• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

This is tiring

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

A little bit cleaner? By whom?

The dirt came from an unauthorized leaker.

Everything would have been clean in the end if everyone would have kept their mouths shut until; the process was over and they were authorized to speak.

Instead, somebody jumped the gun. THAT's the person to blame. Whoever it was.

If I were running the show (whoever that is at this point - which is not clear to me), my first step after identifying a list of interested people would have been to conduct some very basic steps to vet that person.  This happens ALL THE TIME in sports and other professional fields.  It appears that none of that was done until after USF had already gotten to the last possible second - on the verge of a public announcement according to Joey Knight.  I have no clue who was (directly) responsible for doing that, if anyone.  I agree with everyone above's implication that this is ultimately Masiello's fault, not USF's, but we nonetheless come out of this whole debacle way worse off and I think at least some portion of it might have been avoidable even if USF isn't really the party in the wrong.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

Everything would have been clean in the end if everyone would have kept their mouths shut until; the process was over and they were authorized to speak.

If I were running the show (whoever that is at this point - which is not clear to me), my first step after identifying a list of interested people would have been to conduct some very basic steps to vet that person.  This happens ALL THE TIME in sports and other professional fields.  It appears that none of that was done until after USF had already gotten to the last possible second - on the verge of a public announcement according to Joey Knight.  I have no clue who was (directly) responsible for doing that, if anyone.  I agree with everyone above's implication that this is ultimately Masiello's fault, not USF's, but we nonetheless come out of this whole debacle way worse off and I think at least some portion of it might have been avoidable even if USF isn't really the party in the wrong.

I don't follow all the national talking heads but those who do have said we haven't come off as bad in all this so I'm not sure where you think we're coming out way worse off in this debacle. The only place we're worse off is that we don't have a promising young coach coming to us and there's absolutely nothing USF could have done about that to avoid it.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I don't follow all the national talking heads but those who do have said we haven't come off as bad in all this so I'm not sure where you think we're coming out way worse off in this debacle. The only place we're worse off is that we don't have a promising young coach coming to us and there's absolutely nothing USF could have done about that to avoid it.

From the talking heads I've read, I've noticed the opposite:

That USF was able to find what other universities have missed.  And how did the others miss it? And that USF saved itself embarrasment if the truth would have come out later on.

WWMJD, care to share where in the media it has made USF "way worse off"?

Edited by dogma

I don't mean that anyone blames us.  I just don't think it's a positive to be embroiled with this story, even though I agree that virtually everyone - both inside and outside of the fanbase - totally understands that we did what had to be done.  But this is time and energy that could have been better used elsewhere (like finding a competent, honest coach).  I am not sure if I can agree with spinning this as a positive ("good job USF" - totally serious, from another thread) or saying that there is nothing we could have done about it to avoid the spectacle, because i think some basic steps on the front end might have avoided some of this.

Some people (not you) have basically said that even with the benefit of hindsight, they wouldn't have done anything different.  It might not be fair to rant about how incompetent our administration is with the benefit of hindsight, but I also think it's kind of foolish to basically take the position that we shouldn't be taking any steps to avoid this type of thing.  (Put simply, with the next hire, will we do some VERY basic vetting before you make your selection?  I hope so.)

I don't mean that anyone blames us.  I just don't think it's a positive to be embroiled with this story, even though I agree that virtually everyone - both inside and outside of the fanbase - totally understands that we did what had to be done.  But this is time and energy that could have been better used elsewhere (like finding a competent, honest coach).  I am not sure if I can agree with spinning this as a positive ("good job USF" - totally serious, from another thread) or saying that there is nothing we could have done about it to avoid the spectacle, because i think some basic steps on the front end might have avoided some of this.

Some people (not you) have basically said that even with the benefit of hindsight, they wouldn't have done anything different.  It might not be fair to rant about how incompetent our administration is with the benefit of hindsight, but I also think it's kind of foolish to basically take the position that we shouldn't be taking any steps to avoid this type of thing.  (Put simply, with the next hire, will we do some VERY basic vetting before you make your selection?  I hope so.)

If I understand things correctly, the way we went about this was the SOP for these type hires. The info from UK couldn't be obtained until permission from SM was given. That permission is usually not given until everything else is worked out and is usually a mere formality. For the next applicant, maybe they'll rearrange things in light of being burnt but I don't think there was any indication that SOP didn't need to be followed .... What does need to be done is for Harlan to find out, in any way possible, where the leaks are coming from and send somebody packing. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If I understand things correctly, the way we went about this was the SOP for these type hires. The info from UK couldn't be obtained until permission from SM was given. That permission is usually not given until everything else is worked out and is usually a mere formality. For the next applicant, maybe they'll rearrange things in light of being burnt but I don't think there was any indication that SOP didn't need to be followed .... What does need to be done is for Harlan to find out, in any way possible, where the leaks are coming from and send somebody packing. 

Agree with you & charsibb on that, he has to be pretty steamed that it got out early.

My understanding is that you can verify basic information (including dates of attendance and graduation) without violating privacy laws.

Not vetting a candidate like this might be SOP at USF, but maybe it shouldn't be? 

My understanding is that you can verify basic information (including dates of attendance and graduation) without violating privacy laws.

Not vetting a candidate like this might be SOP at USF, but maybe it shouldn't be? 

My understanding is that all can be obtained is if someone went there, nothing more .... I know this has been hashed over somewhere in this mess today so maybe someone with actual verifiable knowledge can weigh in.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think USF could have handled the situation any better in all honesty.    Hirings for new coaches get leaked out nearly 100% of the time in every sport.   It's just how it works.  The news outlets know that lots of people read the articles about schools hiring new coaches.  The schools don't mind it getting leaked because 99.8% of the time the backround check goes through no problem.   USF just happened to fall into that .2% this time.     In the whole scheme of things it's not that big of a deal.  There are plenty of other good coaches out there who would like a million dollar paycheck and brand new facilities.     Manhattan though should be flaming pissed.   They have a bachelors degree requirement as well, and now their school looks like a joke.   It's just crazy to me that a D1 school didn't even bother to check to make sure he had his degree.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Usf did well and did everything on the up and up. Yes they have leaks in the AD but who doesn't? Anybody who disagrees have probaby never owned or managed a business. Faith restored now go get someone else.