• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart, White, Bench and others

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I spoke with White's uncle at the spring game and he also said that White and Bench are now friends, although it started out a bit rocky...

EDIT: He didn't volunteer any details as to why, but it seemed obvious that it had to do with their competition.

White's uncle also said that in White's first start against Houston CWT dumbed down the playbook, which is why White looked so good, but then returned to his standard playbook the rest of the season, which is why he struggled after that. Said he expects both QBs and the offense in general to be significantly better this year (consistent with what most people think)...

Would have been nice if Willie T had dumbed down the playbook from the get-go. All the motion, shifts, reads, looks, etc were too much for the team to handle. I think his stubborn pride got in the way.

I don't think it was so much stubbornness and pride but the realization that if you want to get the best out of your players you have to challenge them beyond what they are currently capable of. We should see the results of this in the upcoming season. 

Agree this is probably closer to the reality of the situation. Looking forward to the improvement from both QBs, and really looking forward to an improved line that can actually give them time to make reads.

At this point it is what it is in reference to him running his somewhat ridiculous complex offense. At the time i couldn't stand it because it was basically unwatchable, but now that it's out of the way and AS LONG AS THERE IS MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT this season coming up due to him forcing the team to go through it the entire season last year then it was worth it.

However, it worries me on the opposite end of that not being willing to make adjustments when it's needed. Not adjustments with personnel, adjustment with X's and O's, scheme, Etc.

Edited by USFbulls24

I spoke with White's uncle at the spring game and he also said that White and Bench are now friends, although it started out a bit rocky...

EDIT: He didn't volunteer any details as to why, but it seemed obvious that it had to do with their competition.

White's uncle also said that in White's first start against Houston CWT dumbed down the playbook, which is why White looked so good, but then returned to his standard playbook the rest of the season, which is why he struggled after that. Said he expects both QBs and the offense in general to be significantly better this year (consistent with what most people think)...

Would have been nice if Willie T had dumbed down the playbook from the get-go. All the motion, shifts, reads, looks, etc were too much for the team to handle. I think his stubborn pride got in the way.

I remember Tampa football fans saying the same thing about another Tampa Bay area football coach and he won a super bowl here. I’ve been saying this since coach T got here, his style is night and day than that of Skip :throwup:  and will take time to get everyone on the same page. IMO Taggart knew that the team last year was nowhere near a AAC contender let alone bowl quality so he used last year as a let’s see how things go season. I don’t think anyone thought it was going to be as bad as it was. You have to give Coach Taggart credit he stood his ground on his style of play and kept with it unlike Skip :throwup:  which seemed to change his style of play every other week.

I expect nothing less than a 7 win season which where we were last season i would say is a huge step in the right direction.

I have Bull goggles on just as much as the next USF fan but there is no way in hell this team wnis 7 games next year lol

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I have Bull goggles on just as much as the next USF fan but there is no way in hell this team wnis 7 games next year lol

Think you forgot to put on your goggles this morning...

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I remember Tampa football fans saying the same thing about another Tampa Bay area football coach and he won a super bowl here. I’ve been saying this since coach T got here, his style is night and day than that of Skip :throwup:  and will take time to get everyone on the same page. IMO Taggart knew that the team last year was nowhere near a AAC contender let alone bowl quality so he used last year as a let’s see how things go season. I don’t think anyone thought it was going to be as bad as it was. You have to give Coach Taggart credit he stood his ground on his style of play and kept with it unlike Skip :throwup:  which seemed to change his style of play every other week.

I expect nothing less than a 7 win season which where we were last season i would say is a huge step in the right direction.

Its not that far fetched if you look at it. All but sure wins vs Western Carolina, UConn, ECU, Tulsa, Memphis.  Feeling good about SMU, UCF (big down year for them), Think we have a shot vs Maryland and NC State.

Its not that far fetched if you look at it. All but sure wins vs Western Carolina, UConn, ECU, Tulsa, Memphis.  Feeling good about SMU, UCF (big down year for them), Think we have a shot vs Maryland and NC State.

ECU went 10-3 last year with double digit wins against UNC and North Carolina State and we're penciling in a win vs them? lol

I'll give you Western Carolina and UCONN. Tulsa we should win but it is @ Tulsa, ECU (see above), and Memphis we should win but they had no problem with us last year.  

I"m not saying we can't win a game or two we're supposed to lose, but what happened last year is not getting turned around with a complete 360 in 1 year. I can see us winning a game or two we're not supposed to, but also losing a few games we're supposed to win so it evens out. 

4-8 or 5-7 is what I expect 6-6 I think is best case scenario. Any of these records is a pretty big improvement from last year.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Wouldn't a complete 360 leave us right where we started?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I remember Tampa football fans saying the same thing about another Tampa Bay area football coach and he won a super bowl here. I’ve been saying this since coach T got here, his style is night and day than that of Skip :throwup: and will take time to get everyone on the same page. IMO Taggart knew that the team last year was nowhere near a AAC contender let alone bowl quality so he used last year as a let’s see how things go season. I don’t think anyone thought it was going to be as bad as it was. You have to give Coach Taggart credit he stood his ground on his style of play and kept with it unlike Skip :throwup: which seemed to change his style of play every other week.

Its not that far fetched if you look at it. All but sure wins vs Western Carolina, UConn, ECU, Tulsa, Memphis. Feeling good about SMU, UCF (big down year for them), Think we have a shot vs Maryland and NC State.

ECU went 10-3 last year with double digit wins against UNC and North Carolina State and we're penciling in a win vs them? lol

I'll give you Western Carolina and UCONN. Tulsa we should win but it is @ Tulsa, ECU (see above), and Memphis we should win but they had no problem with us last year.

I"m not saying we can't win a game or two we're supposed to lose, but what happened last year is not getting turned around with a complete 360 in 1 year. I can see us winning a game or two we're not supposed to, but also losing a few games we're supposed to win so it evens out.

4-8 or 5-7 is what I expect 6-6 I think is best case scenario. Any of these records is a pretty big improvement from last year.

Depends on the improvement on the OL and QB.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm hoping for a 540...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I'm hoping for a 540...

This whole discussion is spinning out of control. :)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think it was so much stubbornness and pride but the realization that if you want to get the best out of your players you have to challenge them beyond what they are currently capable of. We should see the results of this in the upcoming season. 

Challenge them, sure, great idea.  Putting them in a situation they will surely fail is just plain stupid.