• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

SMU to the NIT finals

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,606
  • Days Won:  51

You're looking at it from the beginning to the tourney. Look at it from after the end of the season. An NIT trophy and a 5 more win season or a loss in the first round off the NCAA's

Which is why it's such a fallacious argument. I reject your proposition

The only question that matters is, "would you rather go to the next NCAA or next NIT?"

Are you incapable of gauging success after project concludes or reviewing things in retrospect? Maybe this is more your speed...

Would you rather be the world's tallest midget OR shortest non midget? Please no P.C. Buhlsheet comments.

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The most USF thing we could say is "I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAAs"...

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

McDonald's All-American halftime viewing -- check out No. 5 recruit, SMU-bound Emmanuel Mudiay's senior year mixtape: http://youtu.be/LijOIr-swM0 

SMU might be the team to beat next year

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

McDonald's All-American halftime viewing -- check out No. 5 recruit, SMU-bound Emmanuel Mudiay's senior year mixtape: http://youtu.be/LijOIr-swM0 

SMU might be the team to beat next year

I don't know if they are the team to beat but that's a BIG TIME PG Prospect, 6-5 athletic and can shoot it too. SMU will have two talented PGs next season and that key Position is where Antigua and his future staff has to improve on our roster. Skilled guards is a must for USF over the next few seasons. Just have to survive and patch together a backcourt this coming season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

The most USF thing we could say is "I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAAs"...

Exactly .... It's the Kanigits who treat losses with such reverence.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

My answer to the question would all depend on what kind of team USF haves at the time.

- If we had a team full of Seniors, then I would much rather just make the NCAA's and lose in the first round.  That is what everyone who plays College Basketball is playing for.

- If our team was full of freshman and sophomores then I would much rather win the NIT.   Winning 6 consecutive games, the final 2 of which are played at the Garden would be a far more valuable experience then just making the NCAA's and getting wiped out in one game.   I have no doubt in my mind that SMU is going to be a major force next year and I wouldn't be shocked if they won the AAC and ended up with a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA tournament.    It's the same thing I say when people say :"Well who cares if USF makes the "Alabama Random Bowl".  Well that random bowl will give the football team and extra 5 - 7 practices and an extra game of experience.

Just my take on it.  I am actually very impressed with SMU because they could have just folded after getting the shaft this year for absolutely no reason other then the selection committee being biased against the AAC.   Creighton got a 3 seed and UConn got an 8 and then had the same exact record.  Villanova gets a 2 and Louisville gets a 4, when they had almost the exact same resume.   SMU gets left out when they had a 23-9 record with 2 wins over UConn, win over Memphis, win over Cincy, and a 3 point loss to a 1 seed (Virginia).   Their resume was better then USF's the year we made it in.

The NIT is pointless. You win a couple games against teams that weren't good enough to make the NCAAs. This year, only SMU had a real gripe being left out. FSU, Minnesota, etc weren't even really on the bubble.

You win a few games, does it do that much? Maybe, but for the most part the teams that do well in the NIT are guaranteed anything the next season.

The getting young players more prepared is a fun theory, but more likely than not those young players would grow losing in the first round of the NCAA too, they're young.

So, to me making the NCAAs > NIT Finals

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,709
  • Days Won:  23

The NIT is pointless. You win a couple games against teams that weren't good enough to make the NCAAs. This year, only SMU had a real gripe being left out. FSU, Minnesota, etc weren't even really on the bubble.

You win a few games, does it do that much? Maybe, but for the most part the teams that do well in the NIT are guaranteed anything the next season.

The getting young players more prepared is a fun theory, but more likely than not those young players would grow losing in the first round of the NCAA too, they're young.

if teams 1-64 made the ncaa then maybe you'd have a point about quality. that's not the case.

cal poly at 13-19 is not better than any of the teams that you listed who made the NIT and yet you think that them getting beat by witchita state by 27 is somehow better than smu or minn's run in NIT. quite a few lesser quality teams make it automatically . I'd rather my team win NIT than see them get beat by 40 by wisconsin in 1st round.

anybody who says they'd choose American's fate over SMU or Minn is insane.

I'd say getting to sweet 16 would trump it. probably even winning first round game but just getting there. no way. many poor teams can just get there.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

if teams 1-64 made the ncaa then maybe you'd have a point about quality. that's not the case.

cal poly at 13-19 is not better than any of the teams that you listed who made the NIT and yet you think that them getting beat by witchita state by 27 is somehow better than smu or minn's run in NIT. quite a few lesser quality teams make it automatically . I'd rather my team win NIT than see them get beat by 40 by wisconsin in 1st round.

I'd say getting to sweet 16 would trump it. probably even winning first round game but just getting there. no way. many poor teams can just get there.

:facepalm:

The ONLY way a "poor" team can get there is by winning their conference. So you'd rather have USF NOT win their conference?

The goal is ALWAYS to win the conference and get to the NCAA's.

The NIT is nothing but a booby prize. Nice to have, but meaningless.

To compare our situation, being in a multi-bid league that has a team in the Final Four, to a one big low-major is absurd. If we make the tourney as an at large bubble team from te AAC, we probably have a legit shot to win our opening game.