• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Stan be given one more year or be let go asap?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

He will have a short leash under the new AD. I think he has this coming year to show that he can coach up his top 25 class and show big improvement.

If he can't, he's done.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Ben Howland wasn't safe around Harlan and the UCLA AD.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Ben Howland or Bruce Pearl would work for me if Stan got fired.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I was unaware many people nationwide cared enough about us to have an opinion.

It's only nationwide because Vega may know a few people, on the internet, outside of Tampa.  

The team is poised for a good year next year, but if I am a new hire as an AD and I understood basketball, I would make the change immediately and bring in a big name, proven coach.  No matter who the coach is next year this team will be on the upswing...and for the next few years as well.  This is such an easy situation now for an AD to look like a shining star to bring if he makes a change.  

Sons....you have to do better then that.

Which coaches are on the hot seat?

Heathmug.jpg

Stan Heath | South Florida

History: 97-124 in 7th season at USF, 1 NCAA tourney appearances

This season: 12-15

Why he is on the hot seat: Heath has made just three NCAA tournaments in his past 11 seasons (at Arkansas and USF), and he's about to miss the Field of 68 for the sixth time in seven years at USF. Even worse, the Bulls have, to date, gone 6-26 in league play the past two seasons, meaning that NCAA tournament in 2012 seems like forever ago now.

Will he survive it? It doesn't look like it. Things are bad, and there's no tangible reason to think they'll get better. If that's the case, what is the point of prolonging the inevitable? That's the question USF fans are asking. And, honestly, I don't have a good answer for them.

Gary Parrish of CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24449915/which-coaches-are-on-the-hot-seat

The podcast so you can hear them talk about it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24449939/eye-on-college-basketball-podcast-coaches-hot-seat-edition

Pat Forde of Fox-Yahoo sports

Stan Heath (18), South Florida.

Tenure: Seventh season; 97-103 overall, 37-82 in Big East/American Athletic play.

This year: 12-12 overall, 3-8 in AAC.

The problem: Heath has been living on 2012, when the Bulls went 22-14 and won two games in the NCAA tournament. But the record before and since is ghastly. He’s 6-23 in league play the last year-plus, and this year’s team can neither shoot from the outside nor handle the ball worth a darn. If this ends up being a fifth losing season out of seven, keeping him will be a tough sell – if the fans care enough to be outraged.

The potential saving grace: If the fans don’t care, maybe the administration won’t be compelled to make a move. And football has become such a grease fire at USF that it is probably demanding more attention and resources.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--fan-abuse-is-becoming-an-epidemic-in-college-basketball-085738246-ncaab.html

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

He will have a short leash under the new AD. I think he has this coming year to show that he can coach up his top 25 class and show big improvement.

If he can't, he's done.

I thought so too, until the epic failures to hold double-digit leads against the bottom-dwellers in the last two games.

I've had enough.

I was unaware many people nationwide cared enough about us to have an opinion.

It's only nationwide because Vega may know a few people, on the internet, outside of Tampa.  

Here is some more.

Stan Heath, South Florida – It’s should always be a concern when a coach gets fired from a premier job like Arkansas and a lower-tier program immediately snaps that coach up. Considering USF is one of the largest schools in the country and located in state of Florida, it’s hard to understand why the Bulls can’t have a strong program. Florida Gulf Coast was the NCAA Cinderella last year and Coach Andy Enfield parlayed that run into the head job at Southern Cal. There is too much in-state talent and ample resources at USF for this program to continue to be a doormat each year. Would the nomadic Larry Brown, currently at SMU, be up for this challenge?

http://theoffseasonreport.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/2014-college-basketball-hot-seat-and-potential-replacements/

Which NCAA coaches are on the hot seat and should be fired after the season is over?

http://sidelinesapp.com/item/which-ncaa-coaches-are-on-the-hot-seat-and-should-be-fired-after-the-season-is-over/

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think it is such a clear cut decision. My question is, if you are the new AD, do you come in with guns blazing and fire Stan then go out and see who is available in essence, make the move to make a statement or do you come in, understand the situation and make a move only if you can get a big name, proven winner if not keep Stan on the hot seat for another year while you organize your plan?

I don't think it is such a clear cut decision. My question is, if you are the new AD, do you come in with guns blazing and fire Stan then go out and see who is available in essence, make the move to make a statement or do you come in, understand the situation and make a move only if you can get a big name, proven winner if not keep Stan on the hot seat for another year while you organize your plan?

Harlan will already have a plan and he already will have a list of coaches in mind. Keeping Stan around another year is prolonging what's bound to happen anyway. You all hoping Stan gets a year and can somehow help guide USF to the NIT or the NCAA bubble again and keep his job are under false hope. NIT and NCAAT bubble is not impressive to an AD like Harlan. It wasn't impressive for Stan at Arkansas and he got fired, and it won't be impressive at USF either and he'll get terminated again.

That's the great thing about the hiring of Mark Harlan. Him being a complete outsider with higher expectations, he is not going to have this supposedly USF mentality of "hoping to be decent every now and then in hoops is good enough for us." That is not and will not be good enough for him. He wants a consistent winner and a program that is well respected nationally. A program that makes annual trips to the NCAAT and is always a threat to do damage when there. USF has all the things in place capable of doing that except at the head coaching position where current man Stan Heath is everything but a proven and consistent winner.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

How'd that work out for Arkansas? I'm sure they would take Stan back?

How'd that work out for Arkansas? I'm sure they would take Stan back?

I'm sure they wouldn't, but they would probably take former AD Frank Broyles back if he's still alive and kicking. Broyles was out the door but on his way out the last thing he did was fire Stan Heath. Reportedly Broyles never wanted to hire Heath in the 1st place, but was force to due to Stan Heath being black and the image of the University that the school president and others wanted to change. Nobody of sound mind would take Stan Heath over Bill Self, but the University felt it had to due to the Nolan Richardson fiasco.

Edited by Vega