• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big Ten gets nearly 300% increase in new TV deal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

So much for the end of the Big TV money...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/06/20/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten.aspx

"The six-year, $2.64 billion media rights haul represents a big win for the Big Ten Conference, of course, which will see its average media rights payout nearly triple when it takes effect next fall.

More significantly, the deal is a good sign for the broader sports business, showing that ESPN will remain an active player in the live rights business, especially when it comes to premium rights."

"...Fox Sports will carry the Big Ten football championship game every season, which is a strong draw each December. Fox also will have game selection advantages over ESPN, which almost certainly means that the coveted Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will move to Fox most years."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Can someone explain to me how this is a 300% increase? Perhaps my math mojo is failing but, I don't see this any where near a 300% increase.

20 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Can someone explain to me how this is a 300% increase? Perhaps my math mojo is failing but, I don't see this any where near a 300% increase.

They go from $150 million this year to $440 million next year... it's a 293.333333333...% increase.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

So the 150 million covered all 14 teams? I honestly missed that. If I recall their previous contract was 150 million per year prior to the additions of schools #13 and #14. I honestly didn't care enough about the B1G to delve much deeper. Thanks for the heads up. :GoBulls:

16 hours ago, Azmodi said:

So the 150 million covered all 14 teams? I honestly missed that. If I recall their previous contract was 150 million per year prior to the additions of schools #13 and #14. I honestly didn't care enough about the B1G to delve much deeper. Thanks for the heads up. :GoBulls:

Yes... the $150 million per year covered all of the teams... and these numbers don't count the BTN money because that changes year to year with no minimum - unlike the SEC network which is really just a special ESPN channel - the B1G actually owns 49% of the BTN and therefore gets 49% of the profits from advertising and carriage fees.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I thought our TV deal was like a test run and that's why it was so low...anybody think the American will get a big increase in TV revenue?

18 minutes ago, bullcocky101 said:

I thought our TV deal was like a test run and that's why it was so low...anybody think the American will get a big increase in TV revenue?

I think it will increase... "big" is a relative term.

But yes, I believe Aresco signed a short-term contract to prove our worth... and I would definitely expect Fox or NBC to up the ante a bit.

It won't be P5 level... but it might get us back to where we were in the Big East.  (#justahunch #maybewishfulthinking)

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, JimUSFSig said:

But yes, I believe Aresco signed a short-term contract to prove our worth... and I would definitely expect Fox or NBC to up the ante a bit.

It won't be P5 level... but it might get us back to where we were in the Big East.  (#justahunch #maybewishfulthinking)

I think we need a couple more years of good competition and a few nut-punch upsets to the P5. Then, who knows, we could either get BE levels or the whole establishment crumbles. :lol:

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

6 hours ago, JimUSFSig said:

I sure hope so, Jim. I can't help but think absent a jump to the P5, we're going to keep being left further and further behind.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We are still getting BE $ due to the buyouts. But this does end soon.