• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

It's just Spring but still nice to read

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

USF Bulls offense perks up in spring drills

Joey Knight, Times Staff Writer

TAMPA — The cynical sort could've attached a disclaimer to every USF offensive highlight from Saturday's mini-scrimmage at the Morsani Practice Complex.

Consider second-year quarterback Mike White's early precision, which included a stretch when he went 5-for-6 for 159 yards and a touchdown. But it was just a scrimmage.

Or two Chris Dunkley end-around runs that totaled 16 yards and a TD. Let's see how that works against Wisconsin.

Or runs by Michael Pierre and inconspicuous fullback Kennard Swanson that produced gains of 15, 10, 9 and 7 yards early on.But the defensive front is a work in progress.

All valid rebuttals to be sure. At this phase, the renovated Bulls offense has performed against exactly no one with whom it doesn't share a team meal. Yet after 11 spring practices, one argument holds up firmly against the fiercest cross-examination:
This offense still possesses more sleekness, strength, even swagger than the one that imploded in the 2013 season opener six months ago.

"I would say we're definitely night-and-day more comfortable," White said.

Not convinced? Consider this statement from defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan — whose personal pride is affixed to his unit's physicality — after the sixth spring practice.

"Right now, we're getting out-physicaled by our offense," he said.

Out-physicaled by our offense. Last fall, you would've been more likely to hear U2 would play the Sun Dome. Inferior up front, inept in the red zone and indecisive nearly everywhere else, USF (2-10) finished last in Division I-A with 11 offensive TDs.

Its 255.5 yards per game ranked 121st of 123 Division I-A schools.

So how do the Bulls explain this apparent transformation? Recruiting? Not really. Only six members of USF's nationally hailed 2014 signing class are on campus this spring, and only one of those —tight end Marlon Pope — is an offensive player.

They insist it's simpler than that: They've just hunkered down in the weight room and film room.

"If I had to go by scrimmages and complete practices, I'd say the offense is ahead (of the defense) right now," coach Willie Taggart said after Saturday's practice.

"The guys are just comfortable. We've got some new guys in there on defense, but offensively the guys are comfortable. They're bigger, they're stronger and they know where they're going."

Up front, the average weight of USF's five returning starters has increased from 297 to 310 pounds, affording White time to drop back and even check down when necessary. Top returning receiver Andre Davis (49 catches, 735 yards) has been, well, Andre Davis.

Tight end Sean Price, whose 35-yard catch over the middle set up the offense's first TD Saturday, has dropped roughly 10 pounds (to 245) and is evolving into a steady weapon. Wideout Rodney Adams, a Toledo transfer, has added another vertical dimension.

The holdover tailbacks, who have heard speculation since signing day they'll be supplanted by freshmen this fall, are running with purpose. And based on the eye test, the fresh wrinkles and brisk tempo brought in by new offensive coordinator Paul Wulff have been embraced.

"Coach Wulff's come in and they're playing with a tempo, they're playing with an attitude and they've kind of developed an identity," Bresnahan said.

Sure beats an identity crisis.

"We go out there, we know exactly what we're doing. We don't have to line up and think, "Oh wait, what's the play? Is there a kill?' " White said. "We get to go out there and we get to just play football like we've been doing, like we did in order to get us here."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-bulls-offense-perks-up-in-spring-drills/2171675

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Good to read. I'm going to make the effort to rekindle the dead flame of interest in football. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me six or seven times...!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm sure hoping it's the case that the offense has gotten better, rather than the defense has gotten worse...

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm sure hoping it's the case that the offense has gotten better, rather than the defense has gotten worse...

Go Bulls!

This.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

:GoBulls:  :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I want to see them in the endzone during the regular season

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I want to see them in the endzone during the regular season

Could you be more specific?  I know safeties weren't a big part of our offense, but the offense getting the defense into the endzone was quite proficient.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

"We get to go out there and we get to just play football like we've been doing, like we did in order to get us here."

Anyone else think, "NOOOoooooo!" :blink:

I like the article, resisting the urge to read too much into it, though. I can relate to Joey's initial comebacks for the successes, but I WANT to believe in our O too.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed taken with a grain of salt. But I tend to be optimistic and hope for the best out of our football team. Realistically it is a 3 year process to getting to 8+ win seasons. I think CWT will pull it off but the strength and conditioning are a huge part of that and will take time unless you use steroids. We have the right philosophies in place and hopefully things are coming along. Would love to see our boys make a bowl game this year. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I am taking this with a grain of salt like everyone else but there are two things that I took away from this article.

1. The O-Line bulking up an average of 13 pounds each is a VERY good sign.  IMO the O-Line was the biggest weakness on this team last year.  Calling it swiss cheese in 2013 would be an insult to swiss cheese.   Game after game whoever was playing QB was having to scramble for their life, and when you have an offense with a limited number of weapons and a true freshman QB, that is always going to spell disaster.  There were a few times last year, mainly in the Houston and UCF games that when White actually had some time in the pocket he was throwing some accurate and crisp passes but, the weak O-Line just never allowed the offense to get into a groove.  On top of that believe it or not we actually ranked lower in the country in terms of rushing yards (118th) then we did passing yards (108th).  Even pass heavy teams like Louisville, UCF, and Houston were rushing for 140 yards per game while USF was at a measly 88.  The good news is that last year Tice was able to average 4.0 yards per carry and Shaw was able to get 4.9.  Hopefully with an improved Line and more experience for Tice he can get that average to atleast 4.5, while someone else steps up as well.

2. It sounds like the current players are feeling the pressure of that massive recruiting class Taggart pulled in.   This is where Taggart's decision last year to bench older players who were not playing hard or were just not playing at a high level in favor of freshman is going to pay off.  These guys know that there will be alot of fresh blood coming in hungry to take their spots, and unlike Holtz, Taggart will give them those spots if the older guys don't play better.    Sean Price is a good example.   The Bulls have 3 Tight Ends coming in this year, 1 experience JC in Pope, and 2 solid 3 star recruits.  If he doesn't step up then he will be riding the bench.   I am just glad to hear that there is a sense of urgency this year.