• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CoachO busy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Iverson was better than Jordan IMO. AI is the greatest ever - he didn't have Jordan's supporting cast.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Collins has not been healthy since his freshman year. If he comes back healthy he is one of the best point guards in the conference, if not the country. He was playing in a slow down offense. He was either near or at the top of the conference in both years he played, in assists. His freshmen year he averaged about the same number of points per game as Rudd did. Heath's offense did not ask him to be a big time scorer. I am not saying he will be a big time scorer.

A little confused about the "liability on defense" comment. He was in the top ten or fifteen of the conference in steals both years he played so far.

Without putting much thought into, my first thought was he wasn't so durable, but then I remembered that in each of the first two years he really hasn't come out of games. His problems have been post season surgeries. I think even in his freshmen year he didn't play until about the 5th or 6th game because he was healing from something.

As far as coach O and staff looking for a point guard, well, your back up point guard just transferred and your main guy is either going to be a junior or senior (dependent on granting of a redshirt) and has had surgery the last couple of years, since there really isn't a true back up point guard on roster I would say bringing in a point is probably a priority.

The only thing I worry about with Collins is coming back near 100%. He isn't the crazy, acrobatic shooter that Rudd is, but A healthy Anthony Collins is probably the smartest basketball player on the floor and there is no doubt he can run any offense out there. Just give him a a decent supporting cas

Collins shot 51% from the field and 85% from the FT line as a freshman.

Collins shot 39% from the field and 79% from the FT line as a sophomore

Collins shot 30% from the field and 76% from the FT line as a junior

You cannot use steals to determine a great defensive player. If that was the case Allen Iverson was just as good of a defender as Michael Jordan which nobody that has watched the two player would ever dare say.

After teams adjusted to Collins by being more physical with him when they could get away with it(how many times has this guy been knocked down?) and by backing off him until he could prove he could hurt them from the perimeter, AC numbers dipped from his sensational freshman season. Those shooting numbers are unacceptable for a guy that isn't trying to hoist up a bunch of long jumpers.

Also if USF could someway, somehow get Devonte Graham, he isn't coming to USF to be a backup PG. If he isn't starting from the beginning then he will all likely be around conference time, unless Collins can show dramatic improvement on both ends of the floor. Maybe he can, we shall see.

You respond to a comment about defense by talking about his offense?  Collins defense was a major reason the team went to The Tourney two years ago, was it not?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Collins has not been healthy since his freshman year. If he comes back healthy he is one of the best point guards in the conference, if not the country. He was playing in a slow down offense. He was either near or at the top of the conference in both years he played, in assists. His freshmen year he averaged about the same number of points per game as Rudd did. Heath's offense did not ask him to be a big time scorer. I am not saying he will be a big time scorer.

A little confused about the "liability on defense" comment. He was in the top ten or fifteen of the conference in steals both years he played so far.

Without putting much thought into, my first thought was he wasn't so durable, but then I remembered that in each of the first two years he really hasn't come out of games. His problems have been post season surgeries. I think even in his freshmen year he didn't play until about the 5th or 6th game because he was healing from something.

As far as coach O and staff looking for a point guard, well, your back up point guard just transferred and your main guy is either going to be a junior or senior (dependent on granting of a redshirt) and has had surgery the last couple of years, since there really isn't a true back up point guard on roster I would say bringing in a point is probably a priority.

The only thing I worry about with Collins is coming back near 100%. He isn't the crazy, acrobatic shooter that Rudd is, but A healthy Anthony Collins is probably the smartest basketball player on the floor and there is no doubt he can run any offense out there. Just give him a a decent supporting cas

Collins shot 51% from the field and 85% from the FT line as a freshman.

Collins shot 39% from the field and 79% from the FT line as a sophomore

Collins shot 30% from the field and 76% from the FT line as a junior

You cannot use steals to determine a great defensive player. If that was the case Allen Iverson was just as good of a defender as Michael Jordan which nobody that has watched the two player would ever dare say.

After teams adjusted to Collins by being more physical with him when they could get away with it(how many times has this guy been knocked down?) and by backing off him until he could prove he could hurt them from the perimeter, AC numbers dipped from his sensational freshman season. Those shooting numbers are unacceptable for a guy that isn't trying to hoist up a bunch of long jumpers.

Also if USF could someway, somehow get Devonte Graham, he isn't coming to USF to be a backup PG. If he isn't starting from the beginning then he will all likely be around conference time, unless Collins can show dramatic improvement on both ends of the floor. Maybe he can, we shall see.

You respond to a comment about defense by talking about his offense?  Collins defense was a major reason the team went to The Tourney two years ago, was it not?

As a freshman which has already be acknowledged. That style of play that allowed that is gone. It's about what can Collins do for Coach O and his style of play. While Coach O isn't married to a the blitz style of play, he certainly isn't going to coach a limit the position Heathball style either.

Again maybe Rod Strickland and Coach O can get Collins up to a high enough standard to get what they need from him. I hope so because it's not like we have Graham ready to take the head position on the court if Collins can't do it. We're up the creek without a paddle if there isn't good play from the PG spot.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not convinced AC will ever be 100% which is why i wouldn't be surprised if Antigua goes after a PG in the signing period

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Iverson was better than Jordan IMO. AI is the greatest ever - he didn't have Jordan's supporting cast.

Uhhhh...NO

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Iverson can't carry Chucky Atkins jock.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised? Health had a few blips, but he was not a winner or champion. Orlando has been apart of NC team that has been consistently good. He's coached along another great coach and know what needs to be done to win. He's going to win.

What are you talking about? Heath was an assistant on a National Championship team and 3 final 4 teams at Michigan State. He also went to an elite 8 as a Head Coach.

We have a lot of hope with coach O, but until he gets it done as a head coach hope and potential is all it is.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I believe a man would get jumped for saying that here in Cackalackey! ;) Blasphemy!

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised? Health had a few blips, but he was not a winner or champion. Orlando has been apart of NC team that has been consistently good. He's coached along another great coach and know what needs to be done to win. He's going to win.

What are you talking about? Heath was an assistant on a National Championship team and 3 final 4 teams at Michigan State. He also went to an elite 8 as a Head Coach.

We have a lot of hope with coach O, but until he gets it done as a head coach hope and potential is all it is.

I hate to be this guy but that was ancient history.    Heath had 12 seasons as the Head Coach of Arkansas and USF with an overall record of 179 - 200.  Zero Conference Titles.  2-3 record in the NCAA Tournament.   .294 Conference win percentage at USF.  Heath is an average basketball coach.   He seems like a really good guy that really wanted to do alot for our program and I appreciate that but he just doesn't have it.   Coach O does just bring hope as of right now, but I would rather have hope then  mediocrity..

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I hate to be this guy but that was ancient history.    Heath had 12 seasons as the Head Coach of Arkansas and USF with an overall record of 179 - 200.  Zero Conference Titles.  2-3 record in the NCAA Tournament.   .294 Conference win percentage at USF.  Heath is an average basketball coach.   He seems like a really good guy that really wanted to do alot for our program and I appreciate that but he just doesn't have it.   Coach O does just bring hope as of right now, but I would rather have hope then  mediocrity..

Stan Heath was much more successful when he took the USF job than Coach O is right now. 

Stan has won before, and I believe in the right situation, can win again.

Edited by theman123