Did We Have a Scrimmage Today?

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

thanks BullWinkle. obviously you cant put too much stock in a preseason scrimmage because if the offense ran all over the place we would be worried about our D. I'm just glad to hear that people are hitting hard and trying to compete. It will be interesting year to watch USF and i would venture that this is probably the most important season in USF's history.

Big East on verge of going under and USF coming off of a 5-7 year. If we really want to be able to grab a Life Vest if the Big Easy sinks, we need a strong 10-2, 9-3 season with a BCS Berth while we still can.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Results for #USFFBCamp12

Tweets Top / All

23m Pedo_normal.jpgAlex Day â€@USFbulls0107

Nice little crowd for the @USFFootball scrimmage in #vero today. #USFfbCamp12 #BigEastChamps http://pic.twitter.com/2Cwv7foB

A0NlqmrCMAAo70x.jpg

I'm glad at least someone saw my tweet! Haha

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I just wanted to give a shout out to our hosts in Vero and to the Bulls organization in general for making today one of the nicest most accommodating and fun experiences in sports memory for me.I have been to WS games, I've been to Olympic Events and huge CFB games, but today was as much or more about sport as any I have ever been to.

I arrive in Vero and proceed to the former "Dodgertown' and start to search for the Bull facilities within the complex. A helpful worker in a golf cart directs me into the Bulls area of the complex. I park, get out and proceed into the "Front Desk" area for the Bulls complex . A very gracious lady provides me with Schedules, Maps and tells me humorous anecdotes about how the Vending machines have been emptied to keep the athletes from loading up on junk, outside of their training foods. She confesses that some have been smuggling in goodies anyway. I proceed to park near the USF main practice field and ask a couple of Bulls clad young women what is up with the scrimmage.They say it has been moved from 5pm to 4pm because of impending weather. I walk to the field and find out that the coaches have ordered the players back to a weight room because of lightning in the area(assured it is a very brief delay). Walking back to my car I meet Jamie Hovan(Chris' wife)and other of his relatives who are there to watch, really nice people and i express my appreciation for all that Chris does with the team. A personal aside, I follow Chris on Twitter(the devils instrument, according to some) and he always provides classic motivational material. I return to the field and meet a Bulls fan who has been longing for this moment even longer than I have. He comes to 1-2 practices a day and knew every player and numerous details about their individual progress. Far more information than most Bulls fans will know in a lifetime.

As the scrimmage gets rolling Jamie Hovan delivers sodas and water to me, compliments of Chris. I wind Up sitting behind Corian and James Hamilton's parents and relatives. Across the aisle from Kenneth Durden's family and next to the local Vero beach Press which was very well informed about Bulls players. Local HS football team files in. Kids, dogs, families, wives, girlfriends and mothers. What a beautiful bleacher full of Bulls fans. After the scrimmage, got a chance to walk around with the players a bit and have never felt so respected and treated so politely as I was in that mix. What an amazing job both their parents and our coaches have done with these young men.

On balance one of the most amazing sports experiences of my life. It was magical on so many levels. I can't capture it all even in my verbose prose.All the way down to the cool evening breeze, the fiery red sunset and the warm well wishes of other fans as i leave. Off the chart. Anybody that has been holding back from going to Vero. Drop what you're doing, get on the road and have a little fun. You won't regret it.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Results for #USFFBCamp12

Tweets Top / All

23m Pedo_normal.jpgAlex Day â€@USFbulls0107

Nice little crowd for the @USFFootball scrimmage in #vero today. #USFfbCamp12 #BigEastChamps http://pic.twitter.com/2Cwv7foB

A0NlqmrCMAAo70x.jpg

I'm glad at least someone saw my tweet! Haha

You've got stalkers. By the way, how's the weather up there?

• Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

I took a lot of photos at the scrimmage yesterday and have posted them online for viewing at: http://jprimages.com...usfbulls/081312

Here is Bobby Eveld passing off the ball

p535445551-5.jpg

• Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

Nice pics

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I thought there wasn't dirt so close to the field any more?

• Content Count:  3,714

I just wanted to give a shout out to our hosts in Vero and to the Bulls organization in general for making today one of the nicest most accommodating and fun experiences in sports memory for me.I have been to WS games, I've been to Olympic Events and huge CFB games, but today was as much or more about sport as any I have ever been to.

I arrive in Vero and proceed to the former "Dodgertown' and start to search for the Bull facilities within the complex. A helpful worker in a golf cart directs me into the Bulls area of the complex. I park, get out and proceed into the "Front Desk" area for the Bulls complex . A very gracious lady provides me with Schedules, Maps and tells me humorous anecdotes about how the Vending machines have been emptied to keep the athletes from loading up on junk, outside of their training foods. She confesses that some have been smuggling in goodies anyway. I proceed to park near the USF main practice field and ask a couple of Bulls clad young women what is up with the scrimmage.They say it has been moved from 5pm to 4pm because of impending weather. I walk to the field and find out that the coaches have ordered the players back to a weight room because of lightning in the area(assured it is a very brief delay). Walking back to my car I meet Jamie Hovan(Chris' wife)and other of his relatives who are there to watch, really nice people and i express my appreciation for all that Chris does with the team. A personal aside, I follow Chris on Twitter(the devils instrument, according to some) and he always provides classic motivational material. I return to the field and meet a Bulls fan who has been longing for this moment even longer than I have. He comes to 1-2 practices a day and knew every player and numerous details about their individual progress. Far more information than most Bulls fans will know in a lifetime.

As the scrimmage gets rolling Jamie Hovan delivers sodas and water to me, compliments of Chris. I wind Up sitting behind Corian and James Hamilton's parents and relatives. Across the aisle from Kenneth Durden's family and next to the local Vero beach Press which was very well informed about Bulls players. Local HS football team files in. Kids, dogs, families, wives, girlfriends and mothers. What a beautiful bleacher full of Bulls fans. After the scrimmage, got a chance to walk around with the players a bit and have never felt so respected and treated so politely as I was in that mix. What an amazing job both their parents and our coaches have done with these young men.

On balance one of the most amazing sports experiences of my life. It was magical on so many levels. I can't capture it all even in my verbose prose.All the way down to the cool evening breeze, the fiery red sunset and the warm well wishes of other fans as i leave. Off the chart. Anybody that has been holding back from going to Vero. Drop what you're doing, get on the road and have a little fun. You won't regret it.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

• Content Count:  1,913

USF played the scrimmage on one of the outfields so as not to wear out the main field where they've had most of their practices ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

Camp Central: Coaches Getting Their Popcorn Ready

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

VERO BEACH - USF's first scrimmage of fall camp is in the books and a large group of Bulls are making the coaches' decisions on playing time a tough one.

The offense faced off against the defense for about two hours Monday night and fans that packed the stands shouted plenty of oohs and aahs because of the way the Bulls went all out, especially the players that are competing for spots on the initial depth chart.

"I think when you have some talent or some competition, which we're starting to get, the difference between starting or being a backup is a fine line," head coach Skip Holtz said. "Maybe a guy had 40 plays out here and the difference is may be one play."

Two of the names that really stuck out to Holtz after his initial assessment were running backs Marcus Shaw and Willie Davis, who both broke of numerous runs of 10 yards or more.

"We came into this saying we've got really four of five running backs that are in this competition right now," Holtz said. "I think Marcus Shaw has had a very productive camp. I think Willie Davis is showing some things. I also think Bradley Battles have done a really nice job."

Holtz noted that Battles didn't get much of a chance to show what he can do after going down with an ankle injury early on and USF's third-year coach also likes the potential that Michael Pierre possesses. Pierre, a junior, arrived at USF at the start of summer classes after rushing for 1,160 yards in two seasons at Golden West College in California.

"So far in camp I've been really impressed with what Michael Pierre can do from a talent standpoint. I think he's a little bit behind not having spring practice and just being in the offense for seven or eight days, but I think he's got some talent."

Davis made sure to point out that it wasn't easy gaining yards against the defense - not matter what group was on the field - and he's expecting great things from the unit when the snaps start to count in the regular season.

"Coming from last year redshirting and seeing how tight our group was last year, this year it's even tighter. They have everything down pat," Davis said. "I feel like they're really preparing themselves for a really successful season."

Cornerback George Baker's name came up quite a bit after the senior looked aggressive battling with the receivers. He also showed good awareness around the ball, which was trend for the secondary that made numerous interceptions. Baker is a part of a group that's in a tough competition for the starting cornerback spot opposite of senior Kayvon Webster.

"I think I did pretty well, but I also think there is definitely a lot of room for improvement," Baker said. "I just have to go into the film room tonight and tomorrow morning and get better."

Baker and a group of other players weren't the only ones eager to watch how things went down at Vero Beach Sports Village. It's safe to say that Monday night's film sessions will go well into Tuesday morning for the coaching staff.

"We will grade it tonight, watch it tonight and then meet with the players tomorrow morning. I'll be ready to put a depth chart out tomorrow afternoon," Holtz said. "Overall I was really proud of the way they competed."

More from the Official Site

Archived