• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who is available to hire as our new head coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

I'm leaing toward Butch.  He rebuilt Miami and North Carolina.  Just have to make sure he does not do something illegal with the NCAA

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

cwt isnt being fired yet

he is entitled to one more year

to the nexthead coach------------

bring in 2 juco qb and 2 freshman qbs

Tell that to Rick Renteria !

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Calvin Magee.

+1

should have hired him last 2 times.

How is his W-L as a head coach? Should USF take a chance on an assistant? Need a home run hire that wins right away. 

schiano didn't win big as a head coach.

in fact he was 3-24 in conference games his first 4 years at rutgers. he went 2-9 then 1-11 then 5-7 then 4-7 his first 4 years there. his offense might actually be more boring than taggart's.

Calvin is a USF grad who has run 3 different top 10 offenses in the country.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We need someone who has BCS level experience, or whatever you call BCS now.  P5 experience?  At least someone at the AAC level or higher.  No dipping into the Sun Belt or C-USA coaching pool.  There has to be a proven coach who would love to show he can turn around USF, or even a top notch assistant at a higher level program.  Kind of like what we did with the men's BB coach.  I would not even care if the coach used USF as a stepping stone for a higher paying job.  Plenty of coaches do it, so we should not shy away from those types of coaches.

What we need to put very low on the list is a coach with the "hometown connection".  I could care less of the coach grew up in the area or played high school football in the area or has relatives in the area.  This is a job, not a reunion festival.

You realize these are totally incompatible.

To bring a P5 coach, you have to pay ABOVE P5 wages to get him, or he'll work at the P5 school with all the amenities.

To pay someone less - someone who would leave for a higher-paying P5 job - by definition you will have to ire someone who is not YET a P5-level coach, or one who was and flamed out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

If Harlan can go to the Kentucky basketball program and get a great assistant, I'm not worried about Taggart's replacement. He'd probably get an assistant from Alabama or another top 5 P5 school.

I think we should go the SMU route and only interview ex BCS/P5 head coaches ...

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

Either butch Davis or Calvin McGee would be the best options right now

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

I would love to see John "Doc" Holliday come here! Averaging almost 46 ppg while giving up only 16.5 ppg. Added bonus is if the DC follows, he likes to run a 4-3 defense! Holliday is only making 600k at Marshall too.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If Harlan can go to the Kentucky basketball program and get a great assistant, I'm not worried about Taggart's replacement. He'd probably get an assistant from Alabama or another top 5 P5 school.

I think we should go the SMU route and only interview ex BCS/P5 head coaches ...

I thought going the SMU route meant hiring Nick Saban? Isn't that what was decided?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Butch is a proven winner, With that said USF doesn't need a scandal on top of everything else going on here lately.   Not saying Butch is or was part of or the reasons for the scandals at Miami and UNC but both those programs have had major issues.   UNC is about to get hammered as we speak by the NCAA

A huge scandal on par with Miami's or UNC's would be the death sentence for USF football ever getting into a power conference.  The lack of support, lack of fans, tickets sales,  followed by lack of wins,  and a scandal would make us  VERY UNATTRACTIVE to Any other conference.

I think Tags gets a few more games before his fate is decided.  Im hoping that Harlan has his rolodex  open and feelers out. If Tags loses to SMU it could be the end of the "Do Something" campaign.  ( I say few more games because I Think we beat SMU).  

Edited by Dhambuc