• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If hired, huge numbers (relatively speaking, of course) of our fan base will be just waiting to pounce with "told you so" and looking at every moment to devalue any possible achievement. With this self-mutilating fan base, we need someone less divisive.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Endorsed by Pitino, Billy D and wagers ... Familiar with Florida recruiting (which some think is apparently more important than coaching). If hired should certainly be given a chance to see how it works ... 

certainly will be given the chance, but I have a feeling the fan base will take a wait and see approach.  May be a decent basketball coach, but is not going to be the kind of guy to energize the fan base.  

The fan base would have been energized, to the degree that a USF fan base can be, by Pearl, Buzz, Massiello.  I think Harlan is smart enough to understand that.  he is a fund raiser and marketing guy.  A big part of what he is going to be selling is the coach he brings in.  My guess is that is why Massiello was his first choice.  Look for a similar personality.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

If hired, huge numbers (relatively speaking, of course) of our fan base will be just waiting to pounce with "told you so" and looking at every moment to devalue any possible achievement. With this self-mutilating fan base, we need someone less divisive.

You are completely accurate .... but I really don't give a crap about dividing a self-mutilating fan base. I care about getting to the next level for the basketball program. If Pelphrey's chosen, he'll get a chance to get us there, over and above the caterwauling of a portion of the fanbase. If he can't get us there, there will ALWAYS be somebody else willing to give it a try.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

You are completely accurate .... but I really don't give a crap about dividing a self-mutilating fan base. I care about getting to the next level for the basketball program. If Pelphrey's chosen, he'll get a chance to get us there, over and above the caterwauling of a portion of the fanbase. If he can't get us there, there will ALWAYS be somebody else willing to give it a try.

Ahhh, in the perpetual state of; "There's always next year".  It's really called the the Pollyanna Principle.

Ahhh, in the perpetual state of; "There's always next year".  It's really called the the Pollyanna Principle.

It's called the Reality Principle. If it doesn't get done this year, next year is all you have ...

It's called the Reality Principle. If it doesn't get done this year, next year is all you have ...

Yes, but the self-mutilators will say if it doesn;t get done this year cut it off and shut it down...

Yes, but the self-mutilators will say if it doesn;t get done this year cut it off and shut it down...

Hopefully those self mutilators will cut it off ...... Oh, did you mean the basketball program?

Hmmm.. Self-curing disease. On a generational level...

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

Is the 'no' on Pelphrey because he is a Gator assistant or is it because of directly watching his coaching tactics at Arkansas or S. Alabama?

My feeling is that we have some good pieces, but need X's and O's AND the ability to tap into this top level Florida talent. Yes, I have always maintained that Florida has good basketball talent despite it being primarily a football first state. Just check out how well the Florida teams do in these big Christmas holiday tournaments each year.

I also like White of La Tech, but not sure I want a guy who will jump to Ole Miss due to it being his alma mater.

My perfect scenario would be USF to get Pelphrey as a head coach and then add alumnus Tommy Tonelli as an assistant. Plus add another stud recruiter. You bring some alumni back and then get all the X's and O's you need.

Endorsed by Pitino, Billy D and wagers ... Familiar with Florida recruiting (which some think is apparently more important than coaching). If hired should certainly be given a chance to see how it works ... 

certainly will be given the chance, but I have a feeling the fan base will take a wait and see approach.  May be a decent basketball coach, but is not going to be the kind of guy to energize the fan base.  

The fan base would have been energized, to the degree that a USF fan base can be, by Pearl, Buzz, Massiello.  I think Harlan is smart enough to understand that.  he is a fund raiser and marketing guy.  A big part of what he is going to be selling is the coach he brings in.  My guess is that is why Massiello was his first choice.  Look for a similar personality.

While I think Massiello was a great choice, I'm not sure the fanbase would have been near as energized as with Pearl or Buzz, just on name alone .... Maybe more correctly, I think the current fanbase would have been energized but I don't see a big additional surge based on that hire. I think that would have to come with sustained winning. Of course, I could be underestimating the non-hardcore fans but nothing's been shown for me to alter that opinion.