• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Knight: Prep coach: Mercurius has signed with USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Prep coach: Mercurius has signed with USF

Joey Knight

Times Staff Writer

Faith Baptist combo guard Dinero Mercurius, the final commitment of former USF coach Stan Heath, has signed his letter of intent with the Bulls, his prep-school coach said.

Faith Baptist coach Kenny Gillion, whose Brandon-based non-FHSAA program plays an independent national schedule, said Mercurius signed Thursday night at his Orlando home. USF had not announced the signing as of early Friday afternoon.

The NCAA's spring signing period began Wednesday.

Mercurius would become the latest in a succession of Eagles point guards to reach the Division I level, joining Kareem Canty (Marshall), Shawn Smith (Texas A&M), Deshaun Morman (Cincinnati) and Rasham Suarez (Southern Miss).

Mercurius' stats from this past season (17 ppg, six assists) were the best of ....

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

6-4 PG, can distribute and shoot the 3 pretty well. Good get, on paper!

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

If Coach kept the offer, then he must see something in the kid.  Good luck DM and welcome to Bull Nation!

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

If Coach kept the offer, then he must see something in the kid.  Good luck DM and welcome to Bull Nation!

There are reasons why he kept him and it was very smart. I listed those in another thread. It's really a win/win situation for USF. If the kid surprises and contributes that is great, if he doesn't then it is still good for the future. Either way the program got better with Coach O keeping the young man.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

interesting

coach heath must have done a good job recruiting

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need that jumper to be cash money

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Excited to see what he can do.

He's starting USF this coming fall, corrrect?

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

interesting

coach heath must have done a good job recruiting

He did. One thing that we can thank Heath for is building up the roster with talent to work with. I expect wins right away next season.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

More

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: April 19, 2014

Web Release: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209472012

Mercurius Signs With USF

Mercurius joins Holston as signees for 2014-15

TAMPA, APRIL 19, 2014 – USF men’s basketball coach Orlando Antigua announced the signing of shooting guard Dinero Mercurius to a national letter of intent on Saturday.

Originally from The Bronx, N.Y., Mercurius averaged 17 points and six assists last season at Faith Baptist Christian School in nearby Brandon, Fla. On three occasions, Mercurius scored over 30 points in a game including a high of 34. He scored 25 points, including the game-winning shot, in a 70-66 win over Future College Prep, a team that won over 70 games.

“Dinero is the best shooter I’ve ever coached,” said Faith Baptist head coach Kenny Gillion, who has coached many high-major guards such as Shawn Smith (Texas A&M) and Deshaun Morman (Cincinnati). “His work ethic is tremendous and his best years are ahead of him.”

Prior to Faith Baptist, Mercurius attended University High School in Orlando from 2009-13. He joined shooting guard Troy Holston from Oldsmar Christian as signees for the 2014-15 season.

“I’m excited about both Troy and Dinero coming to USF,” said Antigua. “They are two great young men who are really long, active wings and can really shoot the ball and work extremely hard.”

- #GoBulls -

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Official.

@USFMBB: We are pleased to welcome Dinero Mercurius to USF http://t.co/ncTWG2LBIq #GoBulls