• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting take on student attendance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

The only issue with the loyalty points system is that it bets when the reward is considered cheap or valueless. You wouldn't enter a 1 dollar raffle to win a 10 dollar gift card to chipotle. You would if the prize was a dinner at say, Sideberns. 

I was a student when the loyalty point system was implemented, and back then, it worked fantastically. The nonrevenue sports got excellent attendance and quite a few students found sports they like attending. Volleyball and Soccer got major boosts out of that. 

But now? Who wants to attend a football game? Sure, there are some die hards, or fans of other schools who will show up (see Miami last year). But until the product on the field itself is valuable,  you won't see students show up. 

A few years ago, I wouldn't have endorsed reducing the student section from it's current capacity. Now I feel it needs to happen-those are prime seats in the 200s that are being wasted while not having any students there, and they could be selling for 200-300 a year in season tickets. 8000 is enough until we show we can be big again. You can pull the upper deck ticket holders back down to the lower levels and give them a discount to upgrade-say let them come down for 50 per ticket.

Why not have loyalty points based off ALL on campus functions? Something like "priority points" used on season ticket holders.

Also why not let those Loyalty points role over to priority points once the students graduate seems like a good way to encourage new alumni to buy premium seats and pushout the old cranks in the lower bowl.

That's not a bad idea. Recent graduates do get lower prices in their first year, but would be nice if people didn't tell me "sit down" (when the stadium has people anyway. Right now I kind of have my row as a luxury suite to myself). It was kind of sad when Miami fans were telling me last year it was okay to cheer on my team and to be as loud as I wanted. 

That's my point, Harlan has to sell the idea that student participation DOES have a value. We can all get better seats at games now, but it's the future that I'm betting on.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I would bet $1 for $10 chipotle

:facepalm:  

You're missing the point. 

I am hungry

Chipotle > Sideberns

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Trib had an interesting article today about the New AD and a comment that stood out, Lack of students at games basically equates to lack of alumni at games.   We need to build the student attendance , its been pathetic over the years minus the winning year(ranked season) and big games.    No excuses students need to show up and support their classmates.  

Im all for loyalty points for students.  Bull freak unfort the OLD CRANKS as you say are the only ones showing up and actually paying for their tickets and making donations. Without them  there would be NO FOOTBALL.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I went to a half dozen ASU basketball games and they know how to organize a student section. I would guess Mr. Harlan is aware of them. It won't be a top priority, but it would be nice to see the same effort and outcome at USF.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Offer limetime publix subs to one lucky season ticket holder a year

Sellout crowd for infinity

thnx

(Should have made me AD)

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we can barely get people to come when tickets are $5.  we have much larger problems.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I went to a half dozen ASU basketball games and they know how to organize a student section. I would guess Mr. Harlan is aware of them. It won't be a top priority, but it would be nice to see the same effort and outcome at USF.

I've seen the ASU female population it I was you I would make more than a half dozen :yeahbaby:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305

The only issue with the loyalty points system is that it bets when the reward is considered cheap or valueless. You wouldn't enter a 1 dollar raffle to win a 10 dollar gift card to chipotle. You would if the prize was a dinner at say, Sideberns. 

I was a student when the loyalty point system was implemented, and back then, it worked fantastically. The nonrevenue sports got excellent attendance and quite a few students found sports they like attending. Volleyball and Soccer got major boosts out of that. 

But now? Who wants to attend a football game? Sure, there are some die hards, or fans of other schools who will show up (see Miami last year). But until the product on the field itself is valuable,  you won't see students show up. 

A few years ago, I wouldn't have endorsed reducing the student section from it's current capacity. Now I feel it needs to happen-those are prime seats in the 200s that are being wasted while not having any students there, and they could be selling for 200-300 a year in season tickets. 8000 is enough until we show we can be big again. You can pull the upper deck ticket holders back down to the lower levels and give them a discount to upgrade-say let them come down for 50 per ticket.

Because again, there's currently no value or real demand for football tickets. The system worked great in 2008-2010 when we were winning, but by my last year in 2011, we were starting to see a little bit of the fall back and I no longer had trouble getting tickets even without going to other events. 

Now, if you put in a new incentive system, perhaps students would start going again. For example, offer more face time to students with USF leadership. So, let's say you get 1000 loyalty points, you get an invitation to a students only event with Mark Harlan to talk athletics. If you get 1500, you get to participate in an hour long meeting with 9 other students with Dr. Genshaft. If you get 2000,  you get assistance to go to a Bulls road game to one of our more premiere opponents (for example this season getting a trip to Camp Randall or Cincinnati, or at FSU in a few years). Give people something valuable and you'll see turnout. 

dang. Took the words right out of my mouth. From 2008-2010 when we were good and football tickets were a hot commodity I remember going to literally every event on campus if it added up to points. I remember getting to apply for my student ticket before the freshmen did in 2009 because of all the points I had accumulated. Stuff like that adds up. It is like a business. You need to treat your customers like they are part of a special club. They may not be, but people like that feeling and will pay money/time for it. That feeling no longer exists for USF football. I can get a front row seat 3 minutes to kickoff for $10 now. Why would I need to sit through a chess club match for 50 points?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233

Because again, there's currently no value or real demand for football tickets. The system worked great in 2008-2010 when we were winning, but by my last year in 2011, we were starting to see a little bit of the fall back and I no longer had trouble getting tickets even without going to other events. 

Now, if you put in a new incentive system, perhaps students would start going again. For example, offer more face time to students with USF leadership. So, let's say you get 1000 loyalty points, you get an invitation to a students only event with Mark Harlan to talk athletics. If you get 1500, you get to participate in an hour long meeting with 9 other students with Dr. Genshaft. If you get 2000,  you get assistance to go to a Bulls road game to one of our more premiere opponents (for example this season getting a trip to Camp Randall or Cincinnati, or at FSU in a few years). Give people something valuable and you'll see turnout. 

dang. Took the words right out of my mouth. From 2008-2010 when we were good and football tickets were a hot commodity I remember going to literally every event on campus if it added up to points. I remember getting to apply for my student ticket before the freshmen did in 2009 because of all the points I had accumulated. Stuff like that adds up. It is like a business. You need to treat your customers like they are part of a special club. They may not be, but people like that feeling and will pay money/time for it. That feeling no longer exists for USF football. I can get a front row seat 3 minutes to kickoff for $10 now. Why would I need to sit through a chess club match for 50 points?

This^    , Thank you Doug for killing a fan base under your watch. Time to distance ourselves from this clown, if we have any hope of saving the few fans we have left.  

14,000 for a D1 football game is pathetic. 3,000 to 4,000 to a D1 BB game is also pathetic when we are playing teams ranked in the top 25 (some in the top 10 ) on a regular basis.   

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Why not have loyalty points based off ALL on campus functions? Something like "priority points" used on season ticket holders.

The Gimmie Generation!   You are not a football fan if you don't show up for football games unless you get something free for showing up!

Excuse me, were you a student while USF has had a football program? The only thing "free" is the price of admission. 

Let me count back to three years when i was a student. If I wanted to go to a football game i had to pay for the following: 

1. Gas for my car.

2. Parking at the stadium. 

3. Student fees for the right to see the football team without paying for a ticket in another location. Student fees I may add, that have been massively mishandled by Doug Woolard. Students don't have a choice on fees. You my friend, have a choose as to whether you want to buy season tickets.  

4. Food if I wanted it. 

Apparently you must have barely passed Macroeconomics, because you missed the message "there is no such thing as a free lunch."