• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search Firm Chosen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Pretty sure that is the way the world of big time college athletics is working these days.  I could be wrong, but my guess is that most big time coaching hires are going to use search firms.  

For example, pretty sure everyone in college basketball knew who Steve Alford is.  Pretty sure everyone knew who UCLA is.  There are reasons his hire and most like it take this route.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

IMO, the main reason to use a search firm is to have off-the-record discussions. The principals can't do that under FOI laws.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Aren't the firms used to keep a lot of search away from prying eyes via the Sunshine law here? I do realize that some of our fans think they should be kept apprised hourly on what's going on ... 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

GMTA LOL

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

A lot of professions use them, (I work for one in the HealthCare field) (Staff hospitals for temp contracts 4 week to 16 week contracts)   Big Business for the staffing companies.   When I worked in the field (in the hospitals) Some of them would let me use staffing agencies, some wouldn't,  Seen it both ways.  

Cost associated  was the biggest reason for not being allowed to use the service.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

Forgive me if the idea of our administration forking out a substantial sum simply to avoid complying with the law is not terribly palatable to me. Even still, I don't think that's the real reason - they can still "have off the record discussions", the relevant sunshine laws apply to writings (i.e. E-mails).

This is a tit-for-tat situation. It's what these search firms trade on. Money is in short supply for us these days, and should not be used to repay a favor in this way.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

If in need, how does one go about searching for a search firm? Are there companies that do that?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233

Simple good search

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Did it occur to any of you that since Harlan is still employed by UCLA and does not take the USF job until April 7 that it might be a conflict of interest if he conducts the coaching search? This way the coaching search is conducted and Harlan only makes the decision based on recommendations given to him on April 7. Its going to be after the NCAA Tourney before USF names a new basketball coach. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Did it occur to any of you that since Harlan is still employed by UCLA and does not take the USF job until April 7 that it might be a conflict of interest if he conducts the coaching search? This way the coaching search is conducted and Harlan only makes the decision based on recommendations given to him on April 7. Its going to be after the NCAA Tourney before USF names a new basketball coach. 

He's taking over on Monday .... but you're basically right, it's much ado about nothing ... a staple of this board.