• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Glen Bethel not on campus

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He have great threads.

So do we. And all you guys yawning at my pic...you need more excitement in your job! :GoBulls:

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Still not on campus. Odom tweeted he still had "some academic stuff" he needed to take care of. Not good.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

its still in the first week of camp. Its been known he was going to miss the beginning of fall camp. The first week is still well in the beginning, so nothing new. I know he'll be fine. Summer classes sometimes are so ridiculously slow, I wrapped up a summer close to a month ago and still have not gotten my grades officially to oasis or uploaded to my transcript. No need to worry yet. 

• Downvote 1

its still in the first week of camp. Its been known he was going to miss the beginning of fall camp. The first week is still well in the beginning, so nothing new. I know he'll be fine. Summer classes sometimes are so ridiculously slow, I wrapped up a summer close to a month ago and still have not gotten my grades officially to oasis or uploaded to my transcript. No need to worry yet. 

One or two people have said that but it was not known - publicly, at least - until just before camp from everything I have seen. And then the message was just a couple more days to get transcripts in. If he is still not admitted then this is FAR later than normal even for a transfer. Looking like an Eric Mayes situation to me but we will see. We need him.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

One or two people have said that but it was not known - publicly, at least - until just before camp from everything I have seen. And then the message was just a couple more days to get transcripts in. If he is still not admitted then this is FAR later than normal even for a transfer. Looking like an Eric Mayes situation to me but we will see. We need him.

IDK... from everything I hear they aren't worried about if he'll get in... it's just a timing thing with the class, getting the grade posted, and getting the official transcripts to USF.  I think this is normally done early in the summer but he needed a class... so this wait is normally not an issue but because it is so late, the processing time isn't running longer, it is just happening later in the summer.  Eric Mayes was completely different, he was literally missing high school credits required to be eligible by the NCAA... it was not the school that said he was ineligible, it was the NCAA clearing house.  Bethel is fine there.  So he and Mayes are apples and oranges... not at all the same situation.

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

IDK... from everything I hear they aren't worried about if he'll get in... it's just a timing thing with the class, getting the grade posted, and getting the official transcripts to USF.  I think this is normally done early in the summer but he needed a class... so this wait is normally not an issue but because it is so late, the processing time isn't running longer, it is just happening later in the summer.  Eric Mayes was completely different, he was literally missing high school credits required to be eligible by the NCAA... it was not the school that said he was ineligible, it was the NCAA clearing house.  Bethel is fine there.  So he and Mayes are apples and oranges... not at all the same situation.

Exactly

They thought Mayes would qualify after his time in Juco but he didn't at a pretty late stage. Maybe the similarity is only superficial. Maybe Rohan Blackwood is a better comparison even though he wasn't juco? It was publicly reported that he was cleared and ready to go and then he didn't show up for camp because of some undisclosed academic issue. Never did make it in. Either way, I don't know how anyone can look at a guy who isn't here this far into camp and not be concerned, especially when we desperately need OL help.

They thought Mayes would qualify after his time in Juco but he didn't at a pretty late stage. Maybe the similarity is only superficial. Maybe Rohan Blackwood is a better comparison even though he wasn't juco? It was publicly reported that he was cleared and ready to go and then he didn't show up for camp because of some undisclosed academic issue. Never did make it in. Either way, I don't know how anyone can look at a guy who isn't here this far into camp and not be concerned, especially when we desperately need OL help.

Mayes never went to Juco... he went to a prep school for a semester... enrolled following that and still had to sit a year out because he was missing a class still.  He was admitted into USF and took the class but after the date it was required to for him to be eligible last season.  So then this past spring he was declared eligible for this season.  It was a mess but that was a NCAA clearing house mess... 

Blackwood is now in juco.  He was actually never cleared, he was a gpa casualty and that's why he went to juco.  I don't think we'll see him in a USF uniform.. but could be.  Blackwood was was borderline when we recruited him and they were hopeful he'd make the grade his senior year but he fell short.  Maybe he'll come back to USF... never know but he did want to stay close to home.  So we'll see once he's done there but that wont be until after this season.  But he was GPA casualty out of high school.... so he went to juco.

Our issue isn't the entire Oline... we are fine inside.  We are thin at OT until Bethel and Gibbons are participating.  I fully expect Bethel really soon and Gibbons is getting closer to participating fully.  I suspect we'll see them both really soon... what sucks is the practices will be closed so we won't have a lot to go on.

Edited by Calibull

You're right re: Mayes but my point still stands. It was definitely reported that Blackwood was cleared: "@MBakerTBTimes: Nature Coast alum DE Rohan Blackwood is academically cleared and good to go at #USF."

My point is only that with every passing day that he isn't there it's looking bleaker and bleaker. We've all seen this play out enough times to know that his absence and USF's silence on the issue is not a good omen. Hope he does show eventually.

You're right re: Mayes but my point still stands. It was definitely reported that Blackwood was cleared: "@MBakerTBTimes: Nature Coast alum DE Rohan Blackwood is academically cleared and good to go at #USF."

My point is only that with every passing day that he isn't there it's looking bleaker and bleaker. We've all seen this play out enough times to know that his absence and USF's silence on the issue is not a good omen. Hope he does show eventually.

I have intimate knowledge of the Blackwood situation and he was never actually cleared by the school.  He had a conditional admission but he had some things to do in the summer he did not get done.  That's why he wasn't admitted.  I'll just leave it at that.  Im not sure what that tweet was about... but I was never actually cleared by the school.  

But do get your point and understand your frustration.  I can tell you that Bethel is closer than people think... a lot closer than people think.  I'm really not concerned at all about him getting in... what my concern is him missing an entire week and not being able to participate in drills puts him in a catchup mode.  He's actually not far away at all... who knows... me may actually be in Tampa right now.  

Edited by Calibull