• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SMU to the NIT finals

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Would you rather go to a BCS Bowl or win Beef O'Brady's Bowl?

Revised

not even close to the same. going to bcs bowl is like making the great 8 while winning beefs is like winning 1st round game.

would you rather lose the beef o bradys bowl or win division 2 national championship would be a better comparison.

give me the NIT champ win over losing first round of ncaa anyday.

the difference between a bubble team that gets in at #64 and the one that's left out at #65 is negligible.

tell me Cal Poly fans at 13-19 with a 1st round 27 point loss enjoyed their season more than SMU or Minn fans.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Revised

not even close to the same. going to bcs bowl is like making the great 8 while winning beefs is like winning 1st round game.

would you rather lose the beef o bradys bowl or win division 2 national championship would be a better comparison.

the difference between a bubble team that gets in at #64 and the one that's left out at #65 is negligible.

tell me Cal Poly fans at 13-19 with a 1st round loss enjoyed their season more than SMU or Minn fans.

One of those rare times we're on the same page ... Cutting down the nets at MSG compared to losing on the same day as teams like Wofford and ULaff. Surprising so many fans here have such a loser attitude in this scenario.

Revised

tell me Cal Poly fans at 13-19 with a 1st round loss enjoyed their season more than SMU or Minn fans.

One of those rare times we're on the same page ... Cutting down the nets at MSG compared to losing on the same day as teams like Wofford and ULaff. Surprising so many fans here have such a loser attitude in this scenario.

I was surprised as well. there are 2 teams that finish the year with a win.(assuming every team makes their conference tournament) NIT champ and NCAA champ. can't believe anyone would choose to lose over win.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

Revised

I was surprised as well. there are 2 teams that finish the year with a win.(assuming every team makes their conference tournament) NIT champ and NCAA champ. can't believe anyone would choose to lose over win.

CBI and CIT have garbage tourneys too. Id rather play in the big boy tourney.

Maybe next time we get an invite we should turn it down and try to win the NIT.

Revised

CBI and CIT have garbage tourneys too. Id rather play in the big boy tourney.

Maybe next time we get an invite we should turn it down and try to win the NIT.

cal poly sure is a big boy. 13-19 team with a 27 point blowout loss does not = big boy

give me SMUs run over cal poly's any day.

fact is the top half of NIT is far better than bottom half of ncaa.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Given that the new coach's contract pays $50K for making the NCAA and $25K for winning the NIT we know what USF believes is important.

Given that the new coach's contract pays $50K for making the NCAA and $25K for winning the NIT we know what USF believes is important.

this year a unit pays $250k a year for 6 years. It's worth $1.5M to the conference to play in one ncaa game.

they pay the same amount per game whether it's a first round loss or a final four win(on a per game basis)

$ is the only consideration when determining that bonus. first round payouts are heavily subsidized by later rounds that pay the same.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

That is interesting ... and probably the way it should be from the administrative point of view. Anything at all for just making the NIT?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

That is interesting ... and probably the way it should be from the administrative point of view. Anything at all for just making the NIT?

I doubt it, no way you should reward a coach for making the NIT.

I would think so. McMurphy reported Woolard got $5k for ladies making NIT. His bonuses match coach bonuses so I imagine the mens coach would get something.

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/448514878412976129