• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can't remember last time

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

Eh, rip all you want but it's the truth. I don't deal in tiptoeing.

Not only does it not matter to me, it doesn't matter to the rest of the nation (except players who play USF in those sports). And it doesn't put USF in the discussion of national relevance, which is what our school needs.

When's the last time you heard schools mentioned on ESPN, cbs, fox, etc BC they have a great soccer, golf, or softball team?

When it comes to relevance, it's about two sports in college. Men's bball, and football.

What do you think of nationally and sportswise when we mention these schools:

UConn

Duke

FSU

Miami

Va Tech

Wisconsin

NC State

Memphis

Maryland

Louisville

Hell, any P5 school (even some in our crap conference)

[Here's the answer: Football and Men's Basketball]

Ask an average joe walking down the street what he thinks of these schools, it will go to sports. And those two sports. They are relevant because of those two sports and their success in them.

The only problem with your comment is that it had no bearing on me sharing my joy of watching two wins.  I wasn't looking for a regurgitation of all that is wrong with USF sports.  Again, this is the trouble with the Bullspen the past year or so.  Everyone is looking for an argument/fight on every freakin topic.  Tiring and pointless.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

Time for another break from here I guess.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

We have become an angrier, and smaller, fan base.  It's not a "TheBullsPen" thing.  It's part of what's left of a fan base.  I can't imagine there is a happy haven anywhere else.

Hopefully, this turns around promptly.

The first thing that comes to mind at the mention of UCONN is WOMEN'S BASKETBALL.

If you haven't been around long.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  19

I am as big of a supporter of USF's Olympic sports as it comes. (both literally and figuratively)

I understand that when it comes to money, ticket sales, donations, national relevance .... football and men's basketball matter a whole lot more than everything else. 

With that being said, I take offense to statements like WBB doesn't matter at all, and nobody cares about WBB  (or any Olympic sport at USF). 

I take just as much joy and pleasure from watching a volleyball win or a WBB win as I do a football win or a MBB win. You don't have to agree with me, and I know most don't, not a problem. But don't tell me that one group of student athletes don't matter at all, or no one cares about a certain game. That sort of bold, sweeping, all encompassing, negative and factually incorrect statement is not constructive and completely uncalled for. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

Eh, rip all you want but it's the truth. I don't deal in tiptoeing.

Not only does it not matter to me, it doesn't matter to the rest of the nation (except players who play USF in those sports). And it doesn't put USF in the discussion of national relevance, which is what our school needs.

When's the last time you heard schools mentioned on ESPN, cbs, fox, etc BC they have a great soccer, golf, or softball team?

When it comes to relevance, it's about two sports in college. Men's bball, and football.

What do you think of nationally and sportswise when we mention these schools:

UConn

Duke

FSU

Miami

Va Tech

Wisconsin

NC State

Memphis

Maryland

Louisville

Hell, any P5 school (even some in our crap conference)

[Here's the answer: Football and Men's Basketball]

Ask an average joe walking down the street what he thinks of these schools, it will go to sports. And those two sports. They are relevant because of those two sports and their success in them.

Good grief, Hem, nobody's disputing the importance of those two sports over the others. The point is that some USF fans enjoy following the other USF sports, attending those USF games, etc. Those USF sports do matter to those USF fans, if not to you, so next time you come across a thread about one of those sports, a suggestion would be just move on rather than fulfilling some need to piss on someone's parade.

Again, I think you have to know where Hem's head is right now...he seems highly concerned with Football and MBB being below average.  Those are the big sports that do garner attention and revenue. 

If Hem meant that other student athletes don't matter at all, that's a different point altogether.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  19

Again, I think you have to know where Hem's head is right now...he seems highly concerned with Football and MBB being below average.  Those are the big sports that do garner attention and revenue. 

If Hem meant that other student athletes don't matter at all, that's a different point altogether.

It wasn't Hem that had me so fired up, it was the post by Bullcocky that nobody cares. While I don't agree with a lot of what Hem said, it wasn't what had me fired up. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Again, I think you have to know where Hem's head is right now...he seems highly concerned with Football and MBB being below average. Those are the big sports that do garner attention and revenue.

Spot on.

Other student athletes DO matter, and I love that they're excelling.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I am as big of a supporter of USF's Olympic sports as it comes. (both literally and figuratively)

I understand that when it comes to money, ticket sales, donations, national relevance .... football and men's basketball matter a whole lot more than everything else.

With that being said, I take offense to statements like WBB doesn't matter at all, and nobody cares about WBB (or any Olympic sport at USF).

I take just as much joy and pleasure from watching a volleyball win or a WBB win as I do a football win or a MBB win. You don't have to agree with me, and I know most don't, not a problem. But don't tell me that one group of student athletes don't matter at all, or no one cares about a certain game. That sort of bold, sweeping, all encompassing, negative and factually incorrect statement is not constructive and completely uncalled for.

Insert applause icon and cheers icon here

+1