• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

OT: Interesting USF incoming freshman facts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

FWIW:  the 1190 was on the 1600 scale.  Schools are going away from the 2400 scale.

Also, SAT is going to be revamped soon too, starting in 2016.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

They always revamp it when report card grade inflation outpaces SAT scores by too much.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

what's that saying about statistics? they can be manipulated to say anything you want.

every school in the country trots out these same stats to make alumni feel proud and legislators feel like they are getting a good return on their tax dollars.

most of the increases are due to grade inflation and a huge increase in the number of applications peer student being sent to schools.

I laugh when my UF buddies say how hard it is to get in there now and site the low acceptance rates as proof. guess what happens if you only have a limited # of seats and kids are putting in 12 applications per year instead of the standard 3 or 4 when we were applying? that's right acceptance rates go down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us/led-by-stanfords-5-top-colleges-acceptance-rates-hit-new-lows.html?hpw&rref=us&_r=0

Several universities, including Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania, had admission rates this year that were less than half of those from a decade ago. The University of Chicago’s rate plummeted to a little over 8 percent, from more than 40 percent.

Students applying to seven or more colleges made up just 9 percent of the applicant pool in 1990, but accounted for 29 percent in 2011, according to surveys by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, and counselors and admissions officers say they think the figure has gone higher still.

Bruce Poch, a former admissions dean at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif., said he saw “the opposite of a virtuous cycle at work†in admissions. “Kids see that the admit rates are brutal and dropping, and it looks more like a crapshoot,†he said. “So they send more apps, which forces the colleges to lower their admit rates, which spurs the kids next year to send even more apps.â€

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Good for USF.

NWIH woulld I get in nowadays...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Makes me proud to be involved in education. Writing is now "optional" when showing a college what kind of skills you have. Or it the academic equivalent of a QB not throwing at the NFL combine?

To be fair, prior to several years ago, writing was not on the SAT at all - so I'm not sure that the trend you are noting is entirely accurate.

Good for USF.

NWIH woulld I get in nowadays...

Yeah you would. Because a 4.0 is the new 2.0 gpa.

• Upvote 1

Makes me proud to be involved in education. Writing is now "optional" when showing a college what kind of skills you have. Or it the academic equivalent of a QB not throwing at the NFL combine?

To be fair, prior to several years ago, writing was not on the SAT at all - so I'm not sure that the trend you are noting is entirely accurate.

But it does in fact currently exist. Anyone in higher education can attest to how atrocious writing skills are these days compared to even 10 years ago. Colleges have a way to take a look at writing skills prior to the student getting on campus. Yet, it is optional?

I should remove "now " from my original post.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

what's that saying about statistics? they can be manipulated to say anything you want.

every school in the country trots out these same stats to make alumni feel proud and legislators feel like they are getting a good return on their tax dollars.

most of the increases are due to grade inflation and a huge increase in the number of applications peer student being sent to schools.

I laugh when my UF buddies say how hard it is to get in there now and site the low acceptance rates as proof. guess what happens if you only have a limited # of seats and kids are putting in 12 applications per year instead of the standard 3 or 4 when we were applying? that's right acceptance rates go down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us/led-by-stanfords-5-top-colleges-acceptance-rates-hit-new-lows.html?hpw&rref=us&_r=0

Several universities, including Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania, had admission rates this year that were less than half of those from a decade ago. The University of Chicago’s rate plummeted to a little over 8 percent, from more than 40 percent.

Students applying to seven or more colleges made up just 9 percent of the applicant pool in 1990, but accounted for 29 percent in 2011, according to surveys by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, and counselors and admissions officers say they think the figure has gone higher still.

Bruce Poch, a former admissions dean at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif., said he saw “the opposite of a virtuous cycle at work†in admissions. “Kids see that the admit rates are brutal and dropping, and it looks more like a crapshoot,†he said. “So they send more apps, which forces the colleges to lower their admit rates, which spurs the kids next year to send even more apps.â€

I agree with this 100%

Many students are applying to universities that they wont even consider going, just because family/friends tell them to... or so they can get an admission letter to boost their ego.

Also, grades are becoming a joke.  With more and more manipulation occurring with private, home school, prep institutions, even some public high schools that want to increase their reputation, and you add that with way over-inflated GPA values.

For example, a kid recently graduated with a 9.3 GPA.  You now get bonus points for AP, IB, online, dual enrollment and other options that never existed when I was in HS.  In addition, the kid who had a 9.3 GPA graduated with 70 high school credits... high school requires only 24 credits, which is another option that didn't exist before.

A major problem is that most of these high school academic options are icompletely unregulated and unverifiable (online courses and such.)

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Related thread on Alma Mater board, for those interested.

http://thebullspen.com/topic/92865-another-record-setting-class-enters-usf/

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I went to the dinner, they shared a lot of solid stats on USF businesses. We are in good shape as an organization

Got the opportunity to go to the dinner with the gf - her company was in the top 56. Definitely a positive note about the school as a whole. Had a USF corporate relations guy at my table, had some good discussion. First time I've probably heard Judy speak in depth that wasn't an athletics related event. Pretty cool knowing some head honchos at TECO are USF guys.