• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New group of BB coach candidates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Not sure why Amaker's name isn't getting tossed around. Don't think he'd come here, but much more likely than Smart.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123
  • Days Won:  0

Steve Massiello is dead to me.

In no order

1. Mike White

2. Tony Barbee

3. Shaka Smart (probably a lateral move for him) so maybe not here. Marquette or Wake Forest

4. Archie Miller Probably up for big job now

5. Steve Prohm

6. Fill in the blamk

Danny Manning would probably  be a lateral moved to USF so I dont see it

Didn't Archie just sign an extension?  Is it easy to get guys out of their contracts?

I assume USF can upgrade the pay over Dayton, right?

Thx

jonpfl

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

I have a hard time calling Masiello a "splash hire".  He is a former Pitino assistant that was doing a good job at a MAAC school.   That's not a splash hire, that's a hire in hopes that he can traslate that success into a bigger school in a better conference.    I think it was a good choice, but USF is clearly not going for the big hire here.    

I agree that there's no way you could call him a "splash hire". He may have been a great hire as things played out but I don't think it would have given the immediate shot in the arm, from a publicity perspective, a Pearl/possibly Williams would have ... Howland is still out there if we want to switch to a kind of splash hire, but who knows the relationship between he and Harlan.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I don't see Archie is leaving anytime soon considering he just signed his extension.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

It's Mike White or we're in trouble. I do not want Orlando Antigua, Ben Howland, John Pelphrey, or a Mercer coach. USF needs Mike White like they should have done the 1st time. I don't understand how White wouldn't be your top candidate after you found out you couldn't make a splash hire. Btw anybody calling Masiello a "splash hire" is/was a **** fool. At best he's in the group with White and Manning, but a splash hire is Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams. Masiello certainly hasn't proved to be that group.

I see where one of my friends favors Masiello's recruiting over Mike White's recruiting because Masiello recruited top 10-25 classes to UL and White recruited top 25 classes to Ole Miss. I mean which is more impressive? Masiello selling recruits to play for Rick Pitino at UL in the Big East, or White selling recruits to play for Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss in the SEC? The answer is an easy one.

I'm very disappointed in Harlan so far and if White isn't our next Head Coach then Harlan doesn't have the eye for finding coaches like we thought he did and maybe he is no more then an Associated AD, not the AD. Maybe raising money at a power school was all he was good far.

We need for FSU to beat La Tech so Harlan and USF don't screw us up. White's team beat FSU the last time the 2 played and we can't have a repeat of that. Mike White must become available asap or else. USF needs to be in Tallahassee with contract in hand to get White on board before someone else does. Mike is not going to last long at La Tech.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Seeing Shaka Smart listed as a realistic candidate, and seeing Masiello referred to as a "splash hire", is kind of unbelievable.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

One more thing before I head back to work. USF wanted a young and energetic coach that plays an exciting brand of basketball and went way up North to try and get one. Meanwhile there is a southern boy who is young and energetic and plays an exciting brand of ball a lot closer to home. If you think Masiello teams press you, Mike White's team take it to a level or 2 above that. I will take him a year to get his type of players in, but he will and he will win BIG at USF and not be so entice to head back up north after doing so.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

Steve Massiello is dead to me.

In no order

1. Mike White

2. Tony Barbee

3. Shaka Smart (probably a lateral move for him) so maybe not here. Marquette or Wake Forest

4. Archie Miller Probably up for big job now

5. Steve Prohm

6. Fill in the blamk

Danny Manning would probably  be a lateral moved to USF so I dont see it

Didn't Archie just sign an extension?  Is it easy to get guys out of their contracts?

I assume USF can upgrade the pay over Dayton, right?

Thx

jonpfl

It's not always about the money. 7 years ago USF almost doubled the pay over Winthrop but couldn't pry Gregg Marshall out of there ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Seeing Shaka Smart listed as a realistic candidate, and seeing Masiello referred to as a "splash hire", is kind of unbelievable.

People have their opinions.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

I still don't see why Ben Howland isn't the best possible hire. Let's assume there is no issue with him and Harlan. Somebody explain to me why you wouldn't make a huge run at him? The rap on him is he doesn't play a flashy enough style? If his team has more points on the scoreboard at :00 that's plenty flashy for me. The guy has a track record of consistent success. Now you're all gonna tell me why I'm wrong. I get it. But who'd be unhappy with Ben Howland at USF. Be honest.