• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT IN USF HISTORY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm embarrassed every time I come on here and see the lack of loyalty and support. I hope you all come back next year and are as supportive as you are negative this year. And for all of you who don't remember because you are too young for any real perspective, Saturday was payback for 09/16/06. That game was close and USF fans filled about an 1/12th of the place. It was so miserably hot that day people were passing out (worse than the UF game IMO) We weren't coming off a BCS bowl, nor vying for a conference championship. Our supporters then were just that supporters not a bunch of bandwagoners, and yet we were so loud that the newspaper wrote about how embarrassing it was that you couldn't hear the UCF fans. We were up and coming then just like UCF is now but we hadn't seen any real success yet sure we had some good years but nothing major, we hadn't even been to a bowl yet, but there we were, screaming our team to victory.

The worst thing that happened to this football team is getting to #2 that year. People started to believe it and, worse, expect it. If you don't think that not showing up to a game isn't worth a loss or two, you are crazy. That day against UCF we, the fans, willed that team to victory. We don't do that now, we expect to get taken to the promised land with no work no effort on our part. Part of the reason Jim Leavitt was successful is because of the positive support he and the team received on a daily basis. Everyone telling them all week long, week after week, that they can win is very powerful. You get surprised when you lose. Its the opposite way now, we tell this team all week long, week after week, that they are going to lose, it surprises them when they win.  This isn't the NFL. These kids aren't professional. 99% of them need positive reinforcement from the community they represent to be able to have any succes

It is dumb when people say that the worst thing to ever happen to the program was getting to number 2.  When the whole idea of sports to be number 1, it ain't so bad being number two.  It showed the team and the program what the possibilities were and are.  People should expect to get that high in the rankings every year and every game should be played that way.  Otherwise all you are doing is playing for the sake of playing.

Being the top should always be the goal.  The administration has to do everything in their power to get there.  we may not have the resources, and we may be down right now, but you don't go out and participate at the highest level without the goal of trying to compete with the best.  

from day one, Leavitt always said that he wanted to compete for championships.  Taggart said the same thing.  Whether he has the ability or we have the resources is a different question, but getting to number two shows that if everything comes together it can be done.  Someone just needs to find a way to do it.  

See now, that there's part of the problem

The whole idea of college sports is to develop sound minds in sound bodies, and give the students a good foundation to build on for the future.

Winning is better than losing, and #1 is better than #128, to be sure, but it is emphatically NOT the whole point of college sports

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

I'm embarrassed every time I come on here and see the lack of loyalty and support. I hope you all come back next year and are as supportive as you are negative this year. And for all of you who don't remember because you are too young for any real perspective, Saturday was payback for 09/16/06. That game was close and USF fans filled about an 1/12th of the place. It was so miserably hot that day people were passing out (worse than the UF game IMO) We weren't coming off a BCS bowl, nor vying for a conference championship. Our supporters then were just that supporters not a bunch of bandwagoners, and yet we were so loud that the newspaper wrote about how embarrassing it was that you couldn't hear the UCF fans. We were up and coming then just like UCF is now but we hadn't seen any real success yet sure we had some good years but nothing major, we hadn't even been to a bowl yet, but there we were, screaming our team to victory.

The worst thing that happened to this football team is getting to #2 that year. People started to believe it and, worse, expect it. If you don't think that not showing up to a game isn't worth a loss or two, you are crazy. That day against UCF we, the fans, willed that team to victory. We don't do that now, we expect to get taken to the promised land with no work no effort on our part. Part of the reason Jim Leavitt was successful is because of the positive support he and the team received on a daily basis. Everyone telling them all week long, week after week, that they can win is very powerful. You get surprised when you lose. Its the opposite way now, we tell this team all week long, week after week, that they are going to lose, it surprises them when they win.  This isn't the NFL. These kids aren't professional. 99% of them need positive reinforcement from the community they represent to be able to have any succes

It is dumb when people say that the worst thing to ever happen to the program was getting to number 2.  When the whole idea of sports to be number 1, it ain't so bad being number two.  It showed the team and the program what the possibilities were and are.  People should expect to get that high in the rankings every year and every game should be played that way.  Otherwise all you are doing is playing for the sake of playing.

Being the top should always be the goal.  The administration has to do everything in their power to get there.  we may not have the resources, and we may be down right now, but you don't go out and participate at the highest level without the goal of trying to compete with the best.  

from day one, Leavitt always said that he wanted to compete for championships.  Taggart said the same thing.  Whether he has the ability or we have the resources is a different question, but getting to number two shows that if everything comes together it can be done.  Someone just needs to find a way to do it.  

I think the #2 ranking was a double edged sword. Great for the exposure of the program but not so great for a fanbase foundation that was still being formed and wasn't allowed to cure ... Coph pretty much nailed it so going to bother to repeat it .... Redundancy is already running rampant on the board.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

I'll say this though. UCF sure didn't impress me much. Our defense was stout all game. Would loved to have seen what we could have done with any semblance of an offense.

yep. their offense is ranked around 100 in the country.

Yet our (UCF's) time of possession (an underrated offensive stat) is #19 and defense is #4. You do realize that our offense just plays a giant game of keep away right? 3 yards here, 4 yards there. How many third downs did we convert and keep the chains moving? It's all about moving the chains and chewing up clock. We have been doing it at will for 4-5 years now. Our offense isn't great, but with JJ Worton and stanback/wilson it is good at doing what it is designed to do: Keeping opposing offenses off the field, playing conservative, keeping the defense off the field and scoring moderate points. This can actually make your defense look better than it is..this shouldn't take a statistician to understand. Quit looking at stats in a vacuum when it doesn't tell the full story. This is you: "unemployment is down...yayyyy!! "Has nothing to do with labor participation rate, reduction of hours per capita (more employed but with less hours)...and on and on.

I think you need a little bit better of a model than yards for yards against. Frankly I would look at PA and PF before that. Defense, offense, special teams...how do they all work together.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I still think McNeese at home last year trumps Army in 2004 and UCF this season as most embarrassing home loss.

I agree. Getting blanked at home by your rival...that's the absolute worst moment in USF athletics.

I don't think that's what PeT said ... I read that he thinks the McNeese game was worse, which I would have to agree with. 

Correctly interpreted, GA.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

tumblr_l5by95MV8i1qa1xnko1_500.gif

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm embarrassed every time I come on here and see the lack of loyalty and support. I hope you all come back next year and are as supportive as you are negative this year. And for all of you who don't remember because you are too young for any real perspective, Saturday was payback for 09/16/06. That game was close and USF fans filled about an 1/12th of the place. It was so miserably hot that day people were passing out (worse than the UF game IMO) We weren't coming off a BCS bowl, nor vying for a conference championship. Our supporters then were just that supporters not a bunch of bandwagoners, and yet we were so loud that the newspaper wrote about how embarrassing it was that you couldn't hear the UCF fans. We were up and coming then just like UCF is now but we hadn't seen any real success yet sure we had some good years but nothing major, we hadn't even been to a bowl yet, but there we were, screaming our team to victory.

The worst thing that happened to this football team is getting to #2 that year. People started to believe it and, worse, expect it. If you don't think that not showing up to a game isn't worth a loss or two, you are crazy. That day against UCF we, the fans, willed that team to victory. We don't do that now, we expect to get taken to the promised land with no work no effort on our part. Part of the reason Jim Leavitt was successful is because of the positive support he and the team received on a daily basis. Everyone telling them all week long, week after week, that they can win is very powerful. You get surprised when you lose. Its the opposite way now, we tell this team all week long, week after week, that they are going to lose, it surprises them when they win. This isn't the NFL. These kids aren't professional. 99% of them need positive reinforcement from the community they represent to be able to have any succes

It is dumb when people say that the worst thing to ever happen to the program was getting to number 2. When the whole idea of sports to be number 1, it ain't so bad being number two. It showed the team and the program what the possibilities were and are. People should expect to get that high in the rankings every year and every game should be played that way. Otherwise all you are doing is playing for the sake of playing.

Being the top should always be the goal. The administration has to do everything in their power to get there. we may not have the resources, and we may be down right now, but you don't go out and participate at the highest level without the goal of trying to compete with the best.

from day one, Leavitt always said that he wanted to compete for championships. Taggart said the same thing. Whether he has the ability or we have the resources is a different question, but getting to number two shows that if everything comes together it can be done. Someone just needs to find a way to do it.

The whole idea of college sports is to develop sound minds in sound bodies, and give the students a good foundation to build on for the future.

Winning is better than losing, and #1 is better than #128, to be sure, but it is emphatically NOT the whole point of college sports

That is the way it should be thought of. That is not reality in today's world. I think that sentiment with the Teddy Roosevelt administration. At least at the FBS level.

This is the root cause of the debate between paying players vs not. A guy like Skip Holtz would not have been fired if it was about developing sound minds in bodies. Same can be said about Robert McCullum. He was brought in to clean up the program at the time. Cleaned house.

I am not saying it is right, but in a vast majority of the cases the coaches are fired because they are not producing winners.

There are always cases, here and there, where coaches are fired for scandalous behavior, but I don't recall too many coaches getting canned for poor student development (classroom performance, graduation rates, etc) while winning on the field.

You can consider it a good thing or not so good, but the reality is college sports, at the highest level where we are, or aim to be, is about making money and about winning.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

tumblr_l5by95MV8i1qa1xnko1_500.gif

Pee Wee makes me laugh......wow. Secret word of the day is...............................................Shamus as in Winston! SSSShhhhhh

Edited by footnfan1

I'm embarrassed every time I come on here and see the lack of loyalty and support. I hope you all come back next year and are as supportive as you are negative this year. And for all of you who don't remember because you are too young for any real perspective, Saturday was payback for 09/16/06. That game was close and USF fans filled about an 1/12th of the place. It was so miserably hot that day people were passing out (worse than the UF game IMO) We weren't coming off a BCS bowl, nor vying for a conference championship. Our supporters then were just that supporters not a bunch of bandwagoners, and yet we were so loud that the newspaper wrote about how embarrassing it was that you couldn't hear the UCF fans. We were up and coming then just like UCF is now but we hadn't seen any real success yet sure we had some good years but nothing major, we hadn't even been to a bowl yet, but there we were, screaming our team to victory.

The worst thing that happened to this football team is getting to #2 that year. People started to believe it and, worse, expect it. If you don't think that not showing up to a game isn't worth a loss or two, you are crazy. That day against UCF we, the fans, willed that team to victory. We don't do that now, we expect to get taken to the promised land with no work no effort on our part. Part of the reason Jim Leavitt was successful is because of the positive support he and the team received on a daily basis. Everyone telling them all week long, week after week, that they can win is very powerful. You get surprised when you lose. Its the opposite way now, we tell this team all week long, week after week, that they are going to lose, it surprises them when they win. This isn't the NFL. These kids aren't professional. 99% of them need positive reinforcement from the community they represent to be able to have any succes

It is dumb when people say that the worst thing to ever happen to the program was getting to number 2. When the whole idea of sports to be number 1, it ain't so bad being number two. It showed the team and the program what the possibilities were and are. People should expect to get that high in the rankings every year and every game should be played that way. Otherwise all you are doing is playing for the sake of playing.

Being the top should always be the goal. The administration has to do everything in their power to get there. we may not have the resources, and we may be down right now, but you don't go out and participate at the highest level without the goal of trying to compete with the best.

from day one, Leavitt always said that he wanted to compete for championships. Taggart said the same thing. Whether he has the ability or we have the resources is a different question, but getting to number two shows that if everything comes together it can be done. Someone just needs to find a way to do it.

That is the way it should be thought of. That is not reality in today's world. I think that sentiment with the Teddy Roosevelt administration. At least at the FBS level.

This is the root cause of the debate between paying players vs not. A guy like Skip Holtz would not have been fired if it was about developing sound minds in bodies. Same can be said about Robert McCullum. He was brought in to clean up the program at the time. Cleaned house.

I am not saying it is right, but in a vast majority of the cases the coaches are fired because they are not producing winners.

There are always cases, here and there, where coaches are fired for scandalous behavior, but I don't recall too many coaches getting canned for poor student development (classroom performance, graduation rates, etc) while winning on the field.

You can consider it a good thing or not so good, but the reality is college sports, at the highest level where we are, or aim to be, is about making money and about winning.

We're not Bama, nor do I believe we really aspire to be. At least I hope we learned something from the Leavitt debacle

If a coach had "good" players (as in good people), and had consistent 7-5 to 9-3 seasons with a bowl every year, a bowl win every other year, and a conference championship every 5 years, then I think that coach could retire from USF.on their own terms

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

We're not Bama, nor do I believe we really aspire to be. At least I hope we learned something from the Leavitt debacle

If a coach had "good" players (as in good people), and had consistent 7-5 to 9-3 seasons with a bowl every year, a bowl win every other year, and a conference championship every 5 years, then I think that coach could retire from USF.on their own terms

As much as it pained me to do it, that edit was needed if you're referencing CJL ...

I wasn't - that was a forward-looking statement