• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SMU to the NIT finals

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The most USF thing we could say is "I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAAs"...

Exactly .... It's the Kanigits who treat losses with such reverence.
The NIT is pointless. You win a couple games against teams that weren't good enough to make the NCAAs. This year, only SMU had a real gripe being left out. FSU, Minnesota, etc weren't even really on the bubble.

You win a few games, does it do that much? Maybe, but for the most part the teams that do well in the NIT are guaranteed anything the next season.

The getting young players more prepared is a fun theory, but more likely than not those young players would grow losing in the first round of the NCAA too, they're young.

So, to me making the NCAAs > NIT Finals

if teams 1-64 made the ncaa then maybe you'd have a point about quality. that's not the case.

cal poly at 13-19 is not better than any of the teams that you listed who made the NIT and yet you think that them getting beat by witchita state by 27 is somehow better than smu or minn's run in NIT. quite a few lesser quality teams make it automatically . I'd rather my team win NIT than see them get beat by 40 by wisconsin in 1st round.

anybody who says they'd choose American's fate over SMU or Minn is insane.

I'd say getting to sweet 16 would trump it. probably even winning first round game but just getting there. no way. many poor teams can just get there.

No those poor teams won the right to get their ass kicked by winning their conference tournament. I know winning is a foreign concept here in USF land, but the NCAA is for winners. The NIT is for those that didn't win enough.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The most USF thing we could say is "I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAAs"...

The NIT is pointless. You win a couple games against teams that weren't good enough to make the NCAAs. This year, only SMU had a real gripe being left out. FSU, Minnesota, etc weren't even really on the bubble.

You win a few games, does it do that much? Maybe, but for the most part the teams that do well in the NIT are guaranteed anything the next season.

The getting young players more prepared is a fun theory, but more likely than not those young players would grow losing in the first round of the NCAA too, they're young.

if teams 1-64 made the ncaa then maybe you'd have a point about quality. that's not the case.

cal poly at 13-19 is not better than any of the teams that you listed who made the NIT and yet you think that them getting beat by witchita state by 27 is somehow better than smu or minn's run in NIT. quite a few lesser quality teams make it automatically . I'd rather my team win NIT than see them get beat by 40 by wisconsin in 1st round.

I'd say getting to sweet 16 would trump it. probably even winning first round game but just getting there. no way. many poor teams can just get there.

No those poor teams won the right to get their ass kicked by winning their conference tournament. I know winning is a foreign concept here in USF land, but the NCAA is for winners. The NIT is for those that didn't win enough.

/thread

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It's funny how you say winning is a foreign concept and then you would rather  LOSE an NCAA game over WINNING the NIT.

those crappy teams won a crappy conference. if you want to think that's better than winning the NIT in MSG then so be it.

To compare our situation, being in a multi-bid league that has a team in the Final Four, to a one big low-major is absurd. If we make the tourney as an at large bubble team from te AAC, we probably have a legit shot to win our opening game.

the question wasn't about winning the opening tournament game.

it was about LOSING the game or WINNING the NIT.

no brainer. I'll take WINNING over LOSING any day.

:facepalm:

The ONLY way a "poor" team can get there is by winning their conference. So you'd rather have USF NOT win their conference?

The goal is ALWAYS to win the conference and get to the NCAA's.

The NIT is nothing but a booby prize. Nice to have, but meaningless.

I'd rather win a national tournament in MSG against programs like Minnesota, FSU, SMU etc than win the big west tourney against cal state northridge who didn't even have a winning record this year.

cal poly didn't win their conference. in fact they came in 7th. they won their conference tourney

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Winning in the losers bracket. Classic.

you are choosing to LOSE.

Ironic.

I'd rather win div 2 football championship than lose beef o brady's bowl.

Not choosing to lose. Choosing to have a team that has won enough not to be in the NIT. You are choosing to lose in theory, during the regular season

you are choosing to LOSE.

Ironic.

I'd rather win div 2 football championship than lose beef o brady's bowl.

Another absurd comparison.

Besides, hasn't USF by pushing itself to major FBS football said we'd rather lose the BOB Bowl over winning a FCS championship?

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Straw arguments