• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Leavitt, Holtz, CTW -and the 1st sign of hope

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Most of us can agree that Leavitt wasn't great at X's and O's.

But how did he succeed at building USF football from the ground up? He used an open system and allowed the athletes to play. We ran simple stuff on offense, and on defense we were always aggressive.

And he always pumped the team up before game time. You never saw Leavitt needing a hug (to lift him up) before game time. He was always pumped up, and then players fed off of him. We always had so many penalties because they were so jacked up most of the time.

But the downfall to Leavitt system is that when a game is tight, and when USF had something to lose, the emotions failed us. And then the X's and O's bit us where it hurt.

Why did Holtz fail? 

(1) He never understood how and why Leavitt won. But he did try to keep it together (the same system) while slowly work in his system.

(2) He could never pump up the team. There went 1/2 of the victories he would have had.

(3) Defensively, it was "turrible". Soft. Not aggressive.

(4) He could not recruit any better than Leavitt did.

Yes, say what you want, Holtz was probably better at X's and O's than Leavitt. But he had no idea what he was stepping into when he took over the program. And he probably left the program scratching his head.

Why has CWT done so poorly for 2 years?

(1) He installed a brand-new system with players who had no identity. And even worse, he put in a system that takes years to recruit and put together. Going one step further, I would argue that it's a system for the Big Ten: Wisconsin is the role model for this setup.

(2) He took away the number one asset for being a Florida school: Florida athletes. He slowed everything down and made the players play in slow motion, negating their speed and athleticism. The formations and motions were more important than the players! When you see our players making mistakes that seem so unexplainable, it tells me that they are being made to practice and learn a system that is so foreign to them. They didn't play this way in junior high and high school. The only ones that look natural out there? The running backs. Thank goodness he lets them run.

(3) Team philosophy. The defense seldom gambles. And on offense, it's been like some kind of dance routine with the formations. It sort of reminds me of the British Redcoats back in the day. They'd get into their formations and then get all shot up.

What's good about CWT?

He's able to recruit pretty well. Still, we didn't get a QB that we needed. But I wonder if Matt Grothe had been back there these two years, would we have won? Personally, I think it's a flawed system for USF football. And even Matt couldn't have made it work.

Where's the hope?

He says he's loosening things up and let the players play. Sounds good. And we have a new Defensive Coordinator. Maybe we can be aggressive?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I thought he cut and pasted War and Peace.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  20,940
  • Days Won:  38

The key is he "says" he is loosening things up, but I am not aure anyone believes it until they see it. On the DC, hopefully this means no more bend but don't break and then lose stand around defense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The key is he "says" he is loosening things up, but I am not aure anyone believes it until they see it. On the DC, hopefully this means no more bend but don't break and then lose stand around defense.

Ya, at this point there isn't much faith that he will loosen it up or knows what to do if he loosens it up. The goodwill of being a new hire is long gone and fans are wanting to see him walk the walk. With CWT still calling the plays it gives more doubt to the people who've seen him call the most repetitive plays in the history of the world.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

But how did he succeed at building USF football from the ground up? He used an open system and allowed the athletes to play. We ran simple stuff on offense, and on defense we were always aggressive.

And he always pumped the team up before game time. You never saw Leavitt needing a hug (to lift him up) before game time. He was always pumped up, and then players fed off of him. We always had so many penalties because they were so jacked up most of the time.

But the downfall to Leavitt system is that when a game is tight, and when USF had something to lose, the emotions failed us. And then the X's and O's bit us where it hurt.

Why did Holtz fail? 

(1) He never understood how and why Leavitt won. But he did try to keep it together (the same system) while slowly work in his system.

(2) He could never pump up the team. There went 1/2 of the victories he would have had.

Yes, say what you want, Holtz was probably better at X's and O's than Leavitt. But he had no idea what he was stepping into when he took over the program. And he probably left the program scratching his head.

(1) He installed a brand-new system with players who had no identity. And even worse, he put in a system that takes years to recruit and put together. Going one step further, I would argue that it's a system for the Big Ten: Wisconsin is the role model for this setup.

(2) He took away the number one asset for being a Florida school: Florida athletes. He slowed everything down and made the players play in slow motion, negating their speed and athleticism. The formations and motions were more important than the players! When you see our players making mistakes that seem so unexplainable, it tells me that they are being made to practice and learn a system that is so foreign to them. They didn't play this way in junior high and high school. The only ones that look natural out there? The running backs. Thank goodness he lets them run.

(3) Team philosophy. The defense seldom gambles. And on offense, it's been like some kind of dance routine with the formations. It sort of reminds me of the British Redcoats back in the day. They'd get into their formations and then get all shot up.

What's good about CWT?

He's able to recruit pretty well. Still, we didn't get a QB that we needed. But I wonder if Matt Grothe had been back there these two years, would we have won? Personally, I think it's a flawed system for USF football. And even Matt couldn't have made it work.

Where's the hope?

He says he's loosening things up and let the players play. Sounds good. And we have a new Defensive Coordinator. Maybe we can be aggressive?

Great breakdown.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Disagree to this 50%. Leavitt knew defense and he knew D talent. He proved it at more than one college.

• Content Count:  1,516

Disagree to this 50%. Leavitt knew defense and he knew D talent. He proved it at more than one college.

I don't really know how great Leavitt was at X's and O's. But one thing he was absolutely incredible at was talent evaluation. You don't do what he did in such a short time here without having that. No one wanted George Selvie except who? Leavitt. He was a 1 star Olineman. We were the only D1 school to offer him and Leavitt put him on the defensive side of the ball and became an all american.

Nate Allen - a 2 Star QB out of high school. Offered him and put him on the defensive side of the ball.

Those are the two players off the top of my head and who knows how many more there are. We have a lot of guys that were and still are in the NFL that were recruited by Leavitt. He knew what he was doing when it came to deciding who could play and who couldn't.

Edited by USFbulls24

• Content Count:  1,516

Why did Holtz fail? 

What's good about CWT?

Holtz kept a similar system, but not the same. I remember his first year here one of his top priorities was to get BJ Daniels to stay in the pocket and not run. What a joke that is. Good idea Skip. Let's take away half the game of our best player on offense?? 

Agree that this system cannot work here. CWT is one heck of a recruiter, but everything else has to be questioned to this point. Motivating, X's & O's, game planning, development, roster decision making, etc. 

I have yet to see a sign of hope in the last 2 seasons from Taggart. I'm really hoping to see one this upcoming season, but I am certainly not holding my breath for it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

Why did Holtz fail? 

What's good about CWT?

Holtz kept a similar system, but not the same. I remember his first year here one of his top priorities was to get BJ Daniels to stay in the pocket and not run. What a joke that is. Good idea Skip. Let's take away half the game of our best player on offense?? 

Agree that this system cannot work here. CWT is one heck of a recruiter, but everything else has to be questioned to this point. Motivating, X's & O's, game planning, development, roster decision making, etc. 

I have yet to see a sign of hope in the last 2 seasons from Taggart. I'm really hoping to see one this upcoming season, but I am certainly not holding my breath for it.

There was a reason for that.  He didn't have a backup QB should BJ get hurt scrambling around.