• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF beats out Harvard, Emory and University of Florida for prestigious grant

Dogma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Jun 4, 2014, 2:55pm EDT Updated: Jun 5, 2014, 2:22pm EDT
USF beats out Harvard, Emory and University of Florida for prestigious grant

Marin Guta

Editorial Intern- Tampa Bay Business Journal

When Dr. Carol Bryant, director of University of South Florida’s College of Public Health Prevention Research Center, saw the center’s scoring in the competition for a $750,000 federal fund, she let out a sigh of relief.

Based on the scoring, the college’s center had a good chance of being one of the lucky 26 prevention research centers to receive the highly competitive fund from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The center was selected and will receive $750,000 for the first year of a five-year funding period, which will total $4.35 million over five years . The fund goes to help research centers work within the community to translate research findings into effective public health practices.

---

More:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2014/06/04/usf-beats-out-harvard-emory-and-university-of.html?ana=twt

Mixed emotions here.

Congrats to USF for receiving a new grant.

We really do need to be reducing our federal spending. ASAP.

If there is any spending, I want it to be for USF (versus any competition).

Spending on responsible research is a good thing. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

It does not take 19.5 million dollars to...

"study how people and their communities can avoid or counter the risks for chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, obesity, and cancer."

It's 2014.... Diet and exercise, eat less, drink green tea, eat broccoli, don't eat bread, don't drink soda, if it comes in a cardboard box don't eat it, use sun screen, work up a sweat at least 3x a week. There, I'll save the funders some money, I'll accept 15 million.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It does not take 19.5 million dollars to...

"study how people and their communities can avoid or counter the risks for chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, obesity, and cancer."

It's 2014.... Diet and exercise, eat less, drink green tea, eat broccoli, don't eat bread, don't drink soda, if it comes in a cardboard box don't eat it, use sun screen, work up a sweat at least 3x a week. There, I'll save the funders some money, I'll accept 15 million.

QFT