• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any Slack.Com Users Here?

charsibb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Anybody here using Slack.com for your work / project messaging? Thinking about implementing it for a project and want to hear some trusted feedback. Thanks!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just sent that link to our operations manager.  We're constantly looking for ways to improve our work communication and project management.  It looks like an interesting platform, if we ever start to implement it I'll certainly let you know.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just did a quick glance out of curiosity, what makes this any different than what Google does? A place to share files, chat, etc.

Just did a quick glance out of curiosity, what makes this any different than what Google does? A place to share files, chat, etc.

Not exactly sure - maybe security? Maybe threading?

Hopefully someone in here knows...

Probably the interface.  It might be a bit more Apple-style.  Plus, Drive is one of the many integrations you can use with it.  Looks like you can merge it with quite a few social media/productivity app platforms.  I'm not sure Google Drive has that capability. 

Talked it over with our operations manager.  He signed up for the free version, and I will be doing the same.  Not sure if we'll be implementing it since we have so many different departments and there would probably be too much extraneous communication that it would get overwhelming for some people.  I'll let you know once I've messed around with it some.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

We just started using slack here at the office.  It's pretty cool.  Should help us immediately by cutting down on our company e-mail being the main way we notify each other that leads and other general inquiries and submissions are covered.  That in itself is a big help.  

Also played around with a connection to Google Hangout where we can show others on a slack chat our desktops, which will be useful for quick meetings, or consultations with clients.

I think it's pretty neat and I've gotten several thank-yous from management for cluing them in on this, so thank YOU, charsibb!  :D

Always happy to help a fellow Bull put a feather in their cap!

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

... is this just like an instant messenger? I keep hearing it's name. It's a file share like Google drive?

... is this just like an instant messenger? I keep hearing it's name. It's a file share like Google drive?

Sort of ... it's a bit difficult to describe and I haven't fully explored all it can do yet.  Check it out, it's interesting.