• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New group of BB coach candidates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  35
  • Days Won:  0

Ben Howland would be a horrible hire. Did anyone here not read the CNNSI story I references regarding his tenure at UCLA? He is a micro manager and the team had a lot of dissension due to letting certain players bully others, player drug use, etc.

Ben Howland has way too much baggage!!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

This is a bio of Michael White as a player and an assistant at Ole Miss. This is our guy if we are smart enough to get him. White was very impressive before he ever coached at Louisiana Tech.

Former Rebel point guard Michael White has made a name for himself as one of the top assistant coaches in the country as he enters his seventh season coaching at his alma mater.

White has been instrumental in the Rebels' rise to prominence in the Southeastern Conference. He's helped Ole Miss to three postseason berths and a pair of SEC West titles in the last four years, and the Rebel coaching staff has put together 85 wins during that span, just one shy of the school record by a coaching staff in a four-year span.

White was named a finalist for BasketballScoop.com's 2009 Coaches Award, honoring the top assistants in the college game, when he helped Ole Miss to a winning record despite a rash of injuries to key players.

A key figure in the recruiting arena, White has helped Ole Miss haul in some of the best signing classes in program history during his tenure. The incoming class in his first season back was ranked as high as third in college basketball by recruiting publications, while two recent classes have both been rated top 25 in the country.

Working with the Rebel backcourt, he helped Terrico White adjust to the starting point guard role en route to 2009 SEC Freshman of the Year and Freshman All-America accolades. He has also tutored All-SEC guards Clarence Sanders, Todd Abernethy, David Huertas, and most recently, Chris Warren.

A four-year starter at the point himself, Michael White helped captain the Rebels to national prominence in the late 1990s and returned to the program as an assistant coach on June 16, 2004. Playing for the Rebels from 1995-99, he entered the starting lineup in the eighth game of his freshman season and missed only one start at the point the remainder of his four years in Oxford.

Over that span, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound floor general helped guide Ole Miss to one of the most successful stints in the program's history, earning consecutive SEC Western Division titles, three straight NCAA Tournament berths and the Rebels' first ever Tournament win in 1999.

White led the squad in assists all four years and ranks sixth in school history with 370 career dimes. He was a two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection and a member of the 1999 SEC Good Works Team.

White was invited to the NBA's Utah Jazz summer training camp upon completing his college career. He divided the 1999-2000 season playing professionally for the IBL's New Mexico Slam and in England before returning to Ole Miss in the spring of 2000 to complete his B.A. in business.

Before returning to Oxford, he spent four years on Mike LaPlante's Jacksonville State staff, helping coordinate the Gamecocks' recruiting efforts for three seasons. His time in Jacksonville, Ala., included the school's first-ever league tournament victory in 2003 en route to JSU's winningest season in its Division I history. He was promoted to associate head coach prior to his final season there.

Born on March 2, 1977, in Dunedin, Fla., White grew up around college athletics and the great game of basketball. His father, Kevin White, is currently the Athletics Director at Duke University after stints at Notre Dame, Arizona State, Tulane and Maine. Michael's younger brother, Danny, played basketball at Towson and Notre Dame, and is now the Executive Director for the UMAA Foundation. Youngest brother Brian is a senior account executive in the sports properties department at the University of Arkansas.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45

CPA: OK, baggage. Fine. When somebody - like Marquette - hires him and ends up in the Sweet Sixteen, tell me about the baggage again while we struggle along with another rebuilding project under some unproven head coach with no faults. At least we'll be able to apply for sainthood.

Edited by USFDaveG

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

CPA: OK, baggage. Fine. When somebody - like Marquette - hires him and ends up in the Sweet Sixteen, tell me about the baggage again while we struggle along with another rebuilding project under some unproven head coach with no faults. At least we'll be able to apply for sainthood.

LOL

I don't see Howland happening just because Howland was fired at UCLA while Harlan was overseeing MBB over there.  He's taken a team to a Final Four.  He's a good coach. 

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

agreed

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123

Steve Massiello is dead to me.

In no order

1. Mike White

2. Tony Barbee

3. Shaka Smart (probably a lateral move for him) so maybe not here. Marquette or Wake Forest

4. Archie Miller Probably up for big job now

5. Steve Prohm

6. Fill in the blamk

Danny Manning would probably  be a lateral moved to USF so I dont see it

Didn't Archie just sign an extension?  Is it easy to get guys out of their contracts?

I assume USF can upgrade the pay over Dayton, right?

Thx

jonpfl

It's not always about the money. 7 years ago USF almost doubled the pay over Winthrop but couldn't pry Gregg Marshall out of there ...

But wasn't that because our facilities were horrible?

Thx

jonpfl

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Steve Massiello is dead to me.

In no order

1. Mike White

2. Tony Barbee

3. Shaka Smart (probably a lateral move for him) so maybe not here. Marquette or Wake Forest

4. Archie Miller Probably up for big job now

5. Steve Prohm

6. Fill in the blamk

Danny Manning would probably  be a lateral moved to USF so I dont see it

Didn't Archie just sign an extension?  Is it easy to get guys out of their contracts?

I assume USF can upgrade the pay over Dayton, right?

Thx

jonpfl

It's not always about the money. 7 years ago USF almost doubled the pay over Winthrop but couldn't pry Gregg Marshall out of there ...

But wasn't that because our facilities were horrible?

Thx

jonpfl

We can assume it was that and maybe the lack of focus on bb here .... which means that it's not always about the money.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I was hoping this wouldn't start:

@Corey_Allen4: I want Coach Rocc to take over the coaching job here at USF

@SKIPPYWALNUTS: @Corey_Allen4 PREACH

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Oh boy .... although, would he be that bad of a choice .... kind of late for that, though.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123

Who is Coach Rocc?

Thx

jonpfl