• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

From the word choices it sounds like he walked but somehow must have got an incomplete or something in the summer. Bone headed. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him.

10 credits short....he would have have to be a moron to think he earned a degree. Liar, liar....
where did it say 10 credits short?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

He's too important to Manhattan. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Perhaps. That would make him VERY Machiavelian tho

And why would he not be as a head coach?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

It's in this from ESPN.

From the word choices it sounds like he walked but somehow must have got an incomplete or something in the summer. Bone headed. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I don't know him.

10 credits short....he would have have to be a moron to think he earned a degree. Liar, liar....

Per ESPN ...

According to multiple sources, Masiello is about 10 credits shy and will take classes to finish his degree in the next couple of months.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10745611/manhattan-jaspers-keep-coach-steve-masiello

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

It's in this from ESPN.

Per ESPN ...

According to multiple sources, Masiello is about 10 credits shy and will take classes to finish his degree in the next couple of months.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10745611/manhattan-jaspers-keep-coach-steve-masiello

thanks...I hadn't seen that one, but how on earth did they let him walk if he was 10 credits shy? is that common?

Edited by 2000bull

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

10 credits shy, he knows he didn't graduate.

Manhattan doesn't want to look like even bigger idiots than they arleady do for hiring him in the first place.

They kept him and "let him finish" his degree because they'd look stupid for firing him now.

Credit to USF for sticking to their guns and uncovering his lies.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

It's in this from ESPN.

Per ESPN ...

thanks...I hadn't seen that one, but how on earth did they let him walk if he was 10 credits shy? is that common?

The school I went to, McMaster University in Canada holds their graduation ceremonies in June. You get an invitation after grades are finalized and your graduation is confirmed. Here at USF I have seen multiple students walk the day after final exams finished that both I and the student knew were not meeting the graduation requirements. Usually they would need a couple summer courses or to take care of a procedural hurdle. In one case at the college of medicine a student was allowed to walk, after begging the dean, with the class she started with even though she needed an entire year of coursework to graduate. So yes, I would say it is common, at least at schools where they hold the ceremonies before grades can be finalized and graduations confirmed.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

When I was wrapping up my master's and still had to take my comp exams, USF gave me the option of "graduating" in Spring or Summer.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

It's in this from ESPN.

Per ESPN ...

The school I went to, McMaster University in Canada holds their graduation ceremonies in June. You get an invitation after grades are finalized and your graduation is confirmed. Here at USF I have seen multiple students walk the day after final exams finished that both I and the student knew were not meeting the graduation requirements. Usually they would need a couple summer courses or to take care of a procedural hurdle. In one case at the college of medicine a student was allowed to walk, after begging the dean, with the class she started with even though she needed an entire year of coursework to graduate. So yes, I would say it is common, at least at schools where they hold the ceremonies before grades can be finalized and graduations confirmed.

This is the case for many public Universities, as they go by a state schedule.

As it happens, the official grades are normally officially granted days after the commencements are held.

It kind of makes sense though.  It would take way too much time to figure out official status of every single senior.  Plus add in time to figure out inaccuracies or minor/unresolved issues that may occur.  This would cause way too much last-minute time scheduling issues especially for large universities such as USF.

Normally If you're registered for enough classes to cover the amount of credits you need to graduate that term you can walk.

Normally about 1/3 way through the last semester you have to fill out a graduation check/application, which is signed off by your college.

However if you happen to fail/withdrawal/cancel after that you can still walk.

As stated on the USF Grade site:

You are responsible for checking with your college for any additional graduation requirements and earlier application deadlines they may require. For example, the College of Engineering requires all engineering students to apply for graduation in the term prior to the anticipated graduation term. (Yeah the Engineering College doesn't mess around.  We had to be extra careful.)

For Undergraduates who will be participating, the Commencement ceremony takes place before degree certification for you and your fellow graduating class members is finalized in the Colleges. All potential degree awardees are subject to final approval or denial by the College of your respective major. Certification your degree is awarded is incomplete until well after grades are posted.

Its better to side with the student and let them walk and make up the lass afterwards, than have a student miss his commencement, since many students know each other in their class and would be a big disappointment.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

I would agree they would let him walk if he was in reason of graduating.  He was off by 10 credits.  Does this mean he dropped out that semester or did he need 10 additional credits. Not to mention he spend 4 years on campus. I think we know what he was doing. Its been 15 years and he still has not gotten it taken care of. Guy has some soul searching to do. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

10 credits is 3-4 classes.

3-4 classes was literally a million dollar difference maker. Let that be a lesson boys and girls.

• Upvote 1