• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New group of BB coach candidates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

If it wasn't going to be a "splash" hire, then they should have given Stan Heath one more year - especially since he was still under contract. If they were concerned about dwindling fan interest and attendance, they're not going to make any impact there next season by hiring a career assistant (Antigua), a head coach from a mid/low-major (White, Tyndall, etc.) or a retread (Pelphrey).

Great Post!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If it wasn't going to be a "splash" hire, then they should have given Stan Heath one more year - especially since he was still under contract. If they were concerned about dwindling fan interest and attendance, they're not going to make any impact there next season by hiring a career assistant (Antigua), a head coach from a mid/low-major (White, Tyndall, etc.) or a retread (Pelphrey).

Great Post!

Except that we had good recruits last year and supposedly even better recruits this year. If we're going to make a change in direction, the time is now. Next year is no better known than this one.

Guest PCBull14

Oh really. Who in the hell is going to leave a big job to come here? This job can be elite but it is going to take the right guy to do it. Splash hire's lead to you Skip Holtz hires. Taggart was not a splash hire he was the right hire and that is what the admin will look for in basketball.

White would be a great hire for this program. Sustained success is what we need. Look at the Oregon State women's program. They hired a guy from a lower division program and he is working magic. If you can coach I could care less what level it is at. No splash hires make the right hire Harlan. Ohio State did it with sweater vest; if you can coach you can coach.

Heath had to go, yea let’s play him a years’ worth of salary for another crappy season or we can get rid of him for about the same amount.  Right decision made to drop the axe.

Edited by PCBull14

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I have a hard time calling Masiello a "splash hire".  He is a former Pitino assistant that was doing a good job at a MAAC school.   That's not a splash hire, that's a hire in hopes that he can traslate that success into a bigger school in a better conference.    I think it was a good choice, but USF is clearly not going for the big hire here.    

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

From Joey Knight at the Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/successors-to-stan-some-possible-targets-for-usf-job/2170240

Orlando Antigua (Kentucky assistant)
Quite possibly your front-runner now. We hear those involved in this search would be very pleased to wind up with Antigua, the behind-the-scenes catalyst of the Wildcats' astounding recent run of recruiting success. A Pitt and Harlem Globetrotters alumnus, Antigua was named by ESPN.com as the nation's top assistant under age 40 a couple of years back. Check out his Wikipedia page; his backstory's pretty astounding.

Shaka Smart (Virginia Commonwealth coach)
The home-run hire, but we're not sure if the Bulls will even take a swing at Smart.

Ben Howland (former Pitt, UCLA coach)
Howland worked with new Bulls AD Mark Harlan at UCLA, where he led Bruins to three Final Fours, but is being linked to higher-profile gigs. His current relationship to Harlan also is uncertain; Harlan oversaw Bruins hoops when UCLA dismissed Howland.

Michael White (Louisiana Tech coach)
Born in Dunedin but reared all over the South, White has amassed a 74-30 record and three consecutive NIT trips in three seasons with the Bulldogs. A four-year starting guard at Ole Miss in the late 90s, he led the Rebels to three consecutive NCAA tourneys. If the Bulls decide they want White, they'd better hurry.

Craig Neal (New Mexico coach)
In his first year as Lobos coach, Neal led UNM to a 27-7 record and NCAA berth. A former all-ACC guard at Georgia Tech in the 80s, "Noodles" (as he is universally known) would be endorsed by UCLA coach (and Harlan friend) Steve Alford

Jeff Neubauer (Eastern Kentucky coach)
A John Beilein disciple and Gainesville native, Neubauer has led EKU to four 20-win seasons and a berth in this year's NCAA tourney, where it fell to Kansas in the second round.

John Pelphrey (Florida assistant)
As a head coach, Billy Donovan's veteran right-hand man led South Alabama, Arkansas to NCAAs. The Gators face UCLA in their fourth consecutive Sweet 16 appearance Thursday night

Donnie Tyndall (Southern Miss coach)
Affordable and respected, Tyndall has done wonders in Hattiesburg (56 wins in two seasons) and, before that, at Morehead State (two NCAA berths). But his current boss is Bill McGillis, Doug Woolard's former right-hand man at USF. Could McGillis, whose football team already is abysmal, also afford to let Tyndall slip away to USF?

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I've listed mine in order of significance below:

1. Bruce Pearl

2. Buzz Williams

31. Michael White

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Musselman will be a great hire for someone. And when he is you guys can say DELdaBULL put you on.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Forgot about Amakker he is my 2nd Choice

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Masiello would have been a splash hire. His connections, his recent record, his recruiting ability would have made him a top notch coach. Heath didn't have the references Masiello came with. I'm on the White bandwagon now. 

Masiello would have been a splash hire. His connections, his recent record, his recruiting ability would have made him a top notch coach. Heath didn't have the references Masiello came with. I'm on the White bandwagon now. 

I'm kinda sorta on the White bandwagon, mainly because he's good enough for Vega, and I kinda sorta trust Vega's opinion. But my mind's still open.

White's my #1.

Until further notice.

Racists!  :D