• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls have gone 5-0 to start last three seasons...

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,378
  • Days Won:  471

and that caused a lot of heartache for a lot of fans because they confused beating cupcakes and an annual upset special (that part is gratifying) as a mandate for a perfect season and BCS Bowl.  Unfortunately this thing developed that the pundits called a 'mid season swoon' - that was really nothing more than getting past the cupcakes (non-cons) and into the Big East schedule and consecutive weeks of games that mattered.

With that said, and University of Florida the second game of the season, we have a chance to get that great upset (a la Auburn (2007), Kansas (2008) and Florida State (2009)) as well as start 5-0 again.

Outside of the Gators game, we have Stony Brook, FAU, Western Kentucky and Syracuse.  Following Syracuse, the conference's doormat for so many years, the Bulls play at West Virginia, at Cincinnati and host Rutgers back to back to back.  Then at Louisville (never won there) then hosting Pitt.

With the perspective of history, there is a chance we could find ourselves in the same old place.  While I doubt we beat the Gators, there is a chance.  As alluded to above, we've beaten good teams early in the season.

At 5-0 or 4-1 the real test still comes when we have to play Big East teams.  We are predicted to finish mid to lower end of conference.  Not that predictions matter, but I guess that "mid-season swoon" is likely expected again this year regardless of the outcomes of those first five games.

I remember the frustration bred from those 5-0 and 6-0 starts and then the heartbreak of losing against the top half of the conference as that part of the schedule rolled around.

Are we prepared as a fan base for that cycle to continue or should we have reason to believe it won't?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

If we went 5-0 and then went downhill to finish 7-5.  I think I'd  be pretty happy with a win at Florida and a bowl berth to start of the Holtz era.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The way some people are talking on here, as long as the first kick off we make actually comes down out of the air against Stonybrook some of the fans are going to say "see,  We are a much better team with Holtz."

We should get off to that 4-1 start, but I think that sets a lot of people up for disappointment.  I am just looking forward to seeing a lot of these young guys get some solid game experience and see how the offense develops.  I am hoping for a bowl game, but i think that would be a great accomplishment this year.  Not because we don't have good players.  I believe that to be true just because we are so young and/or inexperienced in so many areas.  

If things really come together maybe 7-5 year.  Once these guys get the playing time under their belt this is probably the best team of athletes and football talent we have ever had.  i am looking for big things in 2011 and beyond.  Just not this year.

• Content Count:  12,546
  • Days Won:  25

squib-kick and all is well...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,157
  • Days Won:  429

If we went 5-0 and then went downhill to finish 7-5.  I think I'd  be pretty happy with a win at Florida and a bowl berth to start of the Holtz era.

A win at Florida, no matter what happends the rest of the season, makes the season to any but those wearing huge green and gold glasses ... although, if we beat UF in the Swamp, there's no way we win only two more games, bar a devastating injury ... Skip would be able to feast off that win on the recruiting trail for years.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

A win at Florida, no matter what happends the rest of the season, makes the season to any but those wearing huge green and gold glasses ... although, if we beat UF in the Swamp, there's no way we win only two more games, bar a devastating injury ... Skip would be able to feast off that win on the recruiting trail for years.

People said that about beating fsu too.

Also the Defense that played against fsu never showed up again all season so the upset is no guarantee.

• Content Count:  3,655
  • Days Won:  4

Well FSU wasn't the team many thought they were at the beginning of the season. The same is probably somewhat true about Florida. We don't really know what this Florida team is other than we know they are loaded with top recruits. Tebow gone, Charlie Strong gone, Urban changing his mind if he is going to coach fulltime....they have a lot of questions.

But we (USF) also have a lot of questions.

I am hoping or expecting a 7-5 season, 4-3 in Big East play....I originally thought we would go 6-6 under Leavitt so I think Holtz get's us at least one more win.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,157
  • Days Won:  429

I don't think it's even close ... FSU has struggled against inferior teams at home, even a 1-AA, in recent years and has routinely lost a couple of games a year at the Doak in recent memory. UF has lost 2 home games in the last 5 years. A win there would be a lot huger than the FSU win.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Well FSU wasn't the team many thought they were at the beginning of the season. The same is probably somewhat true about Florida. We don't really know what this Florida team is other than we know they are loaded with top recruits. Tebow gone, Charlie Strong gone, Urban changing his mind if he is going to coach fulltime....they have a lot of questions.

But we (USF) also have a lot of questions.

I am hoping or expecting a 7-5 season, 4-3 in Big East play....I originally thought we would go 6-6 under Leavitt so I think Holtz get's us at least one more win.

My thoughts exactly. 3-2 OOC with a 4-3 BE record and I will consider his first year a success.

The record is not as important to me as the way the games are played.

UConn was 7-5 last year with the 5 losses by a total of 15 points.

USF was 7-5 last year with the 5 losses by a total of 98 points.

• Content Count:  21,468
  • Days Won:  10

Also the Defense that played against fsu never showed up again all season so the upset is no guarantee.

Not really, that defense at FSU was not the same one that played Miami at home.  We got schooled.

Archived