• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Timing Problems?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Sorry, just a frustration post:

We had for freaking ever to get Doug out of the way.  This decision to have him just hang around another year and a half could have been made and done months ago - long before the end of the NCAA season.  What's another few extra months of pay for Doug in his new role with Judy?

Then we fire Heath at the end of the tournament.  Was that a kneejerk reaction born of the late, mis-timed AD hiring?  Judy doing the dirty work for Harlan?  I don't know.  But ending the season on an ugly skid afforded many opportunities if we had a plan and goal in sight to relieve Heath and be active in the hiring process/search firm stuff earlier.  We could have let an assistant finish that mess and been out on the road finding the new HC, but we were still busy with the Doug problem and finding an AD.

Is this all spur of the moment stuff from our University?  Any strategic thought employed?

Why the timing on Doug's departure?  Not competent enough to find the next MBB coach?  If he was fired, then fire him EARLIER.  If he is still going to get paid, why change ADs so late and during such a crucial time?  The soft touch and dealing with issues late created the problems we have right now.

It seems pretty clear to me the Heath decision was a late decision.  That kind of late thinking, late action has put us in this position. 

The timing on Doug's announcement started this mess.  It could have been done in a less important window, especially if it had even been contemplated that Heath was not working out.

From the outside, it does look like a mess.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Fair post; frustration shared.

Tough to imagine how it couldn't look like a mess from the inside as well. When I worked briefly in there, it certainly was. It hasn't gone uphill since then!

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

We are talking about Doug Woolard here --- I'd obviously lean toward stupidity over malice!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's the burial ground. Everyone's been bewitched

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

Maybe it is just me, but I am holding on to hope that Willie Taggart will get the USF program turned around. And I am holding out hope that USF will hire a good basketball coach. Also, holding out hope that Harlan demands wins and does not let our coaches slack off and golf like Hotlz got to do. 

I think we're all hoping for that and more.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Maybe it is just me, but I am holding on to hope that Willie Taggart will get the USF program turned around. And I am holding out hope that USF will hire a good basketball coach. Also, holding out hope that Harlan demands wins and does not let our coaches slack off and golf like Hotlz got to do. 

Holtz was golfing one time that some recruits were on campus and everyone brings it up as if Holtz problem was that he was always at the golf course.  

Can we stop being stupid?  Spurrier golfs more in a month than Holtz golfed in a year at USF, and no one at South Carolina is running him out of town.

I'm sure Taggart also golfs.  Let's focus on the relevant, not the irrelevant.

Holtz was golfing one time that some recruits were on campus and everyone brings it up as if Holtz problem was that he was always at the golf course.  

Can we stop being stupid?  Spurrier golfs more in a month than Holtz golfed in a year at USF, and no one at South Carolina is running him out of town.

Really?

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

It was just an example on how Holtz didnt recruit good enough to win at USF. That is just the way it is. It is the only way you can explain how he won everywhere else, and then forgets how to coach at USF. His clock managment sucked. I dont think I know a coach that had worse clock managment skills. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

If the reports are true that an assistant AD was the one to tell Stan he was gone, my conjecture is that this was a knee jerk reaction by JG and there was no planning ahead of time. I think DW was of the mind, like a lot of us, that CSH should get one more year to see how he does with no ready excuses .... JG, bless her heart, may wear the same type G&G glasses that a lot in here wear, overvaluing the USF basketball head coach position, thinking it would be a snap getting anybody we wanted in here.