• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football Finds MLB Replacement On Offensive Side Of Ball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Midway through last year’s disappointing 2-10 season, University of South Florida‘s head coach Willie Taggart admitted that he was so desperate to find offensive and defensive playmakers that he was willing to move players from offense to defense and vice versaicon1.png in hopes of making the team better. While there were no position changes during the season, that mindset prompted the staff to make a change during the offseason, and it appears to have worked.

With the graduation of defensive leader DeDe Lattimore, there was a hole at the middle linebacker position. However, after a seven tackle performance in the USF spring gameicon1.png two weeks ago, it looks as if defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan may have found Lattimore’s replacement in red shirt freshman Auggie Sanchez.

Sanchez, a native of nearby Saint Petersburg, FL, came to USF as decorated linebacker, but was offered a scholarship by the USF staff to playicon1.png fullback. While starring at Northeast High School, Sanchez was no stranger to playing both sides of the ball; offensively he lined up at tight end, wide receiver and even “wildcat†quarterback, but he garnered the most attention while playing defense. After being moved from defensive end to linebacker in order to get more attention from college scouts, Sanchez responded by compiling 160 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss during his senior season.

While he has adapted to the physical growth needed to perform on the collegiate level, he currently is 20 pounds heavier than his high school playing weight of 220 pound. The biggest question going into spring practice was if he had the instincts needed to be the “quarterback of the defense.â€

“He really does a great job of just dissecting what the offense is trying to do,†said coach Chuck Bresnahan in a recent post-practice interview about the mental ability of his new linebacker. “I think he understands formation tendencies, he picks it up very very quickicon1.png mentally. So the first time our offense runs something, the very next time he’s one step ahead of them.â€

There still is plenty of practice time before the 2014 season opener against Western Carolina on Aug. 30, but the vote of confidence from the defensive coordinator has to please the USF fanbase. Now, if the Bulls can ever find stability from the offensive quarterback, maybe coach Willie Taggart can begin to move the entire team towards winning more footballicon1.png games.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2014/04/08/usf-football-finds-middle-lb-replacement-on-offensive-side-of-ball/?Tig91XiGI3FWPh37.99

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Dude just had to find something negative to end the piece on...poor writing, totally unrelated to the topic. Thanks for the rest, though!

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

Someone has a man crush on Auggie to dedicate an article to one player.

But looking at those HS stats, it makes you wonder why he moved to FB to begin with.

Are we making the same mistake with Marlon Mack who committed as an RB but was 1st team all-defensive player?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This article was written BEFORE his breakout performance at MLB in the spring game. I expected big things from him.

For USF, Auggie Sanchez emerges as man in middle

Joey Knight, Times Staff Writer

JOEY KNIGHTTampa Bay Times

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:41pm

A second-year freshman who spent his redshirt season at fullback, Auggie Sanchez, a former two-way force at Northeast High, has both captured and kept the attention of his coaches this spring.

Augustin Sanchez, a former two-way standout at Northeast High who redshirted last season, appears ready to step in at middle linebacker after the departure of team MVP DeDe Lattimore.

TAMPA — The crevice in the center of their defense wasn't getting any smaller, and their list of immediate options wasn't getting much lengthier. As the calendar nudged closer to spring drills, USF's coaches needed an answer at middle linebacker.

They found one in a fullback who doubled as a throwback; a willing candidate who was fastening chin straps before he could tie his shoes. A guy with the instincts and brawn to both sniff out and snuff out a play.

His full name: Augustin Alberto Sanchez.

The Natural, for short.

"This kid does stuff so quick that you can say you coach it, and that it's reads and keys, but some guys have it more natural than other guys," Bulls defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said. "And Auggie's one of those guys."

At today's annual USF spring game, where hope for the future can be spawned and breakout performances can be preserved and savored for an entire summer, fans might wish to home in on No. 43 for the White team.

A second-year freshman who spent his redshirt season at fullback, Sanchez, a former two-way force at Northeast High, has both captured and kept the attention of his coaches this spring.

"He's amazing," cornerback Hassan Childs said. "He came over to defense and I was looking at him and I didn't realize who he was. I was like, 'Oh, that's Auggie.' He learned so fast, and he's so smart. He even helps me out sometimes on my coverage."

Which isn't to say Sanchez won't be challenged by incoming freshmen for the starting middle linebacker job in August. Daily competition, after all, is the Bulls' lifeblood.

Yet if this were a September game and not a spring one, Sanchez (6 feet 2, 244 pounds) likely would be tabbed to replace 2013 team MVP DeDe Lattimore.

"I think he has great instincts, and he's one of those guys that trusts his instincts," coach Willie Taggart said. "He looks natural at linebacker where he's not just jumping around and looking. He sees it and goes and gets it, and makes things happen."

The youngest of four kids, Sanchez's nose for the ball and taste for poultry served him favorably at Northeast, where he twice earned Class 7A all-state recognition.

Before each game, he would fortify himself with a Chick-fil-A sandwich, waffle fries and a dozen nuggets, then take the field and rarely come off. He made his biggest mark at linebacker, collecting 298 tackles and 39 sacks in three seasons.

But upon his arrival at USF, coaches put him at fullback to help deepen the position.

"That was a big need for us," Taggart said. "And Auggie played a little of both in high school."

Then graduation day arrived, and Lattimore departed. Hans Louis — now a fifth-year senior — remained on the middle linebacker depth chart, but the Bulls were tinkering with a 3-4 alignment and needed more inside help.

At season-ending player-evaluation meetings, Sanchez already had inquired about moving back to defense. Coaches obliged.

By the second spring practice, Bresnahan was touting Sanchez's instinctiveness.

"I feel like I'm at home. I really missed playing defense," Sanchez said. "I feel like it's a smooth transition from fullback because I don't think I ever really gave up on playing linebacker in college. I feel like that's where I really have passion for the game."

For Sanchez, spring drills have been about re-acclimating and refining. Bresnahan is quick to note that while Sanchez hasn't been perfect, he's also not panicky. Once the offense runs something a first time, Bresnahan said, Sanchez is a step ahead the second.

In terms of middle linebacker ingredients, Sanchez's seem all-natural.

"There are little things he's doing right now that I'm really excited about," Bresnahan said. "There's a lot of upside to him right now."

. Today

USF spring game

When/where: 4 p.m.; Corbett Stadium (soccer stadium), USF campus

Radio: 98.7-FM

Admission: Free

Format: Two regularly timed quarters in first half, running clock in second half. Extended halftime for alumni flag football game

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/for-usf-auggie-sanchez-emerges-as-man-in-middle/2172409

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I miss Armando on special teams. If he can tackle half as well as his brother than I'll be happy.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

He knows what the offense is doing because he knows all the plays chuck. Let's see how good he is against other teams. He's promising but he'll have lots more competition come fall.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

He knows what the offense is doing because he knows all the plays chuck. Let's see how good he is against other teams. He's promising but he'll have lots more competition come fall.

Thought this same thing when I ready Bres' comments.  Regardless, it's promising that he's familiar with the position and seems like he has the potential to be a good fit at MLB. 

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Don't sleep on Nick Holman

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

It would be special to have a freshman excel at MLB with potentially 3 more years at that position.  I am routing for him. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I love that he asked to go to D, and they made it happen. He'll play harder if it's a position he wants. I'm rooting for him too. MLB needs a very heady athlete, and if the hype proves out...could be great for our D!