• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

football clearly drives expansion

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  12

Smazza is right. We will have another shot and football has a disproportionate impact. 

For now, improve academics and win the conference we are in.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The Big 12 took on TCU after their stellar football season.

Football drives markets; the markets drives expansion. Maybe both are indirectly true.

Either way, USF needs to win at both basketball and football to be considered. Not fair, but when you are a young Univ., that is what happens.

It's not about football, basketball, or markets. At least not directly.

It's about merchandise, ticket, and advertising sales. These are the Benjamins behind it all.

We don't sell enough ads, tickets, or jerseys, nor does it appear that we will in the foreseeable future, to justify an invite to the adults table.

I think USF would do a lot better if the school and fans didn't worry moving into P5 and just concentrate on the task/opponents at hand. Let's see success at THIS level for awhile instead of all the hand wringing over moving to P5.
This is excellent advice Slick. I have been echoing it over and over. How can one enjoy anything USF athletics if you are always worrying about conference realignment. Personally, I stopped caring long ago...for me it is all about the game at hand.
You say that until UCF, Cincy, or UCONN get their invite out; and We are stuck with new CUSA schools.
True but you know what? There is not a **** thing you, I, or anyone can do about it, so you might as well enjoy the **** game. Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Football drives markets; the markets drives expansion. Maybe both are indirectly true.

Either way, USF needs to win at both basketball and football to be considered. Not fair, but when you are a young Univ., that is what happens.

It's about merchandise, ticket, and advertising sales. These are the Benjamins behind it all.

We don't sell enough ads, tickets, or jerseys, nor does it appear that we will in the foreseeable future, to justify an invite to the adults table.

I think USF would do a lot better if the school and fans didn't worry moving into P5 and just concentrate on the task/opponents at hand. Let's see success at THIS level for awhile instead of all the hand wringing over moving to P5.

This is excellent advice Slick. I have been echoing it over and over. How can one enjoy anything USF athletics if you are always worrying about conference realignment. Personally, I stopped caring long ago...for me it is all about the game at hand.

The performance on the field has prevented most from enjoying anything about USF athletics.

True but it is the cycle of sports, we will be get better. Regardless, most on this board at least keep watching. Hell, I am 1200 miles away and I am watching a two win team play some school I used to call Memphis State. I am still going to watch no mater the circumstance.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Agree. The things the school can do, they are already doing. That is continuing to improve the academic standing and improving the facilities. The other thing they need to do is to build attendance. That is where winning will come into play. Hopefully, Taggart gets this thing moving forward and in an interesting way. Same for Antigua. Harlan is supposed to be a marketing guy. If USF is an exciting, interesting, fun brand that can attract fans to the stadium and, more importantly, to the tv set, then the invites will come.

The whole thing is about money, not just winning. If no one wants to watch, the conference doesn't make money, no matter how much you win.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

No, markets do.

Rutgers football has sucked for decades, as has their bball. The B1G believed they were getting the NYC market by taking Rutgers.

They were sadly mistaken.

there is no college market in ny

but uconn has less of a tv market for sure

no one willever be able to explain to me that taking rutgers made any sense for the big 10

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

No, markets do.

Rutgers football has sucked for decades, as has their bball. The B1G believed they were getting the NYC market by taking Rutgers.

They were sadly mistaken.

there is no college market in ny

but uconn has less of a tv market for sure

no one willever be able to explain to me that taking rutgers made any sense for the big 10

the reason they did it is extra money they'll get from TV partners.

Looks like i just explained it.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

We need to focus on winning the elusive conference championship.  If we can accomplish this and continue to dominate our conference, then we will be part of the expansion conversation.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

The last two seasons (in both major sports) resulted in a worst case scenario.

We know that we can not accept mediocrity.

The AAC will fall into irrelevance, as the P5 recruit top performers. (UCONN, Cincy, or UCF).

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't understand where you keep coming up with this whole "winning means the P5 will recruit Cincy, UCONN and UCF".

Since we joined the BE, Cincy won 4 conference championships and UCONN won 2. Same as UL, more than Pitt and Rutgers. Cincy was the same as WVU.

It is so much more than just winning. Just saying if you win you will get an invite is very simplistic.

Pure and simple, the only thing driving expansion is cold hard cash.

Yes, the teams the have been part of expansion have had winning teams, at times, but the more important thing they brought to the table is an exciting, recognizable brand that more importantly brings a conference a gateway to the ATM machine (tv sets).

Louisville has been one of the media darlings of college football on and off for about a decade now. Their timing in getting rid of Kragthorpe was perfect and came at the time the Bridgewater put together the notable, PR worthy career. Fans wanted to watch Louisville play. Their brand remained relevant year round because they also have a Hall of Fame BB coach that is consistently one of the top teams in the country.

Rutgers was chosen because of their market. With their AAU designation and their geographical footprint they just happen to fit the profile of what the B1G was looking for in their expansion vision and potential for the Big Ten network. Trust me, they were not chosen because they beat up on USF yearly.

They bring a huge potential audience for both the NYC metro market and the Philly market.

If Bortles and Johnson would have stayed on board and kept UCF in the public on for another year they may have been in the situation as UL. Now, even if they do well this year (which I don't expect) they are back to be confused with USF unless someone their emerges as a huge media presence and they stay on the natonal stage for another couple of years.

It is about becoming a national brand that is desireable to viewer giving them a reason to watch so the conferences can make money.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

The Mouse( the Evil Empire of ESPN ) is what is driving this train.  Follow the money people.   Its about Eyeballs (TV Markets) ect......    Winning will create more eyeballs and exposure, However winning is not the Sole path to the Power 5.   (See Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Colorado, ect) over the recent years.  A lot of it based on Market share. 

As for the Big 10 AAU is "part of who they are"  but we see that got thrown out the window when Nebraska came on board. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

Edited by Dhambuc