• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Steve Roccaforte as Head Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The USF players have been taking to twitter trying to promote Coach Rocc for Head Coach. At this point I'm starting to think this is the best option, the cheapest, and the safest. I think it's very significant that these USF players are taking to Twitter that they want Coach Rocc guiding them as they like us are following the coaching search very closely and see first hand the failure the coaching search has been. It's interesting these same players wanted Stan Heath fired but are strong in their opinion that Rocc should be the coach. Of course it proves that Heath never listened to Rocc or his other coaches, because no way these players would want much of the same thing.

Roccaforte was a Calipari asst like Orlando Antigua and Derek Kellogg. Why be interested in them for the cost when the cheaper and safer version is already here? Roccaforte will be able to keep the team intact as the most talented players on the team were recruited by him anyway. He also has already built up ties in the state with future prospects which is huge. His preferred style of play is uptempo like these other guys so we wouldn't play Heathball under him. It will be the same style Kellogg and Antigua bring to the table.

I don't believe he even got a look at the position, but it will be interesting what happens if a coach like Neal comes and doesn't keep Rocc. I felt that Rocc would stay if Masiello, White, Kellogg, or Antigua got the job.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Maybe it's just frustration, but I am at that point too. Nobody remaining gets me excited. Give Roc one year. If he succeeds, then great. If he doesn't, we will have a new list of candidates.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I am not totally there yet, but I see your point here.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,328
  • Content Count:  96,946
  • Days Won:  469

Perry and Allen as posted in another thread.

I don't see this scenario as a real possibility.  A desperation move, yes.  Nothing against Rocc, but I don't think you'll see it happen.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Perry and Allen as posted in another thread.

I don't see this scenario as a real possibility.  A desperation move, yes.  Nothing against Rocc, but I don't think you'll see it happen.

Dre Clayton has joined in as well

Like Greg Auman said, players support for him could help Roccaforte stay on as a top assistant. What this tells me is the players are frustrated with this botched coaching search and they want someone they trust and believe in to lead them. Rocc has ties to these guys and the future recruits. I telling you that if Harlan drags old unproven Craig Neal in as head coach and he doesn't keep Rocc, there could be some issues. These players aren't stupid and they have friends and contacts too plus ability to research these coaches. They aren't impressed and that's not good. If I remember correctly some of them were calling Masiello a liar or not trusting him before any of us knew the whole story on why he didn't have the job. Why we were blaming USF, they knew who the real villain was. With that fiasco, these players are in high alert with other candidates and want someone they can trust. They trust Roccaforte

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

can you guys imagine this fan base's blowback on that?

would be circa end of year football debacles / brown paper bag skip holtz threads

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,328
  • Content Count:  96,946
  • Days Won:  469

I follow the players to get a sense of things.  I also understand stand the concept of familiarity and comfort, especially at that age.  I don't get the same feeling.  Perry and Allen were excited about Masiello. 

If we would hire Rocc as HC, then a scenario I suggested days ago could have taken place where Heath was relieved prior to the tourney and they could have given Rocc an interim gig to test the waters.  There did not appear to be interest in that.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

At this point, I don't really care anymore. There aren't any more splash hires left, so give the guy 1 year and see how he does. If he fails, then there might be better candidates to chose from next year compared to this year. If he succeeds, then great.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed if you can't get someone high end give him 1 year to keep the current players and ensure Holston makes it on campus. No good try again next year and don't mess it up.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Zero cares about what they want. You can't let the inmates run the asylum and a good hire will win them over quickly anyways.