• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mark Harlan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

We all seemed to give our search committee a vote of confidence based on their qualifications.  I'd like to trust that Jeff Vinik et. al. knew, from the inside, what our department needed and got the candidate that would best fill those needs.

I'm going to do what I can to support Mr. Harlan so that he is successful.

^This

I agree 100%. Innocent until proven guilty in my book.

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

The guy is the Athletic Department executive with direct responsibility, management and oversight for the UCLA basketball team. If you aren't aware they have won 11 national Championships. That is three more than the next closest team. That is arguably one of the most prestigious positions in all college athletics.

How much more flash do you want?

You realize they havent won a championship while he has been there.

Edited by redfisher78

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Who had ever heard of Tom Jurich before he arrived at UL?

A lot of people.  He was the youngest AD in D1 history when he was appointed at Northern Arizona.  Had a ton of success there.  Then went to CSU and had a ton of success there (in every important facet: football, basketball, fundraising, and facilities).  I am underwhelmed with Harlan overall, but hope I am wrong.  But ANYONE using Jurich as a measuring stick is going to be sorely disappointed even if Harlan turns out to be a decent choice.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

We all seemed to give our search committee a vote of confidence based on their qualifications. I'd like to trust that Jeff Vinik et. al. knew, from the inside, what our department needed and got the candidate that would best fill those needs.

I'm going to do what I can to support Mr. Harlan so that he is successful.

How dare you give a guy the opportunity to prove himself? What kind of Bullspen guy are you? Shame, shame on you.

:eyeroll

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The guy is the Athletic Department executive with direct responsibility, management and oversight for the UCLA basketball team. If you aren't aware they have won 11 national Championships. That is three more than the next closest team. That is arguably one of the most prestigious positions in all college athletics.

What does that have to do with anything? UCLA has as much or more BB tradition than any other program in the nation. They don't put someone in that kind of position, with that kind of responsibility if the guy is not a very capable guy.

Is that the most important qualification for a flashy hire? That he has managed a winning program?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What does that have to do with anything? UCLA has as much or more BB tradition than any other program in the nation. They don't put someone in that kind of position, with that kind of responsibility if the guy is not a very capable guy.

Is that the most important qualification for a flashy hire? That he has managed a winning program?

No - they need to have managed MULTIPLE winning programs, across several major sports

And they need to have the seamstress skills to make silk purses ...

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Is Arizona full of Movie Stars??????????

Is"Prior to coming to UCLA, Harlan served as the Senior Vice President for Central Development at The University of Arizona Foundation. Working directly with the university and Foundation presidents, he oversaw university-wide annual giving, corporate relations, communication and marketing, donor services, gift planning, and scholarships."

http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30500&ATCLID=207914455

As a matter of fact  a large fraction of Zona's students come from Southern California and return there as Alumnus.

Wonder why?

http://tftv.arizona.edu/faculty_staff

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Got to give him a chance.  Not sure what others were expecting in terms of "flash."  Seems to me they're looking for someone who can raise money, which is good because USF athletics needs it.  

This isn't a coaching hire.   I wasn't expecting to recognize any names in our pool of candidates, except perhaps for a few locals.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, when I first saw 'UCLA's Mark Harlan' here...I mistook for 'UCLA's Mark Harmon' and was WTFing!