• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mark Harlan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Judy appears to be clueless about what our priorities are and she doesn't seem to be listening to much of the sage advice which is available. She's a cheerleader when it comes to jumping in on the successes but is nowhere to be found when the going gets tough..

:facepalm:

LOL, I see I'm not the only one responding this way to Bullwinkle's posts.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I am also underwhelmed after doing some research. Tom Jurich he does not appear to be. Hopefully he will surprise us all when he becomes top dog, but my sense is that there will be a steep learning curve and I'm glad we will have a transition period.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Without being privy to the profile of what they are looking for in a candidate and how the interview process went, no reason not to support the candidate that is hired.

Other than the one article about students complaining about a seating program, I haven't seen anything that indicates he hasn't been successful in any job or responsibilities he has held.

He successfully managed the fundraising and completion of Pauley Pavilion renovation. Improved ticket sales and donations, etc.

UCLA basketball has been at or near the top of the PAC12. Not under his direct leadership, but the football team has been one of the better teams, in a pretty tough conference, since he has been on board. Locked up a long term lease with the Rose Bowl. He was part of the turnaround team in football at San Jose State.

Maybe he has a good personality, maybe he is a ***** until you meet him you don't know (some jobs require a *****).

Guys, you are not getting Jurich and my guess is most people around here would have complained about hiring him when he first took the job anyway.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Who had ever heard of Tom Jurich before he arrived at UL? He inherited a Louisville athletic program that was a hot mess . Jurich quickly got to work in building facilities that would attract good coaches and made UL competitive in conference and nationally in just about all sports. This ultimately helped UL get an ACC invitation.

however, Harlan's jib one is to win back the trust and support of the fanbase. I see way too many longtime Bulls supporters who have given up tickets, have tickets and don't go to games...or just flat out stop caring. These are going to be the toughest ppl to win back.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

If you think the UCLA students are complaining about seating just wait until USF actually builds an OCS.

As for the hire, he knows more about the job than any one of us on TBP, so we'll see how that pans out in the next few years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

Seems like a safe hire. Like a lot of us on here, I was hoping for more flash. But we may need safety more right now. Skin is right, only time will tell.

I'm interested in the contract terms when the official comes out. We have a historic tendency of getting shanked on them, and I'd imagine Harlan will take advantage of that fact.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

The guy is the Athletic Department executive with direct responsibility, management and oversight for the UCLA basketball team. If you aren't aware they have won 11 national Championships. That is three more than the next closest team. That is arguably one of the most prestigious positions in all college athletics.

How much more flash do you want?

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

We all seemed to give our search committee a vote of confidence based on their qualifications.  I'd like to trust that Jeff Vinik et. al. knew, from the inside, what our department needed and got the candidate that would best fill those needs.

I'm going to do what I can to support Mr. Harlan so that he is successful.

Edited by Ricky the Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

We all seemed to give our search committee a vote of confidence based on their qualifications.  I'd like to trust that Jeff Vinik et. al. knew, from the inside, what our department needed and got the candidate that would best fill those needs.

I'm going to do what I can to support Mr. Harlan so that he is successful.

How dare you give a guy the opportunity to prove himself?  What kind of Bullspen guy are you?  Shame, shame on you.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed. I am going to believe this is a great hire until proven otherwise. Any change is a reason for hope at this point.