• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five Question Friday #USFMBB Head Coach Search #USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

1)  Who do you believe, at this point, is the Bulls most likely/reasonable hire for head MBB coach?

2)  When do you believe USF will make/announce their hire?  Within a week, two weeks, end of tournament?

3)  Do you believe there will be key losses from Heath's roster?  If so, who?

4)  Based on your answer to Questions 1 & 3, how many wins next season?

5)  What are the key deliverables/steps you would like to see out of the new coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

1)  Who do you believe, at this point, is the Bulls most likely/reasonable hire for head MBB coach?

I believe USF will scramble and won't get the guy they've been focused on.  Therefore, my guess about who they would target next is a crapshoot, so I'll throw two names into the pot:  Mike White or Tommy Amaker 

2)  When do you believe USF will make/announce their hire?  Within a week, two weeks, end of tournament?

End of the tournament, is my guess.

Josh Heath is the only one I predict would leave and he may end up staying.

Crapshoot - 20 wins

5)  What are the key deliverables/steps you would like to see out of the new coach?

Keeping Collins, Perry and Egbunu

Getting new, highly rated recruits.

Motion offense (I'm through with watching guys stand around until the last 5-10 seconds on the shot clock)

Suffocating defense

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

1) Masiello

2) Next week

3) Yes, Josh Heath

4) 18

5) Pressure defense to create turnovers to lead to transition points, increase recruiting profile

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

1) Archie Miller or Pelphrey  (Amaker would be good but is probably headed to Boston College)

2) Just before the Final Four (that way the new coach can solicit assistant coaches at the Final Four....which is typically done each year)

3) yes, Josh Heath and Jovantae Hawkins.  However, I wish Hawk would stay

4) 19 wins

5) Much improved X's and O's.  Good connected coaches can find players anywhere (JUCO, etc) to fill roster spots

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Howland

After the tourney's over

Just Josh

Uptempo offense, higher Bball IQ, higher FT, 3P, and field goal %'s, better conditioning, ability to beat the press, inbounding!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I think Harlan will bring in someone that won't be considered doing it the "USF way"...I'm going to guess it's between Masiello, Michael White, or the Duke asst.

EDIT - by "USF way", I'm not meaning hiring a clean good guy, I meaning USFing it as in scrambling, procrastinating, and settling. This is a turning point hire for athletics, not just hoops.

I think either before Final Four weekend, to get it in the media a little bit. If not, after the dance is over.

Bold prediction: we lose Collins or Heath, but not both. Likely just Heath. But we may get a guy that comes from the coach we hire's former place (if he is currently employed).

.500 or better with this talent. A healthy AC. I think we see 17-20.

Improve offense, #1 priority, I'd rather lose a few shootouts than win a bunch of grind it outs. Puts butts in seats.

Keep core players, at least Perry and Egbunu, hopefully Collins.

Maintain recruiting, I think some of the guys on our list will be able to do that with ease.

Improve defense, not as big of a priority since we're decent, but make it more aggressive

Improve FT shooting and 3pt shooting (comes with #1, but should be huge offseason chore)

Maybe we can just hire the NDSU guy, he'll fit right in with the hand signals and school colors :D

capture_20140320_213045.jpg?w=1200

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I think Harlan will bring in someone that won't be considered doing it the "USF way"...I'm going to guess it's between Masiello, Michael White, or the Duke asst.

EDIT - by "USF way", I'm not meaning hiring a clean good guy, I meaning USFing it as in scrambling, procrastinating, and settling. This is a turning point hire for athletics, not just hoops.

I think either before Final Four weekend, to get it in the media a little bit. If not, after the dance is over.

Bold prediction: we lose Collins or Heath, but not both. Likely just Heath. But we may get a guy that comes from the coach we hire's former place (if he is currently employed).

.500 or better with this talent. A healthy AC. I think we see 17-20.

Improve offense, #1 priority, I'd rather lose a few shootouts than win a bunch of grind it outs. Puts butts in seats.

Keep core players, at least Perry and Egbunu, hopefully Collins.

Maintain recruiting, I think some of the guys on our list will be able to do that with ease.

Improve defense, not as big of a priority since we're decent, but make it more aggressive

Improve FT shooting and 3pt shooting (comes with #1, but should be huge offseason chore)

Maybe we can just hire the NDSU guy, he'll fit right in with the hand signals and school colors :D

capture_20140320_213045.jpg?w=1200

Bulls in disguise?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,450
  • Days Won:  13

Danny Manning

Before the final 4

Yes, Heath and Collins

16-18 (maybe a trip to the NIT)

keep the PG that committed as well as the Big MEn

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Still praying we pony up cash for Buzz or even take Howland...but if not then it's a crapshoot with some unproven assistant from a big name program.

If not just before the end of the tourney, then right after. If nothing happens soon, I'd suspect our new HC is in the tourney in some capacity.

Yes. Josh Heath will not want to stay, Collins may head to Texas depending on who we hire, and Hawkins is still saying he's leaving regardless of the coach (that was as of yesterday).

Praying for 20

Win. We have the pieces to have a great team, we need a coach that can put those pieces together and build this team up

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think we'll get an unproven assistant. USF always underwhelms with these types of hires. John Pelphrey is my guess.

I think it will be after the tournament concludes.

I'm under the assumption that AC can play immediately because he "sat out" this season. So, there's a real possibility he's going to leave. Josh will be gone.

My only concern anymore is postseason play. And I don't think we'll be in one. I'll say 16-17 wins. Max. If AC stays, we may do better.

Make me Bullieve again; we need a coach who can re-energize the fans me! I don't know if our new AD/USF heads realize that.

Bring in an unproven coach and we're all going to put on our  "next season!" t-shirts and play hope basketball again.

Edited by Beta4East1989