 4th season.  We had a couple of changes DC (promoted from within) and OL.  I get what you're saying, but this doesn't feel at all like a letdown season.  These guys seem to know better, this team is as tight as any team we've ever had and it's more talented overall than any team we've ever had.  This is the season most of us were waiting on... the season most thought this team would be set to make a run.  I don't consider last season a run, they were just learning the system.  

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

9 hours ago, Calibull said:

I wouldn't call our coaching staff relatively new going into the 4th season.  We had a couple of changes DC (promoted from within) and OL.  I get what you're saying, but this doesn't feel at all like a letdown season.  These guys seem to know better, this team is as tight as any team we've ever had and it's more talented overall than any team we've ever had.  This is the season most of us were waiting on... the season most thought this team would be set to make a run.  I don't consider last season a run, they were just learning the system.  

Agree. Add in the fact that this is the first season since maybe 2011 that we come back running the same schemes and the extra practices we got from the bowl game.

There will be something new every year, that's one of the beauties of college football.

• Upvote 3

• Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Agree. Add in the fact that this is the first season since maybe 2011 that we come back running the same schemes and the extra practices we got from the bowl game.

There will be something new every year, that's one of the beauties of college football.

And the massive improvement in S&C in the offseason and it shows they are putting in the work. Obviously we need to taper our enthusiasm a bit, we're USF fans, but CWT has the program motor running at a very high level. Woodie has been touted as a really good up and coming coach in conjuncture with his already stellar recruiting. Don't forget, we also have former Tennessee DC, John Jancek, that I'm sure is assisting in the transition. Let's ball and leave no doubt!

• Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Exactly! There are a lot of indicators that this team is going to be really good.  The fact that all they are talking about is the start of the season on social media.  Like a pack of wolves waiting to be let loose.  I think this team feels like they have something to prove.  I get the feeling they look at last season as a bunch of missed opportunities.  This team has a great attitude and a lot of skill and experience.  They all are in sync with a common goal of winning a conference championship.  Not beating FSU... but winning a championship.  That's the mindset you have to have.    

16 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

And the massive improvement in S&C in the offseason and it shows they are putting in the work. Obviously we need to taper our enthusiasm a bit, we're USF fans, but CWT has the program motor running at a very high level. Woodie has been touted as a really good up and coming coach in conjuncture with his already stellar recruiting. Don't forget, we also have former Tennessee DC, John Jancek, that I'm sure is assisting in the transition. Let's ball and leave no doubt!

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!  This is what make good players better and great players elite.  It transforms a team physically and mentally. I haven't forgotten about coach Jancek.  He's the reason I think the secondary will be great.  He knows the 4-2-5 also.  I think he will be an asset to Coach Woodie as his first year as a DC.

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

No reason for this team not to have a great run this year.  Like someone said one game at a time.  I for one would like these guys to come out and play with an attitude......like the old Hurricanes....we are the best on the field and we will show you and then rub your face in it.  Conference title....Yup......beat FSU....like a drum....win on the road....own them.....The Bulls fear no one !  

My prediction:  Lots of great games......drink a lot of beer....eat some brats....enjoy another year of USF football.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

15 hours ago, Calibull said:

I don't consider last season a run, they were just learning the system.  

It didn't start out as a run, but it looked like it towards the end because the light finally came on; who we are as a team finally clicked.  That bodes well for the Bulls in 2016.  

Totally agree that this is the year Bulls fans have pegged as being the year to make the run.  

This is when the Bulls run.

6358054911079332061178802380_tumblr_m09k

• Upvote 3