• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is tiring

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Nope. Dates of attendance, but not degree. I edited in the link.

You are wrong. It is in the statute. I quoted it directly.

Then copy and paste it here

"(A) For the purposes of this section the term “directory information†relating to a student includes the following: the student’s name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student."

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Who, exactly, is entitled to this info? Anybody who asks?

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

"(A) For the purposes of this section the term “directory information†relating to a student includes the following: the student’s name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student."

Gray area - school is supposed to give notice before "publishing" but often there are blanket things you are provided and supposed to read but don't (think software T&C). In practice, as others noted in one of the other thread, it is fairly common practice for a university to confirm that a student graduated from that institution.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Gray area - school is supposed to give notice before "publishing" but often there are blanket things you are provided and supposed to read but don't (think software T&C). In practice, as others noted in one of the other thread, it is fairly common practice for a university to confirm that a student graduated from that institution.

Thanks.

I cleave to a stricter interpretation, but then in my position it's far better to be safe than sorry.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

You old-timers need to give it a rest. If you can't understand why anyone would assume USF botched something in this, then congratulations on your undying loyalty. But some of us with newer graduation dates have been ground down with high expectations and success and then plunged into a swamp of athletic despair. You've been there before; many of us haven't. And while some were irrational and over-entitled, some others were reasonably patient and supportive. Yet there's only so many punches a fan can take before a culture of apathy and even perceived incompetence sets in. Even some of the tried and true diehards on here have expressed such feelings (looking at you, Bulliever, Trip, and even ET). And now you want to jump on our cases for assuming USF mishandled this hire after they've mishandled so much? Come on.

I own up that I wrongly assumed we botched this. And that was wrong, and I now buy back a little into my alma mater's ability to run a major athletic program. Now will you please cut me and others a break?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I have no problem with what usf did...he lied about a degree.

Now if this was because of something small like he yelled at a player I would be pissed.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

For those who claim to be USF fans, you guys are sure quick to jump on USF about anything.

Some in the USF blogosphere have decided to make it a lifestyle decision to bash USF.....

Edited by CyberBull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

You old-timers need to give it a rest. If you can't understand why anyone would assume USF botched something in this, then congratulations on your undying loyalty. But some of us with newer graduation dates have been ground down with high expectations and success and then plunged into a swamp of athletic despair. You've been there before; many of us haven't. And while some were irrational and over-entitled, some others were reasonably patient and supportive. Yet there's only so many punches a fan can take before a culture of apathy and even perceived incompetence sets in. Even some of the tried and true diehards on here have expressed such feelings (looking at you, Bulliever, Trip, and even ET). And now you want to jump on our cases for assuming USF mishandled this hire after they've mishandled so much? Come on.

I own up that I wrongly assumed we botched this. And that was wrong, and I now buy back a little into my alma mater's ability to run a major athletic program. Now will you please cut me and others a break?

I'm as battered, tired and worn out over the last 3-4 years as anyone (and decades of despair before relatively recent successes), but I try to cast a fair eye on each situation. This one did not add up as a USF goof. Those trying to force that reveal their true intentions or they're just not reading the facts (maybe lacking some experience?).

I have been highly critical over the last few years, but I'd like to think I haven't piled on when the situation didn't warrant.

We're all tired if not desperate. Emotions get raw and things happen. We owe it to ourselves and our school to not pile on in the thoughtless bashfests others perpetuate. Even if it means we get called "true fans" or something worse.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

Reading the paragraph following that, it looks to me like the individual institutions decide what they deem "directory information", correct? So there could be institutions that don't include degrees as part of readily available info, which could explain why the page JT linked to didn't include them in the description.

(B) Any educational agency or institution making public directory information shall give public notice of the categories of information which it has designated as such information with respect to each student attending the institution or agency and shall allow a reasonable period of time after such notice has been given for a parent to inform the institution or agency that any or all of the information designated should not be released without the parent’s prior consent

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/20/1232g

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Reading the paragraph following that, it looks to me like the individual institutions decide what they deem "directory information", correct? So there could be institutions that don't include degrees as part of readily available info, which could explain why the page JT linked to didn't include them in the description.

Yes, my understanding is that each individual school determines what directory information they will release.  As several others have noted in other threads, most universities will confirm whether a student has received a degree, given that it is explicitly permitted by the statute.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

Yes, my understanding is that each individual school determines what directory information they will release.  As several others have noted in other threads, most universities will confirm whether a student has received a degree, given that it is explicitly permitted by the statute.

But even though it's explicitly permitted, the institution has to publicize exactly what categories they will release without prior consent to give parents/students a chance to notify them that they don't want it released. Any idea how and how often that's don?