• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UL's Masiello Story from L'Ville writer and when did Masiello tell his players?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We're Bulls, our sense of humour has been beaten out of us...

...and apparently replaced with dry British humour? I didn't realise that.

Proof...

http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/95644-usf-theme-song/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

So a guy lies on his resume to USF and it is UL's fault in what way?   I could give a dang if the coach doesn't have a degree and coaches basketball.  Who cares?  This is a Steve Massielo issue how you're shifting it to UL is a joke.  Pitino has known the kid his whole life why wouldn't he believe him he said he graduated?  Oh my GOD UL had hired an assistant coach that lied about having a degree?  The travesty,  Yeah UL could have ran a back ground check sure, which they did as far as the criminal which came back fine I'm sure they are thinking as far as the degree check that's fine to.  Coach P was coaching him and was on track when he left why would he think otherwise?  Any common sense on this board or no?  I always liked the USF fan base.  Definitely a lot better than those fantasy land guys at UCF but, man some of these comments today about UL are a Fn joke man.  He was an assistant at Tulane and head coach at Manhattan I mean I guess we should have hired a $60,000 dollar search firm but, you assume if the coach knew the guy his whole life he wouldn't lie about graduating,

Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein told ESPN.com that when Masiello was hired in 2005, the school conducted criminal background checks, but he wasn't aware if the school verified college degrees. Since 2010, however, Klein said Louisville began more extensive background checks on new hires, which included verifying academic credentials.

Klein said Masiello "would have had opportunity to review the media guide each year and tell us it was wrong." His official bio, which also was posted on the school's website, indicated he graduated from Kentucky. 

Redbird apologist....Your school has little integrity when it comes to athletics...LIVE WITH IT!

You need to learn to ignore people like Nedley Mandingo redbird, he's old, has high blood pressure and hasn't had his weekly enema so he's sporting a raging case of colitis.  I don't see it as a UL problem, mainly because he was an assistant.  The M & M boys have the most egg to wipe off (Masiello and Manhattan).

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Here's the funny thing about all this. The ONLY reason to have a bachelor degree requirement is to keep up the student-athlete facade. How much higher learning does a college coach instill on his recruits? I don't see the degree as necessary in the scheme of things.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

In reading many articles today it is not the facade, but instead setting a good example.

Believing that might depend on how cynical one is. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Yes, he lied on his resume and of course shouldn't get the job. But going back to what's being required to be a great coach, not sure how much of it comes from their college education vs on the job training and knowing how to work with young adults in a positive manner. Has he been fired yet? I mean, what if Manhattan keeps him?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Yes, he lied on his resume and of course shouldn't get the job. But going back to what's being required to be a great coach, not sure how much of it comes from their college education vs on the job training and knowing how to work with young adults in a positive manner. Has he been fired yet? I mean, what if Manhattan keeps him?

You could make that argument for a lot of jobs that require a degree. Warren Buffett isn't technically qualified to be an economics professor at USF. Eric Clapton would be barred from teaching a high school guitar class in Hillsborough County.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's part of the "guild" mentality in academics. Keeping the riffraff out and protecting the job security of the insiders.

We see it all the time in business schools where people with tons of real-world experience and great presentation skills aren't allowed to teach while many who have taken the time to acquire the proper "credentials" have never actually worked in their lives.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

So UCF hires O'Leary after fudging his resume and ends up down the road with a BCS win, something Notre Dame didn't do during the time period. I say screw it, keep the guy.

They bought their plane tickets. They knew what they were getting into... I say, let em crash!

This board needs more "Airplane" quotes.  Thank you sir.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

So UCF hires O'Leary after fudging his resume and ends up down the road with a BCS win, something Notre Dame didn't do during the time period. I say screw it, keep the guy.

They bought their plane tickets. They knew what they were getting into... I say, let em crash!

Looks like our administration picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Looks like our administration picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

You may not have a degree Masiello but have you ever been in a....in a Turkish prison?