• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SMU to the NIT finals

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,458
  • Days Won:  422

Given that the new coach's contract pays $50K for making the NCAA and $25K for winning the NIT we know what USF believes is important.

That is interesting ... and probably the way it should be from the administrative point of view. Anything at all for just making the NIT?

I would think so. McMurphy reported Woolard got $5k for ladies making NIT. His bonuses match coach bonuses so I imagine the mens coach would get something.

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/448514878412976129

The appropriate response to that is "That was the low life, scum sucking Woolard. Things are different now."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

At some schools you get fired for making the NIT, at USF you get a bonus.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,964
  • Days Won:  469

If the ladies can make the NIT, Woolard should take more money...maybe even more money if the men could have made the WNIT.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I think it's awesome SMU made it to the final, coach Brown should be rewarded for making it there in his first year. That's crazy good, and I'd be ecstatic if USF made it to NIT next year.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If the ladies can make the NIT, Woolard should take more money...maybe even more money if the men could have made the WNIT.

:stirpot:  I see what you did there...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,458
  • Days Won:  422

At some schools you get fired for making the NIT, at USF you get a bonus.

At some schools, you get fired for just making the NCAA's, at USF you get a bonus.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

I'd rather lose in the "play-in" round of the NCAAs over making the NIT...there's a reason its called the "big dance"

The question was WIN the NIT or LOSE the first round of NCAA.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

Would you rather go to a BCS Bowl or win Beef O'Brady's Bowl?

Revised

not even close to the same. going to bcs bowl is like making the great 8 while winning beefs is like winning 1st round game.

would you rather lose the beef o bradys bowl or win division 2 national championship would be a better comparison.

give me the NIT champ win over losing first round of ncaa anyday.

the difference between a bubble team that gets in at #64 and the one that's left out at #65 is negligible.

tell me Cal Poly fans at 13-19 with a 1st round loss enjoyed their season more than SMU or Minn fans.

One of those rare times we're on the same page ... Cutting down the nets at MSG compared to losing on the same day as teams like Wofford and ULaff. Surprising so many fans here have such a loser attitude in this scenario.

I was surprised as well. there are 2 teams that finish the year with a win.(assuming every team makes their conference tournament) NIT champ and NCAA champ. can't believe anyone would choose to lose over win.

CBI and CIT have garbage tourneys too. Id rather play in the big boy tourney.

Maybe next time we get an invite we should turn it down and try to win the NIT.

Would you rather go to a BCS Bowl or win Beef O'Brady's Bowl?

Revised

not even close to the same. going to bcs bowl is like making the great 8 while winning beefs is like winning 1st round game.

would you rather lose the beef o bradys bowl or win division 2 national championship would be a better comparison.

give me the NIT champ win over losing first round of ncaa anyday.

the difference between a bubble team that gets in at #64 and the one that's left out at #65 is negligible.

tell me Cal Poly fans at 13-19 with a 1st round loss enjoyed their season more than SMU or Minn fans.

One of those rare times we're on the same page ... Cutting down the nets at MSG compared to losing on the same day as teams like Wofford and ULaff. Surprising so many fans here have such a loser attitude in this scenario.

I was surprised as well. there are 2 teams that finish the year with a win.(assuming every team makes their conference tournament) NIT champ and NCAA champ. can't believe anyone would choose to lose over win.

CBI and CIT have garbage tourneys too. Id rather play in the big boy tourney.

Maybe next time we get an invite we should turn it down and try to win the NIT.

You're looking at it from the beginning to the tourney. Look at it from after the end of the season. An NIT trophy and a 5 more win season or a loss in the first round off the NCAA's

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

Because of SMU's specific circumstance this year, I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the NCAA, if I were them. 

Only because many people argued SMU was snubbed from the big tournament.  By winning the NIT, SMU has a solid argument that they would have done really well in the NCAA.  

Which may or may not be true.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

You're looking at it from the beginning to the tourney. Look at it from after the end of the season. An NIT trophy and a 5 more win season or a loss in the first round off the NCAA's

Which is why it's such a fallacious argument. I reject your proposition

The only question that matters is, "would you rather go to the next NCAA or next NIT?"

Edited by charsibb