• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Only in Kenya...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

A few blurbs on my Bulls experience in the developing world...

With about 28 hours to kick-off, I've been having trouble controlling some of my excitement here in rural Kenya...explaining "American" football here, nonetheless "college" football, has been an exhausting task all week long.  It's one of the few causes that I haven't been able to "help" here just yet :)

I have to go into Nairobi tomorrow to watch the game, a 30-minute flight or 10 hour bus ride (thanks to the "war-zone" like condition of the roads)...I chose the flight. 

I'll be watching it on the Armed Forces Network (the gov't infommercials are hilariously AWFUL) at the U.S. Embassy compound here, which requires advance notice for the security clearance.  Some might say a bit sick...

Peace Corps Kenya ALMOST banned all volunteers from Nairobi this weekend, leading me to nearly crap out my heart, due to the political opposition's rally in downtown Nairobi on Saturday.  Riots were expected.  The opposition then cancelled the party this afternoon, re-allowing me to enter Nairobi this weekend.  THANK YOU RAILA ODINGA!  Look him up.  The rally has been rescheduled for Oct. 6th

Kick-off is 3am local time.  It's a good thing Kenyan coffee can power small trucks...but I don't think I'll need any.

I passed a "Them Bulls" cafe on the road today

One of the local mamas, who has most understood my most likely confusing explanations of college "football" here, made sure my only Bulls polo was clean today in time for my trip to Nairobi tomorrow for the game.  Absolutely darling!

Dad will be in our seats for the game, but I'll be there in spirit and sight for what will be our BIGGEST game ever...but only another chapter in a great story and experience!  We're all part of something special and I'm glad to be expanding Bulls Country into rural Kenya...however that might manifest itself :)

GO BULLS, BEAT WVU!

Bulls zangu inaenda BCS sasa!

BRyan

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know how you do it Bryan.  I would go insane over there.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Bryan, I saw you tried to register for MattGrothe.com the other day... are you still interested in registering?  If so, I'll set you up an account and e-mail you the credentials.

GO BULLS!

Matt

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

As I was reading that, I couldn't help but think of the scene in "Airplane" where Striker was in the Peace Corps teaching the people how to play basketball.  :)

• Content Count:  4,879

What are you doing over there?

• Content Count:  866

I've had everyone and their mother call me this week to try and get a ticket to this game, but if my former roommate and friend Bryan called, he'd actually jump to the front of the list.

No chance you can hop a plane and be in Tampa by 8pm tomorrow buddy?  :)

And yes, I'm still saving my frequent flyer miles sir.

Collin

FYI he's in the Peace Corps, and has been for about a year.  And when he's not trying to get me to buy shares of African soccer teams, he's posting pics on his blog.  With his permission I'll post the link here.

Archived