• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF should hire Al Skinner???

Guest PCBull14

ehhh I would not be happy with that hire. 7-9 in the big dance which is very sub par for the type of teams he had in the regular season. Great coaches get in done in the tournament. He was less then average to close out his BC tenure.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  2,441
  • Days Won:  19

ehhh I would not be happy with that hire. 7-9 in the big dance which is very sub par for the type of teams he had in the regular season. Great coaches get in done in the tournament. He was less then average to close out his BC tenure.

I'm not for Skinner either but 7-9 in his career is better than 2-3, which is USF's NCAA tournament record in the entire school's history. If I could have had 7-9 over the last 20 years instead of of 2-1 I would gladly take the extra 8 trips to the dance, even if it only lead to 5 more wins. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If that's the definition, we might be the worst top to bottom major conference out there next year.  

I just don´t feel like it's that good of a league to deserve "major" status, but if that's it we should take it.

Sports Illustrated considers the AAC a "power conference"

By their reckoning, there are 8 such power conferences

- 5 power-football conferences:  ACC, B10, B12, P12, SEC

- 3 power-basketball conferences:  AAC, A10, nBE

Here's to hoping that the AAC kicks its way back to the bigboyz table in football too

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140316/bubble-watch-bracket-watch-march-16-selection-sunday/

4. Where have all the mid-majors gone?

The current SI.com field of 68 has exactly one mid-major team earning an at-large bid, and even that team, the BYU Cougars, is one of the last four in. It was just the beginning of this decade that Butler went to the national championship game in back-to-back seasons and was joined in that latter year by VCU. Now, their mid-major brethren could be all but shut out of at-large consideration this season. What happened?

Quite simply, conference realignment killed the traditional mid-major. The new look Big East -- which includes Creighton, Butler and Xavier -- and the brand new AAC absorbed many teams we used to consider mid-majors into what are now power conferences. The Atlantic 10, on the strength of Saint Louis and VCU, doesn't exactly pass the smell test as a mid-major either. Add those to the traditional power conferences, and there just isn't a ton of room for the mid-majors of 2013-14 to make the dance.

As it stands, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech and UW-Green Bay are the only true mid-majors alive for at-large bids. Those three teams have combined for exactly four top-50 wins while losing seven times to sub-100 teams. It's not that they don't have good enough resumes to beat teams in the SI.com bracket, but the committee would have trouble taking them over teams like Florida State, Minnesota, Arkansas, California and Missouri.

Here is their bracket, BTW. All 5 of the good AAC teams made it, though SMU has to play their way in.

EAST

1. Michigan

__16.Wofford

8. Oklahoma State

__9. Colorado

4. Cincinnati

__13. Stephen F. Austin

5. North Carolina

__12.Tennessee/BYU

3. Iowa State

__14. Tulsa

6. Kentucky

__11. Gonzaga

7. Saint Louis

__10. Iowa

2. Villanova

__15.UW-Milwaukee

MIDWEST

1. Wichita State

__16. Texas Southern/Cal-Poly

8. Massachusetts

__9. Pittsburgh

4. Michigan State

__13. Mercer

5. Connecticut

__12. North Dakota State

3. Duke

__14. Manhattan

6. VCU

__11. Xavier

7. Memphis

__10. Stanford

2. Kansas

__15. New Mexico State

SOUTH

1. Florida

__16. Mount St. Mary's/Coastal Carolina

8. Oregon

__9. Kansas State

4. San Diego State

__13. Western Michigan

5. Ohio State

__12. Harvard

3. Louisville

__14. North Carolina Central

6. UCLA

__11. Dayton/SMU

7. Baylor

__10. Saint Joseph's

2. Virginia

__15. Weber State

WEST

1. Arizona

__16. Albany

8. George Washington

__9. Nebraska

4. Creighton

__13. Georgia State

5. Oklahoma

__12. Delaware

3.Syracuse

__14. American University

6. Texas

__11. Providence

7. New Mexico

__10. Arizona State

2. Wisconsin

__15. Eastern Kentucky

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I see it more like Alan Dell of the Bradenton Herald:

USF is now in a Catch-22. The AAC will lose Louisville next season and is considered more of a mid-major. The competition won't be as tough on the floor, but the recruiting might be more difficult.

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/03/15/5047287/usf-bulls-heaths-firing-leaves.html

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,590
  • Days Won:  3

I really think this is as good of a basketball conference as USF can be in.  While the AAC isn't a P5, on a bball level it is highly competetive.

Memphis, UCONN, Cincy and SMU are all tourney teams this year. It's a conference you don't have to win the tourney to get into the NCAA's but is also not so difficult like the Big East where you're getting tested every single week, 2-3 times a week.

The Big East had flash, it had Boeheim it had MSG, it had John Thompson, it had Villanova, it had final fours, but it also absolutely creamed USF. We can be much more competitive in the AAC than we could've been in the BE. I think coaches see USF as a great location, with great facilities and in a perfect conference.

I mean look, we got turned down by Anthony Grant and Gregg Marshall when we where in the Big East. Clearly, conference is not as important in bball.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,195
  • Days Won:  42

Brad just has to stop Bullieving in all that garbage that he reads about the AAC being not strong.  UConn, Memphis, SMU, Cincy etc will disagree. He will learn. Had to coach Brad up for C-USA back in the days and we will coach him up for AAC. Just the way it is . 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

LOL

The Big 3 in the AAC are followed by the Abysmal 7...or however many there will be when Tulane, et al, join.

But yeah, I'll put us up against the Big 10, Pac12 Big 12, or ACC any day!

:)

Maybe we can compete between now and the conference being choked out.

LOL

The Big 3 in the AAC are followed by the Abysmal 7...or however many there will be when Tulane, et al, join.

It is tough!! You got to work with me on this!!! You been through the SunBelt, Metro, and C-USA!!! You can get through the AAC. USF needs all of us!!!  It is the best we can do right now so we have to defend our family. I consider USF my family. Will keep sticking up for AAC as long as USF is in it. 

LOL

It is tough!! You got to work with me on this!!! You been through the SunBelt, Metro, and C-USA!!! You can get through the AAC. USF needs all of us!!!  It is the best we can do right now so we have to defend our family. I consider USF my family. Will keep sticking up for AAC as long as USF is in it. 

And I know you are in ASU land. So it is hard to keep that USF spirit alive out in PAC 12 land. My brother is a Sun Devil, so I know how it is when I visit him in Tempe. I wear my USF gear loud and proud when I am out west on Mill Ave.  I understand everything that you have been saying about ASU. Would love for USF to have Herb Sendik as he was a great coach at NC ST and now at ASU. So yes, it must be hard for you to keep that USF spirit alive out west. 

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs to make a splash and hire a name?