• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any Other Cord Cutters Out There?

slick1ru2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

No kids, not married, and a roommate makes cable make a lot of sense for me.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

This thread is hilarious, especially because I thought another one of us had a baby before clicking on the post.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

This thread delivers (pun intended...)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

Consumers Report (yeah, I'm that old that I read it) did a piece on this recently.  Lots of options out there.  But until I can get ESPN and the Fox Sports from other than FIOS or Brighthouse I think I'm locked in.  Would love to tell both of them to shove it, but I keep getting it in the arse myself each month.  My phone/cable/internet bill is now twice as much as my first mortgage.  :furious3:

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Still pay for cable and I don't see me cutting the cord anytime soon. If anything there is too much great cable TV out there that i will happily pay for (The Americans, Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicone Valley, Archer, Parts Unknown, The Walking Dead, Fargo, Vice, Workaholics, It's Always Sunny, Newsroom) and enough Network shows that make it worth it to me.

That is great and all if being entertained 24/7 is your goal.

I realized cable wasn't for me when I started writing my short and long term goals frequently. Having cable advances none of my goals except maybe family time which sometimes a family TV show can bring the family together, but Netflix and redbox suffice.

I really miss ESPN and The walking dead and that's it, and each of these for only about 20 days out of the year, so the 80+/mo (960/yr) ESPN would cost is too much for 12 football games i can watch at bars and TV episodes I can buy for $40. For $1,000/year I'd get more enjoyment spending it on video games than cable.

Also note the cost drop dramatically if living with roommates but I live alone. Once I move in with my future wife and we can split the rent and cable costs maybe I'll give it a look, but for now living alone I find the cost too high.

Serious challenge for those reading, decide 8 -10 things you want to achieve in the next year, think big, and write them out, and then see if cable TV will help you reach any of them. Reach a certain income, start a business, finish degree, own a home, learn and instrument, travel to Spain, whatever, coach kids team to championship, own a Ferrarri, whatever it is, I bet cable TV isn't involved unless you want to be a TV show critic.

I think just about every non-HBO show he listed is on NetFlix, which is under $10/month.

This website tells if shows can be streaming and where and if not, you can sign up for notification for when it can be streamed.

http://www.canistream.it/

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  36
  • Days Won:  0

Cut the cord 2 years ago and do not miss it. Have 2 smart TVs and one Roku 3 plus a Sony "smart" Blu Ray player. Also have antennas on TVs and get over 50 channels locally OTA. Also have Hulu Plus and Netflix for less than $25 a month after paying $180 per month for Directv. Have more shows than I know what to do with and the rare show that isnt on Hulu or Netflix is always on Amazon. About the only change I will make is from my nondescript ISP to Comcast this summer so I can get ESPN3. 

Talk about nostalgia, we watched The Ten Commandments Saturday night on ABC via antenna.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I just moved into a new condo in downtown San Antonio three weeks ago. I had my television installers going to town with my televisions before I had unpacked one box. I have three TV's in my office - a 54" flanked by two 32" (all for sports - I'm doing eight fantasy baseball leagues presently), a 75" in the living room for dinner with the wife, a 54" in the master for bedtime (that also has Apple TV connected to it), and a 42" in the guest room for when someone comes by to visit. I had DirecTv forever, however the condo association won't allow us to have a satellite that protrudes past the railing (snobby *****) and that was the only way to get a signal with my views. So, I'm stuck with Time Warner Cable now. I carry every sports package except the ones for soccer - that's for the gays. My bill averages $270 a month (doesn't include additional fees for the premium sports packages I purchase annually for MLB, CFB, NBA, and NHL). Like my mentor Steve Mazza, I would be lost without cable television. It's a welcome break from work (I work out of my condo but average 14-16 hour work days) plus I'm doing an executive MBA program now (fly to TN in the morning for classes). My monthly cable bill is less than 2% of my monthly take home (and my wife does pretty well for herself as a doctor in addition to what I'm banking). To me, it's a worthwhile expense. 

I just moved into a new condo in downtown San Antonio three weeks ago. I had my television installers going to town with my televisions before I had unpacked one box. I have three TV's in my office - a 54" flanked by two 32" (all for sports - I'm doing eight fantasy baseball leagues presently), a 75" in the living room for dinner with the wife, a 54" in the master for bedtime (that also has Apple TV connected to it), and a 42" in the guest room for when someone comes by to visit. I had DirecTv forever, however the condo association won't allow us to have a satellite that protrudes past the railing (snobby *****) and that was the only way to get a signal with my views. So, I'm stuck with Time Warner Cable now. I carry every sports package except the ones for soccer - that's for the gays. My bill averages $270 a month (doesn't include additional fees for the premium sports packages I purchase annually for MLB, CFB, NBA, and NHL). Like my mentor Steve Mazza, I would be lost without cable television. It's a welcome break from work (I work out of my condo but average 14-16 hour work days) plus I'm doing an executive MBA program now (fly to TN in the morning for classes). My monthly cable bill is less than 2% of my monthly take home (and my wife does pretty well for herself as a doctor in addition to what I'm banking). To me, it's a worthwhile expense. 

Unfortunately Time Warner isn't on the ESPN ISP partners list. You get all the ESPN Gameplan games in HD online if your provider is a partner, on ESPN3.com.

I had no choice but to cut the cord when my wife was told her job is being outsourced to India. I felt the same way you do. When it happened, I had Dish and every package they offer, America 250 , Blockbuster, all the premiums, etc. I only do their Multi-Sports in the Fall for Redzone and the extra channels with the college games. This year I guess I will be looking at the bootleg feeds, locals OTA and NFL Rewind. I had Sunday Ticket Online last year which includes RedZone which worked out well. It costs the same as it does on DirecTV but they had it as part of the special Madden 25 Anniversary edition which was an extra $40 over the regular $59 version. I wish they had it this year, I think the Bucs are going to be a lot better than last year.