• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Hard to believe they will pay BB head coach more then Taggert . That's why Howland may fit , from what I've read he could take less $ from USF as UCLA would still be on the hook for the difference in his buy out.

I know this could be viewed as a short term solution but if he turns the program around he could put himself in position where USF would pay him considerably more money. The money he was making at UCLA will never be a realty for him again so he could be affordable to USF.

IMO you need to hire a person with a proven track record, someone who has had sustained success. Usually these people have proven they can build a winning system and can do it again. Having led 3 teams to the final 4 Howland fits that criteria.

Time will tell but I hope they go for a proven commodity & not potential for this hire.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Hard to believe they will pay BB head coach more then Taggert . That's why Howland may fit , from what I've read he could take less $ from USF as UCLA would still be on the hook for the difference in his buy out.

I know this could be viewed as a short term solution but if he turns the program around he could put himself in position where USF would pay him considerably more money. The money he was making at UCLA will never be a realty for him again so he could be affordable to USF.

IMO you need to hire a person with a proven track record, someone who has had sustained success. Usually these people have proven they can build a winning system and can do it again. Having led 3 teams to the final 4 Howland fits that criteria.

Time will tell but I hope they go for a proven commodity & not potential for this hire.

That paragraph confused me because I thought you meant 3 different programs to the Final 4 but you mean 3 UCLA teams in successive years. I'm actually more impressed with his turnaround of Northern Arizona than UCLA. It's a lot closer to the job here .... Plus, shows he's had a successful experience at a directional school.  B)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

Considering his current salary he's probably out of our price range. I think he's the best coach of all the "interested candidates" though.

Have you seen or know what our range is?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

wuh oh

So, it looks like Buzz and USF talks are legit. Our recent history is starting to scarily parallel Roaring 20s-to-Great Depression. #mubb

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

And prior to that, this

Golden Eagles Blog

The Journal Sentinel sports staff brings fans the latest news, notes and analysis on the Marquette men's basketball team
If it's March, Buzz Williams' name is linked to other jobs
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel    
March 17, 2014 3:52 p.m.

The latest rumors involve South Florida, a former Big East member that offers good weather, a decent arena and a wide recruiting base.

According to the Tampa Tribune, the names linked to the job at the moment are former UCLA coach Ben Howland, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy and Williams.

It's a little early in the process, but you know how these things work.

And Williams' name is always out there every March.

Williams is always being contacted and has turned down offers from SMU and the NBA in the past. He's got it good at Marquette with a $2.8 million annual salary, little external pressure and almost total autonomy. When push came to shove several months ago, it was the ahtletic director who left, not the basketball coach.

But if Williams is looing for a change after a 17-15 season, representing the first time he did not make the NCAAs in six seasons, this might be the time for him to look into it. The Golden Eagles struggled all this year and are going to be very young with holes next season. Plus, he doesn't know who the next AD will be.

Williams has also been linked to the Auburn opening, where the Tigers seem to be interested in former UW-Milwaukee coach Bruce Pearl.

I don't see Auburn as a good fit for Williams because of the low profile of Auburn basketball. It is also a place where coaching careers go to die. But the guy does enjoy a challenge.

Again, it's early in the game and more jobs are going to open. I'm not ready to discount the South Florida thing. The AD there has said there is a lot of interest in the job. I could see Williams being intrigued by that one, but he hasn't gotten back to me today.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250674541.html#ixzz2wGYVi64J
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Considering his current salary he's probably out of our price range. I think he's the best coach of all the "interested candidates" though.

Have you seen or know what our range is?

Nope, just speculation like everyone else here.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

No parachutes please

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Dont know the specifics as to why he would want to come here but I like his body of work. High charcter guy and productive. So eat that Bruce Pearl.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-basketball-coaching-search-in-discovery-phase-20140316/

Interesting quote from Harlan at that link. X's and O's are not part of the criteria? WTF?

“I'm going to try and be as stealth as possible. It's very important to get the right person and conduct our business in the right way.

“It could be a sitting head coach. It could be an assistant. We're not going to limit ourselves. If someone has the goods we're looking for — strong leader, great communicator, proven record of being able to recruit and develop players — then it doesn't matter where they are at this point.''

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

Dont know the specifics as to why he would want to come here but I like his body of work. High charcter guy and productive. So eat that Bruce Pearl.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-basketball-coaching-search-in-discovery-phase-20140316/

Interesting quote from Harlan at that link. X's and O's are not part of the criteria? WTF?

“I'm going to try and be as stealth as possible. It's very important to get the right person and conduct our business in the right way.

“It could be a sitting head coach. It could be an assistant. We're not going to limit ourselves. If someone has the goods we're looking for — strong leader, great communicator, proven record of being able to recruit and develop players — then it doesn't matter where they are at this point.''

Quit nitpicking ... He's not DW and that's all that matters right now.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Buzz also being considered by Auburn:

Pearl, the hottest name floating in coaching circles and around the Auburn fan base, has said he'd be willing to listen to Auburn and dodged a question on WJOX Friday about whether he's been contacted by the school.

Another name in the mix is Marquette's Buzz Williams, who has been mentioned as a potential target for the job in coaching circles, according to a source. Williams, whose streak of five NCAA Tournament appearances will end this year as the 17-15 Golden Eagles hope for an NIT berth, could be expensive after he made $1,888,891, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, and another $1 million payable to Team Buzz Williams LP, of which Williams is a partner, in 2012, the last year for which tax records have been released.

Link