• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Let me make this clear, there is no better head coach for USF that's available then Bruce Pearl, nobody. There is Bruce Pearl and then the rest that includes Ben Howland, Manning, any other HC that is either available or attainable.

I don't like to guarantee anything, but USF becoming a power under Pearl's leadership is as close to a guarantee there is in hoops. I have watched a lot of basketball, college and pro, but I have never seen a better coach then Pearl. There are coaches that can win because of overwhelming talent, Big Dog in a smaller conference, or being the darlings of CBB. Again I was right there to see Pearl take a Tenn team with a roster that makes this past season's USF roster look like Kansas or Syracuse and win with them. If Pearl was coaching this last USF team that lost 20 games under Heath, we all would have been glued to Selection Sunday to see where the Bulls will be playing, when and where the game was being playing.

Having lost their two leading scorers from a team that had went 14–17 the previous season, and dismissing another player, having the best recruit opted out and go somewhere else, Pearl took that under talented/limited roster, and had Tenn ranked in the top 25 by December, after his team went to the #2 ranked team's homecourt and smashed them. I'm not sure how many of you'll understand how amazing that was. Took a team that was picked to finish at the bottom of the SEC and in a month had them ranked in the top 25. Remember the SEC was either the best or close to the best basketball conference in the nation at the time and Pearl kept Tenn near the top.

Again I'm not sure he's the next HC at USF, but I'm sure Harlan, search committee, boosters/BOT whoever WILL NOT find a better coach then Bruce Pearl. We might find a good one but not a better one.

Now with that out of the way we carry on with the speculation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Some Twitter mentions about him being a top candidate for the Auburn job

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Unfortunately Pearl might cost more than we can afford if Auburn is really interested in him

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Unfortunately Pearl might cost more than we can afford if Auburn is really interested in him

The longer it drags out it would mean that another school is involved with Pearl. That other school will be USF, because there is no other openings that a guy like Pearl would be interested in. South Florida and Auburn are the #1 and #2 job openings in that order. If Pearl isn't announced as Auburn's HC in the next 48-72 hrs then USF has his interest. Auburn is rumored to be after Buzz Williams if the Pearl things falls through. Because of the limited good jobs available, USF and Auburn will have some of the same names attached to them. USF is a much better job, but Auburn can pay the most money.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

I really hope that Pearl gets an interview just because I want to see BD's reaction.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I really hope that Pearl gets an interview just because I want to see BD's reaction.

Qft

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Qft

I had very little opinion on the matter until BD went Fatal Attraction and I started reading up on Pearl. Now, he's hands down my #1 choice.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Qft

I had very little opinion on the matter until BD went Fatal Attraction and I started reading up on Pearl. Now, he's hands down my #1 choice.

If USF hires Pearl, then does that mean we won't see Bull Daily's head explode into a cloud of rainbows, puppies, and Rocky D. Bull plush toys?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If Pearl got hired, all that would do is make BD use one less exclamation point at the end of his sentences ...

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Bruce Pearl met with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs on Monday night in Knoxville, Tenn., and is strongly considering taking the job, sources told ESPN.

[+] Enlargencb_e_pearl11_300x300.jpg
Joe Faraoni/ESPN ImagesBruce Pearl has a career 231-99 coaching record at the Division I level in 10 seasons at Milwaukee and Tennessee.

Pearl, 54, was fired in 2011 after taking Tennessee to six consecutive NCAA tournaments. He has worked for ESPN as an analyst the past two years.

Auburn fired Tony Barbee last week after the Tigers finished 14-16 and 6-12 in the SEC. Barbee was 49-75 in four seasons.

Pearl spent four seasons at Milwaukee and took the program to two NCAA tournaments -- including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005. He was hired at Tennessee in 2005 and was 145-61 in six seasons with the Vols.

He was fired for lying to the NCAA in March 2011 and given a three-year show cause by the NCAA. The show-cause expires in August and will not allow him to have contact with recruits this summer. Pearl, however, will be allowed to evaluate recruits in the all-important July recruiting period.