• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Why are many of you so skeptical of USF's ability to hire a good coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Shea,

Stan was fired from Arkansas

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Parts of Tampa practically are the Bronx without the public transportation.

LOL

You've obviously never been to the Bronx.

It appears that you haven't been in the parts of Tampa that he's referring to!

Which parts are those?

West Tampa.

If you think West Tampa is anything like the Bronx, you need to travel a little more.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Shea,

Didn't remember that, thought we hired him away.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Shea,

No, we grabbed him from the unemployment line.  USF was very good to him following Arkansas.  7 years is a solid run for any D1 coach.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,217
  • Days Won:  422

Shea,

No, we grabbed him from the unemployment line.  USF was very good to him following Arkansas.  7 years is a solid run for any D1 coach.

And he was good to us, ending what was becoming a very uncomfortable search for Mac's replacement and then giving us the best year in the history of USF college basketball. Hopefully we both land on our feet ...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Shea,

No, we grabbed him from the unemployment line. USF was very good to him following Arkansas. 7 years is a solid run for any D1 coach.

And he was good to us, ending what was becoming a very uncomfortable search for Mac's replacement and then giving us the best year in the history of USF college basketball. Hopefully we both land on our feet ...

Well puy BBB

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  99
  • Days Won:  0

I've seen quite a few posts questioning USF's ability to find a successful successor to Stan Heath. And quite frankly, I do not get it. You look at a our last 3 hires, and initially, they all looked pretty **** good.

Stan Heath was hired after 2 years of NCAAT appearences, something USF fans still dream of, and also a successful assistant stint with MSU. While clearly he did not succeed at USF, back in 2007, this looked like a quality hire.

Skip Holtz camein after 2 conference championships and 4 straight bowl appearances. I'll be honest, just about everyone around here was ecstatic with this hire. In 2009, this looked like a fantastic hire.

Willie Taggart, probably looks like our worst hire so far since McCollum. Decent success in the Sun Belt, but so far, the program seems like it has the potential to turn it around.

And, looking at the list USF is compiling, with Steve Masiello looking to be leading. I think USF will make a good decision in the end.

I agree with you on Heath, Holtz, and Taggert. Many prefer to play Monday morning QB then state this as the last 5 years have been disappointing.

As for having confidence in USF and the AAC to land a good hire, I believe the ultimate issue is our conference. With the demise of the BE, the AAC and new BE will decline as a destination conference to coach in. You are already starting to see this with Pearl and Williams. Heath probably wishes he stayed at Arkansaw. Masiello is probably a perfect hire for USF, young and good pedigree just like Taggart, but I believe USF's biggest challenge to landing him is whether or not he believes he can have another good year or two at Manhattan and land a job in AAC, Big Ten or SEC. I don't believe USF is as desirable as some think.

This is exactly it.  Before USF was on the upswing and seemed like a place that could really take off. We were starting to get some national attention and things were looking like we just needed a bump in order to make the next big step.  Then we hired the schmuck Holtz and everything went down the toilet.  We went to a crappy conference that we will be trying to dig ourselves out of for years if not longer.  Now we're just another mid level school at rock bottom.   

Hopefully Taggart can bring us back to the upward trend. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not skeptical of USF being able to hire a good coach at all.   

Holtz was a huge failure but alot of factors went into that.  For one USF wanted to hire someone that was the complete opposite of Leavitt, which is exactly what Holtz was.  Holtz also had just won 2 C-USA titles, so USF tried to hit a home run and get a guy that could bring a squeeky clean program as well as conference titles and it failed miserably.  Holtz was never able to ramp up the intensity, when it needed to happen, so when things went bad, they went REALLY bad.

Heath was an average hire.   On the plus side he was a very good recruiter and he gave us the best season USF had ever had.  On the other hand he was never able to get the offense rolling and just was not a good X's and O's guy.   Overall though Heath wasn't a total failure.   He was buried in a monsterous Big East that the Bulls were never going to even have a shot at winning, so he did the best with what he could.  I do think it was time for a change, but I don't think of Coach Heath in the same way I think of Holtz.

Taggart so far in my opinion was a great hire.   Yes they went 2-10 last year, but in college football 9 out 10 times the 1st year of a new coach is just a reflection on the previous coach (See Holtzes first year, looked exactly like a Leavitt year).   At the start of last year the team was pathetic, losing to McNeese St. by 30, but in the last 5 games look what we did.  We played Houston extremely tough on the road (on a Thursday),  Played very good defense against a good SMU offense, and were 2 minutes away from beating the Fiesta Bowl winning UCF on the road.    It didn't show it in the record but this team (specifically the defense) improved alot during last last.   

Now he just pulled in a recruiting class that blew the rest of the AAC's out of the water.  Just to put in in perspective in 2014 Taggart pulled in 2 Four-Stars and 22 Three-Stars.  In 2010,2011, and 2012 combined Holtz pulled in 3 Four-Stars and 30 3 Stars, not to mention that he has the "Auto-BCS Conference" as leverage.   Taggart is doing a great job so far.  The program was a dumpster fire that BJ Daniels was carrying.  Once he went down / graduated the true nature of the team came out.