• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Take A Selfie At USF Graduation, Lose Your Degree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Made the national NBC News app! No dancing, selfies, ect at graduation or they will hold your degree. Draconian. I opened the app, didn't know what school and as soon as I saw WFLA my stomach sank.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/55028220#55028220

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

wtf

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I actually support this

When I graduated 2 years ago, the amount of rudeness on the stage due to students holding up the line was very annoying.

I know graduation is a celebration, however the actual stage walk is supposed to be the "formal" portion of it.  This is the time you are getting the degree and shaking hands with the president, and other important figures of the university.  There is PLENTY of time to celebrate before and after.

Now I can understand doing a "happy dance" or taking a QUICK photo(s) while walking.  I saw some students do this, and i thought it was fine.

But some were holding up the line doing a complete dance, march, or just stopping and taking multiple pictures which is rude to the other students, particularly those behind them.

The announcers are reading the names at a quick rate do to the sheer size of the class, so then the next student doesn't have the time/recognition now since their name has already been read and/or has to quickly go across the stage to "catch up."

There is a time and place for everything.

/End of rant

--

Also, other universities and colleges are taking similar matters. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the standard among most institutions.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

I walked back in 2010.

Let's be real...if you don't take a moment to enjoy yourself, it is a blur. I don't mind if people want to do something quick. But the people who are trying to do their walk via handstand are excessive. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

I graduated this past December. Having the entire graduating class walk across the stage took long enough. It may have been an hour and a half. Selfies only slow this down even more. 

Holding the degree seems a bit excessive though.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I don't remember USF having keynote commencement speakers at graduation ceremonies I've attended at USF the last few years. Were speakers so bad that I just remember them speaking, or doesn't USF have keynote speakers? I'm guessing squeezing in speakers is too much for the 90 minute ceremonies.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

They can hold it all they want.  It will still show you graduated if the employer calls the university. Just a way to keep the show moving.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487

Made the national NBC News app! No dancing, selfies, ect at graduation or they will hold your degree. Draconian. I opened the app, didn't know what school and as soon as I saw WFLA my stomach sank.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/55028220#55028220

Very misleading headline: 

One university is banning students from taking selfies during the graduation ceremony and says those caught doing so may have their degrees withheld. 

You can take selfies during the ceremony, just not on stage. I agree with the University that it is inappropriate.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Back to first principles ...

You can do whatever you want as long as you don't infringe on others' right to do the same

Taking selfies in line is not infringing, holding up the line IS.

If you can do it without disrupting others, go for it IMO. Personally I love it when someone does a backflip, etc, during graduation. Breaks up the monotony.

But as soon as what you do inconveniences others, you lose the right to do it.

Simple, really.