• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

A school can win without hiring, "scumbags" (not my word).  Some of you seem to revel in the, "win at whatever cost" mentality.  Where we are as a sports department, we can't afford to have any kind of NCAA sanctions levied against us.  It could put us in a position that we may never recover.

There are winning candidates out there that don't have this kind of baggage.

I don't think that is most of the bullspen mentality when it came to Pearl, i think most us of admit he made a mistake while at Tenn. The problem is some on here have a hell no metality because he has one blemish(on record). I'm in the camp that you have to take risk like these sometimes to reap the rewards. No hire is a guarentee but someone with a proven track record is easier to get past his blemishes.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Nice work USF admin... Missed the boat again. Unless you can tear Smart away from VCU, we're going to continue to wallow away in the land of mediocrity. Thanks Doug for nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

A school can win without hiring, "scumbags" (not my word).  Some of you seem to revel in the, "win at whatever cost" mentality.  Where we are as a sports department, we can't afford to have any kind of NCAA sanctions levied against us.  It could put us in a position that we may never recover.

I don't think that is most of the bullspen mentality when it came to Pearl, i think most us of admit he made a mistake while at Tenn. The problem is some on here have a hell no metality because he has one blemish(on record). I'm in the camp that you have to take risk like these sometimes to reap the rewards. No hire is a guarentee but someone with a proven track record is easier to get past his blemishes.

See The_Sherriff's post above.

Nice work USF admin... Missed the boat again. Unless you can tear Smart away from VCU, we're going to continue to wallow away in the land of mediocrity. Thanks Doug for nothing.

So, you believe Bruce Pearl is the only coach that can win here?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

A school can win without hiring, "scumbags" (not my word). Some of you seem to revel in the, "win at whatever cost" mentality. Where we are as a sports department, we can't afford to have any kind of NCAA sanctions levied against us. It could put us in a position that we may never recover.

The guy lied about having a **** barbecue, he didn't crash his motorcycle with a mistress on the back who he hired to his staff. Big differences in level of "scumbag" here.

Pearl made a small mistake, and he paid for it. He will propel Auburn into relevance, and we will sit by and watch.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Dang.  This was one I really wanted.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Pearl WAS the only available coach that could win here. Those other retreads won't get it done. It's not an easy job - hence our track record over the last 30 years.

A school can win without hiring, "scumbags" (not my word). Some of you seem to revel in the, "win at whatever cost" mentality. Where we are as a sports department, we can't afford to have any kind of NCAA sanctions levied against us. It could put us in a position that we may never recover.

The guy lied about having a **** barbecue, he didn't crash his motorcycle with a mistress on the back who he hired to his staff. Big differences in level of "scumbag" here.

Pearl made a small mistake, and he paid for it. He will propel Auburn into relevance, and we will sit by and watch.

I wasn't referring to Pearl per se, just the attitude on this board that it doesn't matter what one has done as long as they can win.

BTW, he did a little more than lie about a BBQ, he knowingly violated NCAA rules by having a recruit at his BBQ (he told the recruit he wasn't supposed to have him there), then lied and tried to get others to lie about it.

For the record, I wasn't against Pearl being hired.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

Even if we would have contacted him, what makes anyone think we could have outbid Auburn for Pearl if it came down to it? Or that he would have even been interested for that matter? It's not like all we would have had to do was offer him the position and he would have jumped. Much ado about nothing.

Pearl WAS the only available coach that could win here. Those other retreads won't get it done. It's not an easy job - hence our track record over the last 30 years.

If even if that were true (I don't believe it is), you have no idea if he even had any interest in the position here.  He probably was in talks with Auburn before we even had an opening.